Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Stations in N. AL are beginning to run out due to hoarding and panic buying
My town in Georgia was running out this morning. Already empty stations, lines, and some with premium only.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I hear what you are saying, but Colonial is mostly owned by the Koch Brothers as well as some South Korean, Canadian and Dutch corporations. Pretty sure this is not good news for them in any way. Also, in regulated industries like pipelines, companies are generally not permitted to invest in upgrades without the prior consent of FERC and DOT regulators since it adds to the "regulated base."
Some kind of headline fine and a temporary loss of reputation. Some IT guys might get handed their papers. I'm sure they aren't enjoying the spotlight right now, but it will go away soon enough.

This wouldn't even be an upgrade, their SCADA controllers probably got infected with ransomware because they weren't properly partitioned from the user environment. Jimbo clicked the wrong link and the damn things were probably running unpatched Windows Server. The places I've worked with always have contract IT teams and the contractors don't really give a crap.

CulpMinMn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2001 TJ, 2014 WK2
My county is probably dry by now. I dieseled up the JL this morning. I even had a F250 gaser yell at me to warn me that I was at diesel pump.

If anyone is a fuel trucker on here, stay safe.

At this point if you are driving a fuel truck without being armed your bat shit crazy.

Cheers,

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
A " electricity shortage" means no gas, as fuel pumps at gas stations are- you guessed it - run on electricity.
You can GENERATE ELECTRIC AT HOME. Advances in solar panels, hydro turbines, and wind powered generation makes this an ever more attractive option.

nobody on this forum and few people total really know more about renewable energy than I do.

you aren’t charging an ev at home without the grid for a long time to come

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
nobody on this forum and few people total really know more about renewable energy than I do.

you aren’t charging an ev at home without the grid for a long time to come
Not without $20k worth of solar panels and inverters.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I'm certainly not inviting an argument here, but I have an off-grid home in Arizona and I charge my fully electric 2014 Ford Focus BEV and have done so for over 5 years now.

Last edited:

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
This thread took a turn. Hackers caused a fuel shortage if we were all driving EVs it would have been the power grid.

Everything is vulnerable now with us relying heavily on a connected network.

As for ev for the environment it’s just kicking the can down the road until lithium batteries can be completely recycled.

My personal opinion is we need to pursue synthetic fuels. I want to say Porsche is investing heavily in a synthetic gas that can be run in any ice motor and has almost no carbon emissions. It could be easily supported by already existing distribution networks and would keep me rolling in my older vehicles.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I'm certainly not inviting an argument here, but I have an off-grid home in Tempe, AZ and I charge my fully electric 2014 Ford Focus BEV and have done so for over 5 years now.
How much was your solar setup, if you don't mind my asking??

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Im curious about this too. I think in the next 5 years, if the data trend for my state (IN) can show a surplus that Ill install a complete solar roof.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Net cost was $35K for 64 solar panels . . . the rest of the system gets a bit muddy due to its Frankenstein nature and how it grew. The tech has changed dramatically just since my system went active. I have a no-maintenance battery bank (non lithium) and a 20kW generator. The generator is only necessary to handle my heat pump at start up . . . but tech is changing to the point that I might not need that anymore.

My solar panel investment will have paid for itself in 10 years since purchase . . . which is 3 years away.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Not without $20k worth of solar panels and inverters.
and 3x that amount in batteries plus a smart load shifter than we normally use in applications for hospitals. I own a very large solar company. Charging an EV requires a live grid or many many days of great sun and expensive batteries

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My battery bank cost less $4K
Sponsored