Sponsored

Engine running rough/sputtering?

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Purchased my wrangler in February, and recently felt like the engine is running rough/sputtering. After looking through some of the posts here, I have seen a few about engine sputtering, but im not sure if mine is as bad as theirs. Can you let me know if this sounds normal and I am just being sensitive, or if I should have it checked out? It only has about 2,000 miles it. Seems to me like it only does it on startup and calms down after running for a min or two

Sponsored

JSingh

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Was just searching this same "issue", guess I'm not alone. mine does same thing, been reading other posts and so far answers are its normal if it goes away, problem if its stays longer.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Both of mine are similar upon first starting and until they've warmed up, usually a minute or two. They've done that since new and seems like it's normal. Once warmed up, they RPM's come down and they idle smoothly.

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both of mine are similar upon first starting and until they've warmed up, usually a minute or two. They've done that since new and seems like it's normal. Once warmed up, they RPM's come down and they idle smoothly.
That’s what I was thinking. I had been running on 89 mid grade gasoline since I got it (that’s what the dealer put) took it close to empty and filled it up with 93 premium and seems like it is running much better. Thank you for your help!

Sponsored

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was just searching this same "issue", guess I'm not alone. mine does same thing, been reading other posts and so far answers are its normal if it goes away, problem if its stays longer.
Are you running premium gas?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
No just regular, should I switch? Did it help much or just temporary?
That’s what I was thinking. I had been running on 89 mid grade gasoline since I got it (that’s what the dealer put) took it close to empty and filled it up with 93 premium and seems like it is running much better. Thank you for your help!
more than likely fuel rating doesn't have influence on staring and idle . It does have great influence under load and once engine is hot. The valve train seen noticeably noisy ..it just doesn't sound right to me

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No just regular, should I switch? Did it help much or just temporary?
Try it out, I feel like it’s running much better. Let me know what you think.

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
more than likely fuel rating doesn't have influence on staring and idle . It does have great influence under load and once engine is hot. The valve train seen noticeably noisy ..it just doesn't sound right to me
Mine doesn’t sound right to you? What do you think could be the problem?

Sponsored

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you referring to the quick variation in the RPM?
Yes, and if you listen to it there sounds like a slight grinding noise, I don’t know if it is normal or not. What do you think?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, and if you listen to it there sounds like a slight grinding noise, I don’t know if it is normal or not. What do you think?
I have the 3.6 but to me everything sounds normal except for that variation in the rpm because mine is always steady, even during a cold start, but that could be a 2.0 thing.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Mine doesn’t sound right to you? What do you think could be the problem?
the valve train ..i don't own a 2.0 so just an opinion . but some engines are noisier lifters take longer to pump up maybe?

OP
OP

bigzeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)