Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a big molded plastic cover like Jeep I’m sure someone could get that for you.
That engine bay needs a lot more than plastic cover.

Looks like the high school slob's science project. 🤪
Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
That engine bay needs a lot more than plastic cover.

Looks like the high school slob's science project. 🤪
There’s a ton of wires coolant lines and black wrapped tape in the JL engine bay too. Nature of the beast now a days.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Right.

Time for new glasses.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Overt Retro styling was cool in 2005 when Ford did it with the new Mustang, but by 2010 it had worn out its welcome and Ford facelifted the Mustang making it more modern looking. The transition back to more contemporary-inspired styling that still evoked the classic characteristics of the Mustang was completed when they released the current-gen Mustang in 2016.

In my opinion Ford is making a mistake with the Bronco styling, making it “Overt Retro” just like they did with the S197 Mustang in 2005. This is in contrast to the Jeep, which has timeless styling that has matured and evolved naturally over the decades.

Styling-wise, Ford is at a disadvantage because they have to ensure people understand it’s a Bronco- hence the Overt Retro design choices- but they run the risk of that same styling growing tired by 2027 (if the same timeline as the Mustang holds true).

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is going to give @Richtor an aneurysm but I wanted to share my graphical depiction of what I believe is going on with the Bronco’s styling. By the way- I only bring the Mustang into the discussion because I see correlation with what Ford is doing with the Bronco and what Ford did with the successful 2005 Mustang. Incidentally, you may remember a modern-retro Bronco concept from around the time of the 2005 Mustang... interesting.

Anyway without further ado:

Edit: if the text is blurry then the image got compressed and I wasted a lot of time, but you probably still get the picture
C9088ABC-2F90-4CAD-B18B-8C34F9EC64B6.png

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I hope the Bronco does effect the JL sales, then us poor Jeep buyers outside of the US might be able to get their Jeeps in less than 6-9 months ;) Especially since the Bronco isn't coming here in Aus anyway :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the Bronco does effect the JL sales, then us poor Jeep buyers outside of the US might be able to get their Jeeps in less than 6-9 months ;) Especially since the Bronco isn't coming here in Aus anyway :)
Australia has been getting shafted by the automakers.

At this rate, you may be more likely to get a cloned JL from China before the real deal from Jeep. 😫

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
That video by Raiti does make the Bronco look pretty darn ugly. I would never get one of those over a JL but I am sure there will be better looking trims, colors and configurations.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
The retro styling is a way to get it back out there, it may evolve to be like every other SUV out there over the next 10 years, but at release it needs to stand out.

Just look at the Ford Edge, Honda CRV, Buick Encore, Nissan Rogue, etc. They all look alike, from a distance, it can be very difficult to even identify some of them. There's a reason they are sometimes referred to as Soccer Dad vehicles, as opposed to the Soccer Mom minivans. They're all just kind of blah.

Retro styling sells, Dodge Challenger did it, Ford Mustang did it, Ford Thunderbird did it (I thought it was ugly BTW :) ), Chevy Camaro did it. There are a lot of people who just don't like all the Euro looking cars that are available, and retro styling adds more lines and definitions.

I know I much prefer a boxier, sharper edges look than I do the very rounded aerodynamic styling of most modern vehicles.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The retro styling is a way to get it back out there, it may evolve to be like every other SUV out there over the next 10 years, but at release it needs to stand out.

Just look at the Ford Edge, Honda CRV, Buick Encore, Nissan Rogue, etc. They all look alike, from a distance, it can be very difficult to even identify some of them. There's a reason they are sometimes referred to as Soccer Dad vehicles, as opposed to the Soccer Mom minivans. They're all just kind of blah.

Retro styling sells, Dodge Challenger did it, Ford Mustang did it, Ford Thunderbird did it (I thought it was ugly BTW :) ), Chevy Camaro did it. There are a lot of people who just don't like all the Euro looking cars that are available, and retro styling adds more lines and definitions.

I know I much prefer a boxier, sharper edges look than I do the very rounded aerodynamic styling of most modern vehicles.
At one point, the Hyundai Santa Fe and Ford Edged appeared to have been designed by the same person!

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620311768899

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620311824502

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
That video by Raiti does make the Bronco look pretty darn ugly. I would never get one of those over a JL but I am sure there will be better looking trims, colors and configurations.
Keep in mind that is a pre-production model being shown so some things could be changed slightly. That brush bar on the front for example, he said that will be changed slightly. Hopefully they replace that outerbanks sticker with a badge, to me the sticker makes it look incredibly cheap.
This is a typical JL engine bay

This is Bronco's engine bay...!
A modern twin turbo engine bay, I just feel like it's going to look like that unless you put a cover on it. I believe ford used to have a cover for the 2.7L in the F-150 but that was removed a couple of years ago due to cost cutting I guess. For myself such a thing isn't much of an issue but it does look intimidating to work on.

Looking at these two photos side by side though, one thing jumps out at me. That would be the alternator location. Does Ford's 2.7L have a traditional alternator? I notice that the JL has the alternator mounted center and up high, very high. One of the highest things in the engine bay. The Bronco, I don't see the alternator. Assuming it has one (modern cars, I got no idea maybe it doesn't), it looks like Ford has the alternator mounted down lower toward the driver side. Seems like that the Bronco's alternator may be at risk of water/mud getting to it more easily.

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
I watched a bit of that video, but Jesus, do I hate being yelled at and oversold (such as where he is telling us about the cool badges that tell us what trim level it is - that “badge” looked like a refrigerator magnet stuck on the side of the thing) for ten minutes, so I gave up after a while.
Still, I’m kind of looking forward to actually seeing one in the wild before passing any final judgment.
Sponsored