Sponsored

Can the math work out to justify a 4xe?

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Yet he takes time out of his day to say the same things we are all saying Even proves the point that EV is NOT cost effective YET!
No it would be a cost savings for me, electric is cheaper than gas where I live, I have been teleworking for over a year so most trips are short, and with the rebate the 4xe is cheaper than a comparable Rubicon.

I can see that reading is difficult for you so I'll try to be understanding. It must be a real challenge to make it through life with your condition.
Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I think folks should buy whatever they want. I just find it funny to try and “justify” the EV purchase on price. The math doesn’t work and it never will for a very long time. Also if you really think you are saving the environment please come out of Al Gore’s tent and actually do some research. The emissions used to actually create and generate the EV vehicle is far more than ICE.
It's funny because for a lot of people, it does. The math for initial price works out for anyone who was already looking to load out their cars, as demonstrated numerous times. If you compare apples to apples, IE: stop trying to compare a base model 2door unlimited against high altitude and rubicon trims, the math works just fine.

The long term math is easily summarized by: can you plug in? If yes, then it's worth it. If electricity is expensive for you or you have a long commute, you'll pay more to drive this car long term. Less than you'd pay for a 392 to get this level of HP and torque though.

Again buy it because to like it as it is just another choice in the line up but certainly stop telling folks it is “so much cheaper especially with the rebate” than others. Even those people have no clue how the rebate works. It isn’t the government just sending you a $7500 check You can go cash at the bank.
Anyone who can make a flow chart in here?

Do you want leather seats, LED lights, premium audio, and an automatic transmission i4 sahara?

Do you make at least 60k a year and therefore have a tax liability of greater than 7500$?

Well for 2200 you can upgrade that same configuration to a 4xe. Then get a $7500 check. Does that 5300$ rebate interest you in a PHEV?

Great! Now are you consistently driving more than 50mi a day?
Do you not have a 12 hr overnight time to charge?
Do you like taking long road trips?
Are you afraid of change?
Are you a country bumpkin with no access to electricity and/or are you amish?

And for the last one, have the "no" lead to buying a 4xe and the "yes" lead to "troll the subforums for phevs complaining about how expensive they are and arguing that math isn't math."

Also, that's pretty much what the credit is. If you pay 7500 or more in taxes, your tax return will be increased by 7500 when you file. If you normally owe a small amount, you'd get 7500 less the amount you owe. If you normally don't withhold and owe taxes when you file, you'd owe 7500 less.

If you don't owe 7500 or more in taxes every year, you won't be able to take advantage of the credit. But if you don't owe that much, you probably shouldn't be looking at 50k cars anyway. Even then though, you can get your lease reduced by that amount up front even if you pay nothing in taxes because of the child credits you get for your 35 kids.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
No it would be a cost savings for me, electric is cheaper than gas where I live, I have been teleworking for over a year so most trips are short, and with the rebate the 4xe is cheaper than a comparable Rubicon.

I can see that reading is difficult for you so I'll try to be understanding. It must be a real challenge to make it through life with your condition.
Well I guess your pic matches your attitude. Love them some keyboard cowboys. Personal attacks always tell me all I need to know about someone on the internet that I am trying to share an opposite opinion with. When all else fails, throw out the personal attack.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
Well I guess your pic matches your attitude. Love them some keyboard cowboys. Personal attacks always tell me all I need to know about someone on the internet that I am trying to share an opposite opinion with. When all else fails, throw out the personal attack.
Says the guy snarkily telling people to "please come out of Al Gore's tent"...

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Even the Amish are getting with the program ...

"Mother, Jebediah and I are going to the barn raising a the Muller's, we'll be back before sundown. Oh, and we're taking the Tesla ..."

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
@Raylan Givens Totally off topic ...

Assuming you're a fan of Justified, did you see that the producers are looking to make
City Primeval into a series, it's an Elmore Leonard novel, that doesn't feature Raylan (like the source for Justified, Fire in the Hole), but since Olyphant and the character were so popular, word is, they want to transplant him into that story.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
@Raylan Givens Totally off topic ...

Assuming you're a fan of Justified, did you see that the producers are looking to make
City Primeval into a series, it's an Elmore Leonard novel, that doesn't feature Raylan (like the source for Justified, Fire in the Hole), but since Olyphant and the character were so popular, word is, they want to transplant him into that story.
I have not seen that, but that would be great

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I think folks should buy whatever they want. I just find it funny to try and “justify” the EV purchase on price. The math doesn’t work and it never will for a very long time. Also if you really think you are saving the environment please come out of Al Gore’s tent and actually do some research. The emissions used to actually create and generate the EV vehicle is far more than ICE.

Again buy it because to like it as it is just another choice in the line up but certainly stop telling folks it is “so much cheaper especially with the rebate” than others. Even those people have no clue how the rebate works. It isn’t the government just sending you a $7500 check You can go cash at the bank.
I'm not really sure I recall seeing a lot of people on here saying that they think they are saving the environment with the 4xe? Heck, for me it's extra stupid because I won't even be plugging it in for the most part. Electricity rates are so high in MA that its about 1/3 more expensive to charge than to buy gas (at least at the moment).

I do recall seeing a lot of people, myself included, who are excited about the hp and torque numbers, though. And the fact that you get more power for less money. I'm leasing, so it essentially IS Chrysler Capital or Ally Bank sending me a check for $7500. For me it is WAY cheaper than an equivalent ICE Jeep. This is why it's a no brainer for me.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Ask people in the Southeast today how they feel about gas and ICE. Have two co-workers tell me they spent 3 hours today trying to find gas for their big ICE trucks.

Plug in baby.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
So the OP is trying to compare a bare bones JL Sport vs a heavily optioned Rubicon 4xe and is stumped as to how someone can justify the large price difference...🤔🤔🤔
It's funny because for a lot of people, it does. The math for initial price works out for anyone who was already looking to load out their cars, as demonstrated numerous times. If you compare apples to apples, IE: stop trying to compare a base model 2door unlimited against high altitude and rubicon trims, the math works just fine.

The long term math is easily summarized by: can you plug in? If yes, then it's worth it. If electricity is expensive for you or you have a long commute, you'll pay more to drive this car long term. Less than you'd pay for a 392 to get this level of HP and torque though.

Anyone who can make a flow chart in here?

Do you want leather seats, LED lights, premium audio, and an automatic transmission i4 sahara?

Do you make at least 60k a year and therefore have a tax liability of greater than 7500$?

Well for 2200 you can upgrade that same configuration to a 4xe. Then get a $7500 check. Does that 5300$ rebate interest you in a PHEV?

Great! Now are you consistently driving more than 50mi a day?
Do you not have a 12 hr overnight time to charge?
Do you like taking long road trips?
Are you afraid of change?

And for the last one, have the "no" lead to buying a 4xe and the "yes" lead to "troll the subforums for phevs complaining about how expensive they are and arguing that math isn't math."

Also, that's pretty much what the credit is. If you pay 7500 or more in taxes, your tax return will be increased by 7500 when you file. If you normally owe a small amount, you'd get 7500 less the amount you owe. If you normally don't withhold and owe taxes when you file, you'd owe 7500 less.

If you don't owe 7500 or more in taxes every year, you won't be able to take advantage of the credit. But if you don't owe that much, you probably shouldn't be looking at 50k cars anyway. Even then though, you can get your lease reduced by that amount up front even if you pay nothing in taxes because of the child credits you get for your 35 kids.
@Ratiogear you killed me with the “Are you a country bumpkin with no access to electricity?” 😂😂

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
@Ratiogear you killed me with the “Are you a country bumpkin with no access to electricity?” 😂😂
This was specifically to this guy
This brings up an interesting point that gets ignored by the tree huggers. What ARE we in the country, far away from our jobs, shopping and ANY charging stations supposed to do? I'm over 30 miles one way from the nearest charging stations and they are at car dealerships. On weekends I can find myself 120 miles from my home. Yea this all electric utopia has MANY problems to solve before you FORCE me into it.
Here's V2, now with some more options for all the people who feel the need to continually complain online that other people want to buy a car they don't want to buy. The free web app said I had used the max objects so I had to mspaint the last set I added (the very first part: are you interested in the 4xe powerplant/yes/no/why are you here)

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the math work out to justify a 4xe? Are you interested in the 4xe Powerplant

This whole thing is a fkin "HDDVD or Bluray" argument at high stakes, except one side is arguing that VHS is still the best option. We don't know the future, but we do know that petroleum based vehicles can't be the final solution. We may have picked the HD DVD option here, but at least we aren't collecting VHS tapes because we can still manually splice them.

Last edited:

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
oddly enough there's talk on the east coast of fuel shortages, which there is not but just fear like the TP hoarding which then can in turn cause a shortage. And I'm over here like with my Rav4 Prime PHEV just plugging in when and where I want

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
This was specifically to this guy

Here's V2, now with some more options for all the people who feel the need to continually complain online that other people want to buy a car they don't want to buy. The free web app said I had used the max objects so I had to mspaint the last set I added (the very first part: are you interested in the 4xe powerplant/yes/no/why are you here)

Jeep Wrangler JL Can the math work out to justify a 4xe? Are you interested in the 4xe Powerplant

This whole thing is a fkin "HDDVD or Bluray" argument at high stakes, except one side is arguing that VHS is still the best option. We don't know the future, but we do know that petroleum based vehicles can't be the final solution. We may have picked the HD DVD option here, but at least we aren't collecting VHS tapes because we can still manually splice them.
Leather seats and body colored flares are not standard on the 4Xe. They are an additional cost. You do get a bunch of "stuff" standard on the 4Xe, but those two items are extra, at least according to the current version of the Jeep configurator. :)

I like the idea of 375hp and 475 torque without paying a $30K premium for a 392 (475hp 475 torque). The 4Xe and 392 are where I'm at as far as consideration for a new Jeep.

It's about the "get up and go"!

Screenshot - 5_11_2021 , 4_04_47 PM.jpg
Sponsored