Sponsored

My JlU Rubicon keeps throwing rocks on to itself. Fender protection?

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
So when driving on the highway the tires tend to pick up rocks and send them on to the side of the vehicle and also worse I live out of town on gravel drive way it picks up rocks and when I turn on to the highway many come loose on to its self. I have noticed some little dings in the paint on the doors and plastic rear fenders. Some have even hit the side windows but no dings in the glass yet.

I have ordered some Aries powered running boards I am thinking they will offer some protection but I really think I need mud flaps or splash guards. But Mopar does not have them for the Rubicon? I am afraid If i don't do something my Rubicon will look totally trashed in no time. Any Suggestions? Am I the only one with this issue?
Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
I don't have my JL yet, but I have been debating the purchase of the Mopar JL 82215332AB Front mud flaps. By looking at the flaps and pictures, I am convinced that a person can cut out a "Rock Rail Sized Hole" in the $45 flap and have working protection.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
You can find some rubber truck flaps and try those too.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't have my JL yet, but I have been debating the purchase of the Mopar JL 82215332AB Front mud flaps. By looking at the flaps and pictures, I am convinced that a person can cut out a "Rock Rail Sized Hole" in the $45 flap and have working protection.
The "Mopar JL 82215332AB Front mud flaps" description says "For use on Sahara & Sport Models" so it looks like it won't work on Rubicons. Reference: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-molded-splash-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl Now have to figure out what ones will work and if a running board / side step will be an issue with mud flaps. Anyone know which combination works?

Sponsored

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
The "Mopar JL 82215332AB Front mud flaps" description says "For use on Sahara & Sport Models" so it looks like it won't work on Rubicons. Reference: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-molded-splash-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl Now have to figure out what ones will work and if a running board / side step will be an issue with mud flaps. Anyone know which combination works?
Hence the "Cut a rock rail sized hole". Another forum member thought they would fit the fenders fine.

OP
OP
The Z

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
The Mopar ones won't work even with taking off the rock rails the fenders are different on a Rubicon I looked at the pics and the contour will not work. I just ordered some of those Red Rock Generic flat Jeep ones and hopefully make it work. I think they will work better for the back then the front where I think they are critically needed. Yes they are all terrains they like to pickup rocks like a magnet and throw them. I have a gravel drive but then a block of pavement 20 mph before I turn on to the highway and the rocks they stick until I get on the highway then I brace for the hits on the side of the Jeep and cuss when they hit. They usually don't dislodge for a block or two after getting up to 50 mph.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I just got my JL Rubicon and I couldn't believe how many rocks were getting thrown on my new Jeep when I took it down some freshly graded dirt roads. I literally had rocks landing on the top of my Jeep. I was like "who the F_ck is throwing rocks at my jeep" but it happened too many times in too many different places. It's my first Wrangler and the first time I've owned KO2's so I don't know if it's just a Wrangler thing or if those tires just pick up a lot of rocks. I've never experienced anything like it in any other truck I've owned. If it's mostly because of the tires I'll be doing my new wheels and tires sooner than I planned.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
nature of the beast my man... yr obviously a noob. Mud tires will pick up less rocks, so will highway tires. take your pick..

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
I just got my JL Rubicon and I couldn't believe how many rocks were getting thrown on my new Jeep when I took it down some freshly graded dirt roads. I literally had rocks landing on the top of my Jeep. I was like "who the F_ck is throwing rocks at my jeep" but it happened too many times in too many different places. It's my first Wrangler and the first time I've owned KO2's so I don't know if it's just a Wrangler thing or if those tires just pick up a lot of rocks. I've never experienced anything like it in any other truck I've owned. If it's mostly because of the tires I'll be doing my new wheels and tires sooner than I planned.
Its the tires. Anyone who's spent time with ko2's knows this...

Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I have the all terrains that came with the sport (lsd rear) and can definitely say its the tires. After going off road you do not want to be behind my Jeep on the highway.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Am I the only one with this issue?
Not at all. The KO2 is notorious for flinging rocks. I ran them on my JK for quite some time and while they did eat up my rear fenders, they didn't do much to the body.

OP
OP
The Z

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put some generic fit mudflaps on it helps some but still getting some rocks hitting. I have some running boards on order I think they will help shield some rocks. I already have quite a few dings in the rear fenders and couple paint chips on the rear doors from it at only about a 1000 mile on the OD. Sure glad I did not get painted fenders. Sometime a rock will hit a side rear door window and every time I yell a profanity. No dings in the glass I can see yet which is so far a relief. Oh definitely the tires are rock collectorss can see rocks all over between the treads.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I put some generic fit mudflaps on it helps some but still getting some rocks hitting. I have some running boards on order I think they will help shield some rocks. I already have quite a few dings in the rear fenders and couple paint chips on the rear doors from it at only about a 1000 mile on the OD. Sure glad I did not get painted fenders. Sometime a rock will hit a side rear door window and every time I yell a profanity. No dings in the glass I can see yet which is so far a relief. Oh definitely the tires are rock collectorss can see rocks all over between the treads.
Yeah, you're not going to be able to avoid that, but I don't think you really need to worry too much about it annihilating the paint on the body. The rear fenders eating rocks is absolutely a Jeep thing, regardless of model and tire. Side steps and/or mudflaps certainly will help and there should be some Mopar ones available. Assuming the bottom of the fender plastic isn't designed differently between the Rubi and the Sport/Sahara, I don't see why those wouldn't work.

After my first trek in my JK with brand new KO2s, I learned the hard way you that you'll wanna keep your arms inside the door for a little while after you're done with the trail. The KM/KM2s never did it and I don't remember the original KOs flinging rocks as much, even though the tread hasn't really changed.

OP
OP
The Z

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bad thing is it is not the trail it is my driveway that is graveled. So its every time I set out anywhere from home. I ordered Aries powered running boards that have a second step that swings down when the doors open. My wife has trouble getting in and out. Plus these will give plenty accommodation for her in the future when I get bigger tires maybe a lift. They are not suppose to ship until May 15th even though when I ordered they appeared ready to ship I am still going to wait for them.
Sponsored