Sponsored

Replacement Audio System Questions (Upgrade from Alpine)

Atlas

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I am a bit underwhelmed by the factory Alpine system on the JL, so I'm looking to upgrade. I'd prefer to keep the factory head unit, if possible, and just upgrade amp and speakers. I would consider upgrading the subwoofer as well. I want to hear the audio clearly while driving with the windows down or top off and the alpine system is not sufficient for that. Does anyone have recommendations on audio systems?

I did search on here, but the results only produced one viable option...looked like the person did not have the alpine system to start with, and sounded like they were underwhelmed with the final outcome.

Looking for alternatives to this kit:
MBQJ-STG6A-1: 800 Watt Six Speaker OEM Upgrade Jeep® Wrangler (JL) / Gladiator (JT) Tuned Audio | MB Quart

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan
Sponsored

Last edited:

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
OP
OP
Atlas

Atlas

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Thanks. I saw the MB Quart kit yesterday. I'm curious if anyone has the full kit and how well it performs.
i got their kits for just the soundbar mounting and kick panel speaker mounting. i've only installed the soundbar 6x9 and it's a great improvement.

their full kit is like $1599 but works with the OEM system. and has 2 400w amps. sounds like what you would want. i'm curious to hear from anyone who did the whole system as well.

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
Hey all,
Are you all referring to the Alpine upgrade with the 8'4 system?

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
i got their kits for just the soundbar mounting and kick panel speaker mounting. i've only installed the soundbar 6x9 and it's a great improvement.

their full kit is like $1599 but works with the OEM system. and has 2 400w amps. sounds like what you would want. i'm curious to hear from anyone who did the whole system as well.
I will have a complete kit one of these days :)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Are you all referring to the Alpine upgrade with the 8'4 system?
Yes, the OP is upgrading the factory Alpine upgrade system.

Sponsored

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
so the 8.4 upgrade from factory is not really a good upgrade from the 7.0 or 5.0 ?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I've got the 8.4 with the Alpine set up.
  • How much do you want to spend?
  • Do you want quality or just volume?
  • Do you want stealth/factory look or happy to have sub boxes etc taking up cargo space?
  • What skills do you have? Can you install yourself or do you need a shop to do it?
Poly fill is a cheap improvement you can make for the sub and soundbar. I've only done the sub enclosure at the moment but it did make a decent improvement. I've also noticed that the sub has improved (gotten louder and goes lower) over time so if it's only a recent purchase it will get better.

If you just want loud and aren't worried about stealth then you could just go with some tower speakers hanging off the cage. A simple line level converter running off the wires for the soundbar feeding an amp will probably do it.

Stealth, full bolt in I think the recently released MB Quart set up is the most complete. It looks like the fully amplified version would be the one to go for unless you have existing equipment. You could probably do it cheaper by pieicing together equipment from different sources but unless you know what you're doing it could end up sounding worse than what you've got.

Lastly is full custom with audiophile component speakers and amps with signal processing. Sky is the limit for the front and rear replacements depending on your taste in music and the style of sound you prefer. There aren't a lot of options for subs that are recommneded to fit in the 0.55cuft factory enclosure so if you want stealth then the JL 10TW3 is probably the best option. Even then you'll need a custom baffle board to adapt it. JL Audio Stealthbox or SSV Works enclosure are a bit larger and will give a better range of sub options but don't take up too much cargo space. Otherwise it's a full custom box taking as little or as much room as you're prepared to give up.

I'm currently waiting for my amp which is on back order so I can fit a new sub into the stock enclosure (Digital Designs SL710 which they don't make anymore). I'm hoping it's enough to fulfill my bass requirements otherwise it's custom ported box time. Then I start saving for the components I want but they will come after I've done all my other mods.

OP
OP
Atlas

Atlas

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
@Sanchese

If you want to hear music with the windows down at 50mph +, I would venture to say that the Alpine system is not for you. There is just too much wind noise to clearly hear some music or podcasts

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
@Sanchese

If you want to hear music with the windows down at 50mph +, I would venture to say that the Alpine system is not for you. There is just too much wind noise to clearly hear some music or podcasts
Completely agree! The "upgraded alpine" is garbage with the top off, or even just having windows down.
I'm looking to upgrade as well. I'd prefer to just change our the speakers and keep it stock looking. Might try what AusJeepNoob suggested...

But I'm interested in what you decide!
Sponsored