Sponsored

Go from the 6 to 4xe? Looking for some quick advice

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
After seeing some of the threads on here about resale values, turns out I can trade in my 2019 for a 2021 4xe for 10k out of pocket, but hopefully take advantage of tax rebates. Bringing the cost to $2500 or less.

Anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other?

Much thanks!!
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Call me crazy but I am thinking of getting one. I know I’ll be happy with the 2.0 Turbo EV but the one thing I’m sure I’ll miss is the 6 speed manual.
Gregj

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Call me crazy but I am thinking of getting one. I know I’ll be happy with the 2.0 Turbo EV but the one thing I’m sure I’ll miss is the 6 speed manual.
Gregj
I know what you mean. Been a manual guy for 30+ years. But I have to say, that auto trans is not a bad trans to have. My only issue with it is that I still sometimes forget to put it in Park before I shut it off.

OP
OP
Moses212

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Yup, going from a 6 speed to this somehow seems like an even bigger jump..

What I find most annoying is that in auto, you can't open the door while rolling slow in drive..

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other?
If you decide to go with the 4Xe, wait until the first year the MY launches are done. Run the numbers for your finances to see if the cost savings in fuel is worth getting a 4Xe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moses212

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
If you decide to go with the 4Xe, wait until the first year the MY launches are done. Run the numbers for your finances to see if the cost savings in fuel is worth getting a 4Xe.
What's the MY launch?
Fuel savings wouldn't be enough for me to switch on this basis alone. Moreover it's about possibly paying only $2500 to switch to a new vehicle.
Plus, I have a bumper and old winch waiting until I have time to install and I'm sure once I put those on, the trade in on my Jeep will drop..

Redrelyt12

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1954 Willys M38A1, 2020 Tesla 3, 2021 JLUR
What's the MY launch?
Fuel savings wouldn't be enough for me to switch on this basis alone. Moreover it's about possibly paying only $2500 to switch to a new vehicle.
Plus, I have a bumper and old winch waiting until I have time to install and I'm sure once I put those on, the trade in on my Jeep will drop..
MY = model year

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I have the new 4xe. I came out of a RAM Ecodiesel. I have also owned an F150 EB. If you like torque and good fast ramping power, these new boosted smaller engines are great fun.

Like I learned with the F150, the eco is not really the point. Either gas motor will be reasonably efficient vs. the 4xe.

If I run 50/50 battery/gas, I can get 24 mpg hand calculated in the city. But...I can also haul when I want to. The roll on is fantastic with 375/470.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Yup, going from a 6 speed to this somehow seems like an even bigger jump..

What I find most annoying is that in auto, you can't open the door while rolling slow in drive..
Do yourself a favor and go drive one. Then come back and tell is if you think the extra $2500 isn't worth the added power ;-)

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Let me preface this with the following statement: No insult or negativity is intended to those that have the 4xe. This is strictly my opinion.

This is a tough question and honestly after doing all the comparisons, even if it was a straight trade deal (or unless I had a ton of miles on my trade and wanted to dump it) IMHO.

With that said there are lots of reasons to go either way.

First the Cons:
1. Look at the dealers lots, tons of 4xe's a bunch of trucks but very few 3.6 liter high end Wranglers,
they can't give the things away.
2. Long term resale, that in itself tells the story. Go up on Carvana, Carmax, Vroom and check out the 4xe vs say a comparably equipped Wrangler Rubicon or Saraha 3.6, yup and if they get a bad rep. from being mechanical or service nightmares and your screwed down the road.
3. Go to your local Jeep dealer and talk with a Service Writers or even one of the mechanics. Heck they have a hard enough time properly fixing a Gas powered jeep, now factor in all that electronic crap and there you go.
4. 25 miles on a full charge? So much complexity for a simple 25 miles? Why did they even waste there time with that one. Plus now you have an integrated electric motor in your trans. can't wait to see how much that costs to fix. It's way to new yet and FCA has yet to work out all the bugs.
5. Batteries, sooner or later there going to need to be replaced and it won't be cheap.
6. Finally whats with all the blue? On the seats, dashboard, tow hooks and more, jeezz, lol,

Ok lets get serious and its time for the Pros:
1. They will kick the living snot out of a Gas (excluding the 392) Jeep in a drag race. If you really want fast get yourself the 392 its insane, that would be my choice.
2. Fuel range, the 4xe has a very impressive fuel range and your not limited buy having to find a charge station. I have read a number of articles that actually question the FCA claims of 49mpg.
3. Options, the 4xe Jeeps usually have all the interior extra's you usually find in the Sahara.
4. This one could go either way, is the 2.0L engine they used in the 4xe better? yes it's better on fuel then the 3.6 and in the higher altitudes because of the turbo but it requires premium fuel. Its a shame FCA didn't consider a 3.6 option.
5. You can get some good federal incentives for moving to the electric/hybrid croud and be cool while you hang out with your saving the planet electric friends!
6. If I would have been leaning toward the 4xe I without a doubt I would have leased it!

When I was on the fence a local dealer I have purchased from many times actually let me drive a 4xe. It was a trade and I had it for a couple of days. I ended up returning it and purchased a JLU Rubicon with the 3.6. Now that I have had it for a few years and seen how the market has transpired I am glad I did and feel I made the right choice. Funny thing is the dealer calls me all the time to see if I would like to trade it in for a 4xe. I probably could make a deal much like you mentioned right now. No!

What ever you decide make sure you do your homework, without a doubt see if you can get your hands on both for more then just a casual test drive. By the way, while your at it go drive a used one, that can tell you volumes! Electric or Gas, both have there merits. Best of luck on your decision.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I went from 3.6L Sport to 4xe Rubicon. I’ve had all the teething pains (never stranded but a few unscheduled service visits) and my thought is as follows:

If you’re going to buy and hold a Jeep for the next 10+ years, get the simplest one (3.6L) or the most badass one (392) and go be happy.

If it’s a DD and you’re going to churn it, lease a 4xe. When it’s working right it is a fantastic powertrain for a certain kind of usage (lots of around town driving) and the leases are just insanely cheap. When my lease ends this coming summer I have every intention of leasing a revised 2024 4xe (hello PowerBox). But originally I thought i would buy this lease out, I don’t see that being a good bet.
Sponsored