Sponsored

Anyone else think the “charge” mode in e-select is a joke??

seannaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JKUR 4XE, Cyber Truck (on order...)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a few weeks in now and can honestly say there is NO WAY that battery will get charged on battery save mode with “charge” selected in e-select and max Regen turned on. I’ve tested this over and over - stop and go traffic, highway, around town, whatever - I barely gain a single mile, once I got 3 miles over a fair amount of driving. What are others experiences? Was really hoping that it would at least keep enough in reserve just from normal driving to give it consistent performance.

Still love it, but underwhelmed on the range.
Sponsored

MaTeZZ

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
I believe it is an emission issue. They have to throttle the charging not to exceed them.

jrm390

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250
I’m a few weeks in now and can honestly say there is NO WAY that battery will get charged on battery save mode with “charge” selected in e-select and max Regen turned on. I’ve tested this over and over - stop and go traffic, highway, around town, whatever - I barely gain a single mile, once I got 3 miles over a fair amount of driving. What are others experiences? Was really hoping that it would at least keep enough in reserve just from normal driving to give it consistent performance.

Still love it, but underwhelmed on the range.
Just got my Jeep yesterday so I haven't tested much.

I have a 20 mile mostly highway speed commute to work and switched to E-Save half way. In 10 miles the battery % increased by 3-4% and the battery range stayed right about the same.

Roy15

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 jlu 20 Cherokee
Mine is only 4 days old but I found that city driving around 35 45 seems to yield a few miles. Highway not so much.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thermodynamics dictate ICE recharging is just a bad idea. Only reason I would use it is if I needed extra electricity to use for an inverter.

The 15% reserve that we don't see is a different story. It's a highly efficient range to recharge, it almost comes for free. That's what allows hybrid vehicles to do their thing without depleting.

Sponsored

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I've tried it a bunch and while it lets it get down to 95%, it seems to keep it at 95% after that.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yes, in my testing at 75mph I went from 1% to 18% in 2 hours.

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
"Charge" is meant for long highway trips/steady low load on the powertrain. At least in my experience with other PHEVs.

Example:
  • You use EV mode down to 30% in the city
  • Get on the highway to go somewhere, will probably be 1hr, turn on Charge mode
  • Get off the highway, battery charge should be increased, let's say 60%
  • Change back to EV mode for going around the city
EV mode is the most effective for stop & go/city driving.

Last edited:

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Also remember: The lower your battery percentage, the slower the initial charge rate is. Charging a battery from 5% takes longer for a 10% increase, versus a battery at 70%.
The exact opposite is true. Lithium Ion charges much faster when it is at lower voltage, then slows down at the end as it nears capacity.

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
The exact opposite is true. Lithium Ion charges much faster when it is at lower voltage, then slows down at the end as it nears capacity.
Woops that's my bad. I was thinking of my old Outlander PHEV - software limited the low end charge rate "to preserve the battery" and yes you are correct, that last stretch of 90% onward, it slows down too. The "middle" is where you get the highest charge rates.

Also from my understanding the 4XE powertrain differs from other PHEVs. Other PHEVs use their ICE as a generator and only creates electricity for the battery and electric motors, while the 4XE's ICE is actually part of the powertrain.

Sponsored

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
I have found that esave/Charge is really only effective in town, I can gain percentage pretty quickly in town, but on the highway it wakes 5-10 miles to gain 1%. At freeway speeds there's no extra energy to be directed towards the battery, its all towards propulsion.

I made a couple quick videos about it.

Hiiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU4xe,
Just got my Jeep yesterday so I haven't tested much.

I have a 20 mile mostly highway speed commute to work and switched to E-Save half way. In 10 miles the battery % increased by 3-4% and the battery range stayed right about the same.
Does save tend to use too much gas?

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
As @Black96z demonstrated above, the esave-charge setting works best at lower speeds. I've had my 4xe since last May and used charge mode many times. I find it works best while running 15 to 40MPH. I use charge mode to have at least 30% charge before camping overnight or if I have a section of trail I want to try in full electric mode...but it can take a while to gain that charge.

Somewhere I read from a reputable, Jeep source that it takes 2 hours at 55 to charge completely (95%). That seems accurate from my experience. Driving at normal highway speeds above 70 won't yield much charging, especially if you're climbing hills.

@seannaz if you're not seeing a full charge after a few hours at 50, I think you should have it serviced. Use the "e-hybrid" app on your UConnect to monitor actual power flow.