Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of projects this weekend!

Here is how to build your own hardtop cart and save a $150.

2 2x4 cut to 29"
2 2x4 cut to 60"
1 1x2 cut to 60"
4 2x4 cut to 15"
4 caster wheels - if your garage is at a slant get locking casters
25 2.5" screws
Staple gun
Carpeting of your choice...

Total cost was $20 at home depot...$13 at Walmart for 2 yards of soft material...$14 at Lowes because my staple gun broke..

I carpeted the whole thing just because. Also, you will see I have my hard top set behind the front 2x4 but you can set it on top. I felt it was more secure that way.

I started by carpeting the 5 main pieces; the 2x4's and the 1x2.

Once those were carpeted I placed the 29" pieces under the 60" boards and clamped each corner going one corner at a time. Drilled pilot holes and put 4 screws in each corner.

Once the frame was built, I put the 1x2 6" back from the front board. That way there was space for the wiper. This board will hold the wiper off the ground if you do not secure the window to the hard top.

I then pilot holes and drilled/screwed the first 15" board 8" from the edge. Then screwed the 2nd 15" board to the top of that. Once they were both screwed down I carpeted them.

I then flipped it over and put the caster wheels on. I got wheels that spun 360*; if you do the same make sure there is room for them to spin.

Attached are the results!

**the blue tape was used to hold the window while we were lifting on to the cart..it was then removed.

20180406_170329.jpg
20180406_170335.jpg
20180407_120027.jpg
20180407_120051.jpg
20180407_120105.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I’m also planning on making my own door holder. Have a few weeks before the Jeep arrives hopefully :like:

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So it should be 2 2x6 29” and 2 2x4 60” according to your build. I was putting on the 15” 2x4 pieces and realized yours all sat flush. So now I’m just making the 2x4s flush with the back of the 2x6 60”....

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
So it should be 2 2x6 29” and 2 2x4 60” according to your build. I was putting on the 15” 2x4 pieces and realized yours all sat flush. So now I’m just making the 2x4s flush with the back of the 2x6 60”....
I made an error on the 2x6 it should be 2x4, I updated the post above. Either way I went out to measure and it still works fine with a 2x6, if anything there is more weight support. I actually may end up swapping if I see any sag in a few months.

Sitting the board flush with the rear was the right move. When you rest the hard top on the cart the front will most likely rest on top of the front 2x6.

Post pics when you are done :)

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I made an error on the 2x6 it should be 2x4, I updated the post above. Either way I went out to measure and it still works fine with a 2x6, if anything there is more weight support. I actually may end up swapping if I see any sag in a few months.

Sitting the board flush with the rear was the right move. When you rest the hard top on the cart the front will most likely rest on top of the front 2x6.

So I’m going to be swapping the front 2x6 with a 2x4 because I like the idea of it sitting “in” the cart versus “on” it. Plus that 2x6 turned out to be warped ever so slightly that it lifts the front right wheel so I probably need to replace it anyway. (I could’ve sworn it was straight all the way through when I picked it)
Recalculating my costs my hardtop build was only $55 and my door holder build is about $94... but both are still cheaper than the hardtop cart I was going to buy before I saw your plans!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m going to be swapping the front 2x6 with a 2x4 because I like the idea of it sitting “in” the cart versus “on” it. Plus that 2x6 turned out to be warped ever so slightly that it lifts the front right wheel so I probably need to replace it anyway. (I could’ve sworn it was straight all the way through when I picked it)
Recalculating my costs my hardtop build was only $55 and my door holder build is about $94... but both are still cheaper than the hardtop cart I was going to buy before I saw your plans!
I'd be interested to see what you did for the door holder!

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

To be honest, you could get away with building a hard top cart out of 1x4’s and have more than enough structural integrity to support both the hard top and freedom panels. Back when we had to JK’s I built a couple of carts, the first one I overbuilt using 2x4’s. It was rock solid but it was clear it was over kill. The second one I built using 1x4’s and was perfectly adequate. I’ll have to dig around on my PC whenever I have time to see if I’ve got better pic’s of just the cart(s) but here are a few of them in use. Also something else I did with my carts was make them a longer than just the width of the top so that I could also stash the freedom panels (in their storage bag) on the cart with the top.

This the cart I built using 1x4’s with a floor of 1/4” press board with some work out mat’s to protect the top. You figure each one of those wheels is about 75lbs and the cart never really flinched with all that weight.

259527_230366880311680_4041149_o.jpg

You kind of have to zoom in to see the top on the (light duty) cart.
20046587_1733255170022836_4729596585782021676_n.jpg

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Looks same as the one i build for my JKs hardtop, glad I didn't throw it out.
Was worried abut the spoiler not clearing but seems to be good!

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
Lots of projects this weekend!

Here is how to build your own hardtop cart and save a $150.

2 2x4 cut to 29"
2 2x4 cut to 60"
1 1x2 cut to 60"
4 2x4 cut to 15"
4 caster wheels - if your garage is at a slant get locking casters
25 2.5" screws
Staple gun
Carpeting of your choice...

Total cost was $20 at home depot...$13 at Walmart for 2 yards of soft material...$14 at Lowes because my staple gun broke..

I carpeted the whole thing just because. Also, you will see I have my hard top set behind the front 2x4 but you can set it on top. I felt it was more secure that way.

I started by carpeting the 5 main pieces; the 2x4's and the 1x2.

Once those were carpeted I placed the 29" pieces under the 60" boards and clamped each corner going one corner at a time. Drilled pilot holes and put 4 screws in each corner.

Once the frame was built, I put the 1x2 6" back from the front board. That way there was space for the wiper. This board will hold the wiper off the ground if you do not secure the window to the hard top.

I then pilot holes and drilled/screwed the first 15" board 8" from the edge. Then screwed the 2nd 15" board to the top of that. Once they were both screwed down I carpeted them.

I then flipped it over and put the caster wheels on. I got wheels that spun 360*; if you do the same make sure there is room for them to spin.

Attached are the results!

**the blue tape was used to hold the window while we were lifting on to the cart..it was then removed.

20180406_170329.jpg
20180406_170335.jpg
20180407_120027.jpg
20180407_120051.jpg
20180407_120105.jpg
Thanks for a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Where does the rear spoiler sit exactly ?
On top of the 15” blocks or inside them to hold the top and keep it in an angle and
underbpressure on the lower edge?
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Where does the rear spoiler sit exactly ?
On top of the 15” blocks or inside them to hold the top and keep it in an angle and
underbpressure on the lower edge?
Thanks
The spoiler sits on the blocks in the rear. Having the blocks split decentralized the point of contact and allows for less pressure in one area since the rear has a slight roundness IMHO. The lower points of contact I have inside the front 2x6 to stop it from sliding but even resting on top is fine and was stable with no worries of sliding.

Reactions: Gus

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The spoiler sits on the blocks in the rear. Having the blocks split decentralized the point of contact and allows for less pressure in one area since the rear has a slight roundness IMHO. The lower points of contact I have inside the front 2x6 to stop it from sliding but even resting on top is fine and was stable with no worries of sliding.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks you again @Texas_Yote .I mange to build mine today using your instruction, straight forward, you have saved me a lot of time, money and effort.
I went to a hardware-store, gave the the dimensions, and had them cut it for me.
Much appreciated.
Now I need to cover it, I bought a couple of rolls of shelf lining to cover the contact areas, instead carpet. which I think would be softer on the hardtop, and holds it better.

What contact areas do you suggest I need to cover where the hardtop rests on?

The 2 blocks and lower lip and 1x2 ?
Does the hardtop touches the lower side pieces as well? sorry I can't tell from the picture.

Your feedback is appreciated
Thanks in advance
IMG_1455.JPG

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks you again @Texas_Yote .I mange to build mine today using your instruction, straight forward, you have saved me a lot of time, money and effort.
I went to a hardware-store, gave the the dimensions, and had them cut it for me.
Much appreciated.
Now I need to cover it, I bought a couple of rolls of shelf lining to cover the contact areas, instead carpet. which I think would be softer on the hardtop, and holds it better.

What contact areas do you suggest I need to cover where the hardtop rests on?

The 2 blocks and lower lip and 1x2 ?
Does the hardtop touches the lower side pieces as well? sorry I can't tell from the picture.

Your feedback is appreciated
Thanks in advance
IMG_1455.JPG
I suggest wrapping the areas I highlighted in blue. You can rest the top on the front 2x4 but I prefer to have it rested on the side rails behind that 2x4. The areas I highlighted are or could be the main contact points. Hope this helps, I can grab a few pictures more if you need some.
Screenshot_20180425-204657_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored