Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The sky top is quite a pricy option. Unless you'll regularly have backseat passengers, and considering your downtown location, what about the hardtop and a Bestop Sunrider that replaces the freedom panels. You'll have some added security from the hardtop, and the quick fold back of a softop for the front seats that can be opened and closed without even shifting from your driving position. The end cost would be far below the sky top, which will free up the funds to not pigeon hole your motor options.
Sponsored

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
Sky top plus cold weather package is magic. We regularly open the top when it is in the 40s. It does look a little goofy naked but we spend so much more time with the top open than we would otherwise.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Noted on not using the V4 terminology. If they are truly comparable, I’ll go for whichever is cheaper as the budget is the most important and my off-roading will only include some camping, over landing and maybe mudding at some point.
I have the V6 and like it a lot: it’s buttery smooth and refined. The output numbers are practically the same for the two motors.

Since you are in Colorado, the turbo should work better for you at elevation.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I’m looking into getting into either a 4xe, V6 or V4.

Any advice?
Your profile says you're in Colorado, so I would personally go for the 2.0T if you don't go 4Xe. The 2.0T will not lose nearly as much power in Colorado as the V6 will. Granted if you buy the V6 in Colorado and never drive it to sea level you may not ever notice, but you will lose around 20% off the published HP numbers being at our altitude. If you go up in the mountains it drops even more. It will still be adequate but the 2.0T won't lose nearly as much power. I love mine :)

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Will, since you're in Colorado the 2.0 turbo should perform a bit better at the higher altitudes.
If you have a dealer that has all the motor options you're considering I'd test them all just to get a better idea of what you're getting. Oh, and if you can get something in a 2door that's MUCH better :)
😯 ooh, I didn't know the being at a high altitude would work in the 2.0 turbos favor. That is something to consider. I really want a 2door but Idk if I can sacrifice the space. The majority of the time it'll be me and the gf and the pup but occasionally I'll have the additional passenger plus the cargo, especially when we hit the trails with friends. I haven't test-driven a 2door since 2016. I'll go test drive a 2door and see if things have changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The 4xe magic really happens when you can charge it. It sounds like you might not have access to a way to charge it, so that may influence your decision. Running in hybrid mode with limited charge on the battery will most surely be less efficient than just running the 2.0. But I seem to recall Colorado having state EV incentives. On top of the federal incentive, you might be ok for a year or two in the fuel cost space.
I checked the area and there appear to be some chargers within walking distance that I could possibly park pick it up later. My work commute is about a 5-minute walk so I'm not as concerned about the daily commute. I'll mostly be running errands on weekends and hitting the trails in the summer.

Yeah, the CO incentive is an additional $1500 with a lease which makes me consider the 4xe more.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
😯 ooh, I didn't know the being at a high altitude would work in the 2.0 turbos favor. That is something to consider. I really want a 2door but Idk if I can sacrifice the space. The majority of the time it'll be me and the gf and the pup but occasionally I'll have the additional passenger plus the cargo, especially when we hit the trails with friends. I haven't test-driven a 2door since 2016. I'll go test drive a 2door and see if things have changed.
I had a 2003 TJ, but when we got a 2nd dog it just became too small. So I sold the TJ and traded my other car and condensed down to the 4-door JL. I love having the extra room especially if we're packing both dogs along for the ride.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The sky top is quite a pricy option. Unless you'll regularly have backseat passengers, and considering your downtown location, what about the hardtop and a Bestop Sunrider that replaces the freedom panels. You'll have some added security from the hardtop, and the quick fold back of a softop for the front seats that can be opened and closed without even shifting from your driving position. The end cost would be far below the sky top, which will free up the funds to not pigeon hole your motor options.
I hadn't considered that. I think that combination would be ideal. The majority of the time it will be just me the gf and the pup.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your profile says you're in Colorado, so I would personally go for the 2.0T if you don't go 4Xe. The 2.0T will not lose nearly as much power in Colorado as the V6 will. Granted if you buy the V6 in Colorado and never drive it to sea level you may not ever notice, but you will lose around 20% off the published HP numbers being at our altitude. If you go up in the mountains it drops even more. It will still be adequate but the 2.0T won't lose nearly as much power. I love mine :)
Good to know! I think I'll go with the 2.0T considering i'll be driving in CO primarily, with the occasional road trip across the country.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I've had my 2dr 80th edition with the 2.0T for about 7 weeks now. Before ordering it, I test drove both the 3.6 V6 and the 2 Liter turbo just to compare. I was surprised that I preferred the smaller motor. In the 1150 miles I've driven it so far, I've never been disappointed in its performance. It's a fine performer and much quicker than you'd expect. Gas mileage on mine is 24.3 which is decent for a Wrangler.

Turns out it's the same motor that's used in Alfa Romeos and Maseratis. No wonder it punches above its weight class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCA_Global_Medium_Engine

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Good to know! I think I'll go with the 2.0T considering i'll be driving in CO primarily, with the occasional road trip across the country.
I drove from Denver down to Co Springs and back a few weeks ago for a Rona vaccine. The trip computer said I got 31.5 MPG on the way down, and 29.5 MPG on the way back. This was on I-25 at 65-75 MPH. I figure the actual MPG is about 7% less than indicated based on my prior MPG tracking but still that's 27-28MPG out of a 2+ ton brick. I though that was pretty impressive for a short road trip anyway.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
I have a '21 2.0L with the Sky One Touch. It's just so darn convenient to open the top whenever I want and have a modest degree of the Jeep open experience literally within seconds. It may not end up being the totally cool look of running completely naked, but I asked myself how often I'd likely do that compared to just having the top back, and I'm really happy with my choice. Engine wise, I asked the experts at Barlow Jeep Rentals and they strongly recommended the 2.0. Also quite happy with that choice. Good luck with your decision... it'll be the one that fits what you want to achieve!

PXL_20210501_185139281 (1).jpg

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Based on the majority of posts around here. First thing to do is ask your wife. Second thing is do whatever she says.
haha, funny you said that. I just told my gf she had to pick the top. She was leaning toward the sky touch but then she thought about bears so she changed to the hard top

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Like a few others have said - think about what you want to do with the Jeep.

If I wanted to run around my local neighborhood (not knockin it, just not my thing) with my Jeep, it would be 4xe for sure.

Modest short range off roading, I'd go with 4xe or I4.

Long range camping/overland stuff, lots of time high above sea level - i4 all day.
Sponsored