Sponsored

I laughed at all the 392 buyers! 😥 what a dummy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have a problem paying $60,000 for a freaking Wrangler, let alone $77,000!

HEMIs are awesome; I owned a few in the past.

But eventually you grow used to getting shoved into the seat by all that torque and hearing that glorious exhaust sound. On the other hand, stopping every 200 miles to fill up and paying $150 each time, gets old.
Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Yep, I'd really like to buy a boat, but I figure I can wait a year or two and get a steal on one then.
Any even find them in my area. 2 dealers in my area said they aren’t even getting any lot boats in this year. The demand is still off the wall cause of covid. I asked how are they going to make money this year besides repairs. He said “trying to getcthe guys who store here forcthe winter to sell me theirs. I said then what are they going to be able to fish in then being you don’t have something new to sell them. Lol

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
One thing to keep in mind and to also keep an eye on are gas prices. I am seeing $4 per gallon around here now. The higher they go, the more it eats into demand for v8s. There is sometimes a narrative that "the people who buy these don't care about gas prices" but I can assure you that's not the case. Back in 2008 when prices spiked, I saw my area littered with trucks and large SUVs for sale. People simply couldn't afford to drive them anymore.
Wrangler 4xe enters the chat

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t remind me. I was spending $150-160 every 10 days to fill my diesel Ram
And I own a landscaping company. In 2008 I was spending $150 to fill each of 4 trucks, twice a week! Almost $5000 a month. It was devastating.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
When I got my 2019 2 door, sticker was just over $50k. If I ordered a 2 door today, sticker would be about $54k. I 392 sticker would be $78k. While I'd like to have a 392, I can't justify the roughly $25k difference myself. As @tjeeper said, I think I would still want aftermarket upgrades (axels, lift, tires) for off road use, although a lot of buyers may not need them if they never plan on going off road. I can't blame someone for using their own money to buy one. But one reason why I got a Wrangler was because it could still be fun to drive with a base engine. If I want something thats fast/quick, I'll get a sports car.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
One thing to keep in mind and to also keep an eye on are gas prices. I am seeing $4 per gallon around here now. The higher they go, the more it eats into demand for v8s. There is sometimes a narrative that "the people who buy these don't care about gas prices" but I can assure you that's not the case. Back in 2008 when prices spiked, I saw my area littered with trucks and large SUVs for sale. People simply couldn't afford to drive them anymore.
Keep in mind people lost their jobs in08 too. If they still had their jobs theyd be driving their jacked up truck regardless of gas prices. Fort mcmurray was bad for that during the crash because anyone with a heartbeat made 150k a year and all of them had 700k houses, 2 of every toy, and the newes lifted truck on 40s. Most of them were adddicted to drugs and didnt actually own their possesions.
Fuck i miss those days.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Keep in mind people lost their jobs in08 too. If they still had their jobs theyd be driving their jacked up truck regardless of gas prices. Fort mcmurray was bad for that during the crash because anyone with a heartbeat made 150k a year and all of them had 700k houses, 2 of every toy, and the newes lifted truck on 40s. Most of them were adddicted to drugs and didnt actually own their possesions.
Fuck i miss those days.
Every time the Permian Basin crashes out, there is a lightly used buffet of toys for sale. I think it's mostly the kids these days, the older guys have been through enough crashes to know better than to piss away every paycheck. Of course, that means making it to be an old timer. Oilfield work isn't easy.

I was more wondering how much the damn insurance would be on one of those. Fast acceleration and poor handling doesn't always work out so well.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Every time the Permian Basin crashes out, there is a lightly used buffet of toys for sale. I think it's mostly the kids these days, the older guys have been through enough crashes to know better than to piss away every paycheck. Of course, that means making it to be an old timer. Oilfield work isn't easy.

I was more wondering how much the damn insurance would be on one of those. Fast acceleration and poor handling doesn't always work out so well.
Yea its definitely the young kids. Ill be honest im one of them. Part of the spending problem in my opinion comes from not having a life working away from home so you spend your money to make up for all the life you missed.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, originally when the 392 became available for order, I was shocked at how many people ordered without even knowing the price. I was even more surprised when after the price was announced more people didn’t jump ship on it. Now a few short months later I’m starting to think I screwed up. This crazy car market is really starting to make 75k for the hemi look like a steal.

Am I overreacting and this car market (inflation) will settle down soon, or is the 75 thousand dollar hemi JL already a thing of the past?

Don’t get me wrong, I still think that 75k is still too much for a Wrangler. It’s still gonna drive like a Jeep and have the wind noise and creaks and rattles Jeep, but my friend is looking at maybe buying a $67,900 gladiator diesel! Seems like prices are out of control.

Let the flogging begin. 🙄 I opened myself up for it.
No flogging from me. But if I were to spend $75K on a "toy", it would be a new mid engined Vette...once the supply catches up and price gets back to MSRP. Meanwhile, my next vehicle purchase is likely to be a motorhome.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Way too much. I would only buy the 392 if made around 500k a year. 400k I would consider. I couldnt buy it cash right now, I just bought a house and a baby so I am cash strained. I also only started making real money 2 years ago. I could easily afford it with a loan though, but with the volatility of todays economy thatd be dumb. I am happy with my customized sport that I actually own and serves me 100%. I dont get it how these people go into debt to buy these cars over 60k and they dont even make over 6 figures, or make just a tad over 6. The freaking rat race.

Again. To each their own.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I just sold my 13’ 10th Anniversary 2 door Rubicon for $31,000, it was very clean, 61k miles, warn winch, Garvin rear bumper, Rigid lights etc but the 4 door JLU Rubicon I replaced it with is light years better in every way (power/mpg 3.6 vs 2.0 turbo, 5 spd vs 8 spd auto, no steering wheel shake on every bump, easy panel removal, Apple play, gps nav etc etc) sticker of 63,400 paid 58,600, no steal but a fair discount and very happy. Anyone buying a Jeep as a value should buy a Honda Pilot or similar instead, loaded in high 40’s. Boring, but lots of vehicle for the money?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I paid 43 for my jlur and have probably another 20 into it. Anyone buying a jeep and setting it up for them is spending some coin. If you have the coin DO IT if that is what you want and the more the better. We're talking about the best jeep ever produced, so spend it if you got it!!

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I get less than 200 miles on my boat, gets about 2 miles per gal and costs about $500 to fill it. The 392 sounds like a deal and doesnt require a slip at $450 per month.
Drive around with your boat on a hitch behind a 392.
Two Birds<stone
Sponsored