First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey gang.. I'm sure this is as stupid question, but I'm wondering if the auto start stop system can be physically removed from an engine? Remove the battery and any odds and ends? Is this possible? I know there are module that turn the button into a memory button that remembers your last choice so you can permanently shut it off.. but then you have that motorcycle battery kicking around under your main battery..

Dave
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Hey gang.. I'm sure this is as stupid question, but I'm wondering if the auto start stop system can be physically removed from an engine? Remove the battery and any odds and ends? Is this possible? I know there are module that turn the button into a memory button that remembers your last choice so you can permanently shut it off.. but then you have that motorcycle battery kicking around under your main battery..

Dave
Dave,

Iā€™m sure there are a few on here that have investigated doing this but I have not seen anything posted and most either just push the button every-time or use some type of programmer ( Tazer, JSCAN, Flashcal) to turn it off and then there are lots that bypass this poorly designed system and then there are some like me that remove the aux battery and install a different dual battery setup but that only involves removing the ESS battery and moving some cables.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Surely there are some very smart individuals out there that can come up with a way. American ingenuity is the best. If you build it. It can be disassembled. How about a computer wizard to re-program the computer or manufacture a new one. Believe me where there is a will there is a way. Iā€™ve seen a lot of changes done over the years. They back engineered all the flying saucers, didnā€™t they? Lol.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sure @Jebiruph can chime in as heā€™s forgotten more about this setup than most of us will ever know, he originally pioneered a way to bypass the aux early on and never ceases to amaze me with his level of knowledge on this.

He has submitted countless drawings and documents or operation design of the ESS system so if anyone would know how to so to speak gut the ESS completely out of the Jeep including all the hardware Iā€™m sure Iā€™m sure he knows.

OP
OP
davers

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for the replies everyone.. I appreciate it!

Dave

Sponsored

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
You are best off with getting the tazer or similar product. Itā€™s very simplistic, can fix speedometer if you have larger tires, and installs in minutes. Although we love hacks, trying to hack the ecu or outsmart it is best done by people who know how (like the creators of the tazer). I have the tazer and will likely buy the banks derringer.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Here is a way to disable the ESS:
Have a critter (such as a rat or squirrel) chew through the two wires wrapped in fabric tape next to the main battery. The ESS will stop working. After driving for a while (maybe 30 minutes or so) the ESS error icon will come on. Pressing the Start/Stop button to disable ESS will turn off the ESS error icon. If a critter cannot be obtained and trained, a human with wire cutters will suffice.

Actually, I do not recommend this method, but it is from my experience of the two wires being severed by some critter. After a week or so I did a bush-fix and spliced in a few inches of speaker wire. The ESS is now operating as usual. I have no idea what those two wires do, but when severed the only thing that happened was the ESS quit.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
You are best off with getting the tazer or similar product. Itā€™s very simplistic, can fix speedometer if you have larger tires, and installs in minutes. Although we love hacks, trying to hack the ecu or outsmart it is best done by people who know how (like the creators of the tazer). I have the tazer and will likely buy the banks derringer.
I actually installed the Tazer yesterday. That made the button a memory button, meaning it remembers what it was set to when the vehicle is shut off. Works great!
To keep the ESS off requires the Tazer to stay plugged in, is that correct?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
You can also get a Smart Stop Start dongle which I did. It just plugs in behind the dash and is always good; center console/dash is super easy to remove for install. I'm very happy with how it works. I never even thick about it and only get reminded when Is see posts like this one that I even have it.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would chime in but I donā€™t want to do anyone a DISSERVICE by giving possibly some bad infoā€¦šŸ¤Ŗ

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

AZRubic0n

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Eco Diesel
Maybe it is a 2021 change but my auto start/stop feature stays off permanently with the button depressed. Regardless if I key the vehicle on or off (it does not turn back on as a default). Turned it off the third day I had it and is still off with the button LED illuminated almost three months later.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Maybe it is a 2021 change but my auto start/stop feature stays off permanently with the button depressed. Regardless if I key the vehicle on or off (it does not turn back on as a default). Turned it off the third day I had it and is still off with the button LED illuminated almost three months later.
Not my '21 Rubi, wish it did. šŸ˜Ŗ

A funny side note since ESS is on our brains. My best friend since childhood finally scored one of his dream cars the other day, a nice low mileage 2013(991) 911 C4S. He came by to let me check it out and it has ESS/auto stop/start. However when you put it in "sport plus" mode, it has the sport chrono pack, it automatically disables the ESS! Gotta love it!
Sponsored