What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I started building some stronger spare tire relocation brackets. When I initially installed it, there was a stud that started pulling through (even though I used a torque wrench) and it bothered me.

The new ones will be fabricated out of 5/16" 316L plate and will have back welded studs in it. I will pull the remaining studs from the cast aluminum pieces and use them as spacers along with the stainless plate.

I am pretty happy with how they are turning out thus far since I do not have a fab shop or a huge selection of fabrication tools.

BM6Ypp.jpg
Now halfway there. I need to pull the remaining studs from the aluminum and drill the stainless beneath and then fit and weld the new stainless studs into the plate.

So far so good!

BWdNa4.jpg

PJJPtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '21 JLUR, '18 Sahara, Viper TT, Gallardo
Bought an electric power washer (hate hauling out the bigger gas one out) for hand washing JL since I can’t run it through the car wash (one-touch power top).
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? BWdNa4
I run my one touch through the car wash…

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Hello, thank you.
Front bumper is the "DV8 Offroad Modular Front Bumper with Bull Bar" -- happy to share some build observations/experiences -- net-net, if you take your time (and be sure to remove grille and inside brackets for winch plate, it is a solid build).
I haven’t seen that one, I didn’t know DV8 made one so close to the Mopar bumper.
Thanks

jstew182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Sting-Gray
I do have the Sunrider installed and there are no issue with it's functionality and this rack. Attached a pic showing the space between them.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? PXL_20210513_003914631.MP

It looks like you have the Sunrider installed. Does it interfere with the rack when you open it up? I have been eyeing a roof rack that would still allow me to open my Sunrider.

SkanTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? B834A412-3FB3-45ED-9669-3FAB9BFE659F
Installed a new soft top today. Just got the Jeep a week ago so this will be a project for the summer. Next up, wheels and tires. 49 degrees out here right now, felt like I was wrestling a gorilla trying to get the top and windows in. I guess I should have waited for a warmer day.

Keram75

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL
Installed...
Panels going back in are a lot more snug than coming out... Press down then in along the doors and floor. Broke one clip that is not easily replaced on the grey wiring guards. Other than that its fine. Cant say im particulalry thrilled with an instruction set that just says "reinstall panels" without some type of disclaimer, reminder, things will not line up as they came out.

I would not do again simply for the amount of part removals just to put the stuff in. I look forward to many new rattles.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? B834A412-3FB3-45ED-9669-3FAB9BFE659F
What procedure you follow prior removal front seats? Are they with air bags?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I did something crazy, I put my soft top into the sun rider position and drove the Jeep. Luckily the rear windows didn’t spontaneously pop out. 😂😂

Sorry away from all my tools so nothing crazy here.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I purchased my 2018 Jeep JLU Sahara on June 16 of that year. So, since I'm coming up on my 3rd year of ownership, I decided to get a new set of tires for it. After a lot of research, I settled on a set of Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 tires in LT275/65R18. I think they look great with their aggressive tread design and fairly large tread lugs. I think they are going to serve me well. For those of you who may already be running these tires, I'd like to hear your impressions of them. Thanks! :like:

jeep_jl_geolandars_1.jpg

jeep_jl_geolandars_2.jpg
Those are the exact same tires I plan on getting for my wife's Jeep. How is the ride? Loud? Rough? They look sweet and I've heard good things from people who own them on their pickups. BTW we got ours on July 18 2018...

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Those are the exact same tires I plan on getting for my wife's Jeep. How is the ride? Loud? Rough? They look sweet and I've heard good things from people who own them on their pickups. BTW we got ours on July 18 2018...
I literally have less than 10 miles on them right now, but I am going to remedy that today and get some miles on them. When I get back, I'll give you a better and more informed reply. ;) They definitely do not seem to be loud, at least not from 0 to 50 mph or so. I turned my radio off and could hear a quiet hum that wasn't present with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s, but that's it. I'll see what happens at higher speeds today when I make a run on I-81 which is conveniently just a short drive from here.

***Update***
Ok, so I just got home from taking the Jeep on a trip of about 30 miles so here are my impressions of the tires.
Driving/Handling: The driving and handling characteristics are basically unchanged. The only difference I noticed is a bit more feeling of resistance when turning and accelerating. Since the diameter of these tires is exactly the same as the stock tire size (LT255/70R18) and with the width being only 0.8" greater, I attribute this feeling to the added weight of the tires. Keep in mind this difference is very subtle and some may not notice it at all.
Ride: The ride on smooth roads is unchanged and is as pleasant as it ever was. On bumpy surfaces, the ride has, in some ways, actually improved. I'm running the bone-stock factory suspension and when I would encounter rough patches, the Jeep could get quite bouncy. With these Yokohamas, I would describe the ride as firmer, but firmer in a good way. The Jeep now feels more solid, more planted, and more controllable on rough, bumpy roads. Yes, the ride is firmer, but not harsh or objectionable, in my view.
Noise: As I mentioned earlier, in my Jeep with the windows up and the radio off, these tires do have a very mild hum around town. At highway speeds (I was cruising at speeds up to ~80 mph), the volume of the hum slowly rose till it hit a plateau about 55-60 mph when it then started to decrease back down to volume levels equaling those of the slower speeds. At no time did I find the hum annoying or pervasive. In fact, with music playing in the Jeep, I really didn't notice the tire hum unless I concentrated on hearing it. The bottom line is, these tires are definitely not what I would call noisy and I don't believe most people would.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
After my previous post, FedEx delivered my Quadratec cargo mat. I used a utility knife to cut the six squares for the tie-downs and dropped it into the back. Perfect fit. I do wish it was a little more flexible, like the rubber mat I had in my 2018 JKU Willys, but this will provide great protection for the carpet and allow me to clean the dog hair much more easily.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210512_165621630a

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Now halfway there. I need to pull the remaining studs from the aluminum and drill the stainless beneath and then fit and weld the new stainless studs into the plate.

So far so good!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_20210512_165621630a
I back bored the holes where the studs will be welded to allow for good penetration. I just need to get more bolts to build a "jig" by bolting the two plates together to set the stud depth uniformly. In the top plate in the photo the second and third bolts on the top row are two of the the actual stainless studs to be welded.

BWXA7e.jpg

Last edited: