Sponsored

Buying my first Wrangler (Price Advice)

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude Edition
Greeting everybody,

This is my first post here and was hoping for some guidance on buying my first Wrangler. I've owned Grand Cherokees and Cherokees now I think Its time to step it up.

I was in my local dealer this weekend and I was informed that they do not negotiate the MSRP of Wranglers. I don't know if that is something all dealers do but my only option to reduce the cost was with a higher down payment. I was wondering if anyone with more insight on purchasing Wranglers could tell me if the price offered to me was decent or if I should take my business elsewhere. I have attached all the information I was given by dealer.

The Wrangler was a JLU Sport S:

Automatic Transmission
Proximity key
Push to Start
Heated Seats
7 inch Screen
Trailer Hitch

Thank you in advance!

Jeep 4.jpg

jeep 3.jpeg
Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
if you are willing to travel and wait a few weeks you can get great discounts from a few dealers on custom factory orders that are talked about often on this forum....

I flew up to Idaho last month to pick up my new JLUR...was best car buying experience I've ever had and got almost 12% off MSRP
Jeep Wrangler JL Buying my first Wrangler (Price Advice) IMG_9015 2.JPG

Niggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yeah I got 18% off MSRP (Now 20% w/ the price increases) with a factory order. Shop around.

My strategy was sending the build to all the dealers within a 2 hour vicinity of myself, tell them I'm ready to buy for the best price and I got all sorts of prices, from MSRP, invoice less incentives (5% at the time). Eventually nearly all of them agreed to invoice less 5 and were offering a few hundred extra and no fees to close the deal. Ultimately the one I went with was 18% off MSRP, and I didn't even have to press them for it. First offer.

Ordered in January, can't speak to market conditions now but yeah, show them you're serious and shop around. Best to be in vehicles for as little as possible.

Good luck!

Price.png

OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you are willing to travel and wait a few weeks you can get great discounts from a few dealers on custom factory orders that are talked about often on this forum....

I flew up to Idaho last month to pick up my new JLUR...was best car buying experience I've ever had and got almost 12% off MSRP
Jeep Wrangler JL Buying my first Wrangler (Price Advice) Price
I'm not looking for anything wild just something with Adaptive Cruise since I travel I little for work and payments under $600. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that beauty.

OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I got 18% off MSRP (Now 20% w/ the price increases) with a factory order. Shop around.

My strategy was sending the build to all the dealers within a 2 hour vicinity of myself, tell them I'm ready to buy for the best price and I got all sorts of prices, from MSRP, invoice less incentives (5% at the time). Eventually nearly all of them agreed to invoice less 5 and were offering a few hundred extra and no fees to close the deal. Ultimately the one I went with was 18% off MSRP, and I didn't even have to press them for it. First offer.

Ordered in January, can't speak to market conditions now but yeah, show them you're serious and shop around. Best to be in vehicles for as little as possible.

Good luck!
If you don't mind me asking what model did you get and how much did you pay?

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
You can definitely get something off somewhere else, just know that someone somewhere will have gotten a better deal or worse deal, its all in how you feel about your deal. I put my order in last week and I think my deal was like 9.5% off MSRP and I'm perfectly happy with it

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If you’re shopping off payments this forum might eat you alive. There is an art to this if you’re not familiar with car sales. If you don’t look deep you can’t tell if you’re comparing apples or firearms.
Do you have a good bank you can pre-qualify with? If so, that might help you negotiate. You still need a baseline, but the slippery slope is one step away on overwhelming you with variables.

Niggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don't mind me asking what model did you get and how much did you pay?
Added build, see above. Like others are now saying. Ignore the payments - focus on all in purchase price.

OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re shopping off payments this forum might eat you alive. There is an art to this if you’re not familiar with car sales. If you don’t look deep you can’t tell if you’re comparing apples or firearms.
Do you have a good bank you can pre-qualify with? If so, that might help you negotiate. You still need a baseline, but the slippery slope is one step away on overwhelming you with variables.
I truthfully have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to negotiating. I'm afraid of going into a dealer and tell them I want to pay $35k for a $45k vehicle and just getting torn apart. I assumed the specific JLU I was looking at I could have gotten down to $40k but I'm not sure. When they did come off the sticker price that was a red flag for me.

OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added build, see above. Like others are now saying. Ignore the payments - focus on all in purchase price.
Awesome! Thanks! When you do a factory build are you going to Jeeps website and they custom build it for you?

Sponsored

Niggles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I built it on the build and price feature, and than sent it to dealers right from the website. They'll get in touch with you to discuss pricing and specifics.

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
I will reiterate what the person before me said. please do NOT shop based on monthly payment. Negotiate on the vehicle price and have them list the full price with all taxes included. No one should be paying MSRP for any car let alone a high volume vehicle like this one.

When shopping, do not even mention you have a trade. Just negotiate the price first. Once the price is agreed upon, bring in the trade and negotiate on whatever they offer you for it.

Start with these dealers on this map. Zoom in and out until you get the hang of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1sO-wuUdDUEjr_u6pSeo4CGki-Ji5Wtfr&hl=en_US&ll=42.28505700011812,-113.9376803714323&z=5

OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will reiterate what the person before me said. please do NOT shop based on monthly payment. Negotiate on the vehicle price and have them list the full price with all taxes included. No one should be paying MSRP for any car let alone a high volume vehicle like this one.

When shopping, do not even mention you have a trade. Just negotiate the price first. Once the price is agreed upon, bring in the trade and negotiate on whatever they offer you for it.

Start with these dealers on this map. Zoom in and out until you get the hang of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1sO-wuUdDUEjr_u6pSeo4CGki-Ji5Wtfr&hl=en_US&ll=42.28505700011812,-113.9376803714323&z=5
I made all the wrong moves haha. Thanks for the info! I found 1 within 50 miles. I'll call them tomorrow!

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Greeting everybody,

This is my first post here and was hoping for some guidance on buying my first Wrangler. I've owned Grand Cherokees and Cherokees now I think Its time to step it up.

I was in my local dealer this weekend and I was informed that they do not negotiate the MSRP of Wranglers. I don't know if that is something all dealers do but my only option to reduce the cost was with a higher down payment. I was wondering if anyone with more insight on purchasing Wranglers could tell me if the price offered to me was decent or if I should take my business elsewhere. I have attached all the information I was given by dealer.

The Wrangler was a JLU Sport S:

Automatic Transmission
Proximity key
Push to Start
Heated Seats
7 inch Screen
Trailer Hitch

Thank you in advance!

Jeep 4.jpg

jeep 3.jpeg
Agreed with all posts prior. But taking things back a few steps....
1. Find out what the Factory Wholesale Price (FWP) of the vehicle is. FWP is the same thing as the Invoice Price. You can use KBB.com to find it, but it may be out of date. Better to use the JL/JLU pricing spreadsheet that gets updated monthly on this forum.
2. Commit to paying no more than FWP -1%. This can be achieved without negotiation simply by joining Tread Lightly and using a control code to purchase the vehicle. This should be the most you have to pay. If you feel like it, try to beat FWP -1% through the negotiation tactics several posters on the forum have suggested. Dealer cost is somewhere around FWP -3%, and some dealers are willing to go below cost to get volume, financing kickbacks, etc.
3. Once the sales price is determined, only then start working towards hashing out the monthly payments, using a trusted bank or an online calculator.
4. Watch out for excessive fees and taxes that add to the all-in, out-the-door (OTD) price. Dealer/doc fees should be a few hundred bucks at most. Taxes vary by location, but can be estimated in advance.
5. Understand that there currently is a supply shortage and raw materials cost inflation, so the significantly deeper discounts that others claim to have gotten may be harder to get in the current supply chain environment.

Also: I think the dealer may have been cheeky with you re "not negotiating the MSRP." Technically, they do not negotiate the MSRP as that is determined by Jeep. What they do negotiate is the vehicle selling price, and that is to be agreed upon by you and a helpful salesperson.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SASQUATCH3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed with all posts prior. But taking things back a few steps....
1. Find out what the Factory Wholesale Price (FWP) of the vehicle is. You can use KBB.com to do so, but it may be out of date. Better to use the pricing spreadsheet that gets updated monthly on this forum.
2. Commit to paying no more than FWP -1%. This can be achieved without negotiation simply by joining Tread Lightly and using a control code to purchase the vehicle. this should be the most you have to pay. If you feel like it, try to beat FWP-1% through the negotiation tactics several posters on the forum have suggested.
3. Once the sale price is determined, only then start working towards hashing out the monthly payments, using a trusted bank or an online calculator.
4. Watch out for excessive fees and taxes that add to the all-in Out The Door price.
5. Understand that there is a supply shortage, and the significantly deeper discounts that others claim to have gotten may be tougher to get in the current supply chain environment.

Also: I think the dealer may have been cheeky with you re "not negotiating the MSRP." Technically, they do not negotiate the MSRP as that is determined by Jeep. What they do negotiate is the vehicle selling price, and that is to be agreed upon by you and a helpful salesperson.
This was amazing advice! I can probably get a much better deal off the bat this way! I'm going to start again and hopefully have a JLU within month!
Sponsored