3.0 vs 2.0, it's Jeep time for Mongo!

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
When you're working that 2.0 in the heat, the cooling fan ramps up and down with engine RPM and it's incredibly annoying, jet turbine levels of noise. I just didn't vibe with the 2.0 when I had one for a couple weeks. Sounds like a Nissan Versa too. There are plenty who like it though. It does have a tiny bit more noticeable torque, but nothing I'd give up the more muscular 3.6 for.

The 3.6 has a nice sporty burble to it and is bulletproof compared to the other options. I'll pick it every time.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
When you're working that 2.0 in the heat, the cooling fan ramps up and down with engine RPM and it's incredibly annoying, jet turbine levels of noise. I just didn't vibe with the 2.0 when I had one for a couple weeks. Sounds like a Nissan Versa too. There are plenty who like it though. It does have a tiny bit more noticeable torque, but nothing I'd give up the more muscular 3.6 for.

The 3.6 has a nice sporty burble to it and is bulletproof compared to the other options. I'll pick it every time.
Cooling demand is a byproduct of the power produced. More power=more fan given the same conditions.

I hear more burble from my Rubicon with the 3.6 but while itā€™s nice, Iā€™m still more thrilled with function than things like that. Generally, Iā€™ve got more unpleasant engine noise, aside from exhaust burble, coming from the 3.6 but it doesnā€™t sound bad either. Itā€™s splitting hairs really. Out of nowhere the wife commented on it as well but itā€™s not objectionable. On a cold morning, the 2.0 is noisy though. The 4cyl sound reminds me of the original Jeeps.

As to low rpm torque, maybe my 2.0 is a freak but itā€™s not even close. Iā€™m talking seat of the pants 40-50 lb ft not even close based on decades of performance mods.

OP
OP
RusM

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
At legal highway speeds and higher, my 2.0 on 38x13.5's lifted 4" over stock and factory 4.10's is cruising at about 1900 rpm. While briskly accelerating I shift at about 4000 rpm.
What's your mpg?

Well drove both today on the same loop, the 2.0 pulls hard! I liked both a lot, but am thinking going turbo 4 to avoid the modern diesel issues. More research tonight!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
What's your mpg?

Well drove both today on the same loop, the 2.0 pulls hard! I liked both a lot, but am thinking going turbo 4 to avoid the modern diesel issues. More research tonight!
I know there is a lot of bashing on here in threads like this, but you are going about it in the right way. you are asking others opinions, and driving both yourself to see what you think. the "feel" of a vehicle is very subjective so at the end of the day it is really what you like the most.

Even though I personally do not like the 3.6, I fully accept that its a good engine and that others may like it the most. The 2.0 has proven itself to be a capable engine, and at one time was the "upgrade" engine. While I will be ordering the 3.0, I really don't think any of the options are "bad" or a dumb decision.

Look forward to seeing your build when you get it!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What's your mpg?

Honestly, mpg is not something I pay much attention to. I did get a glance of my average, a week or so ago, as I was scrolling through the gages at a long light. 19.9 combined. That's the result of a 15 minute all highway drive to work, and a 40 minute stop and go drive home via the scenic route, to spend quality time with my mistress. šŸ˜† My driving style is very "middle of the road", whereas I don't race off with the pack but I'm also not trying to stretch a gallon either.

I'm a former diesel mechanic of just over 30 years. It was the family business. My whole immediate family and I used to solely drive diesel personal vehicles. That changed when the powers that be decided to fix something that wasn't broken.

You'll read a lot about the complaints towards the over complicated emissions equipment, but rarely hear about the reformulated diesel fuel itself. The sulfur was drastically reduced to far below its effectiveness. Sulfur is what gave the fuel its lubrication properties and also a cooling factor. That not only prolonged the lifespan of the high pressure side of the fuel system, by reducing wear and erosion of the injectors and pump internals, but the constant lube and cooling "fuel wash" in the cylinders was another factor that gave diesels their reputation of longevity. Diesel is now very dry, akin to kerosene, and acts like a much better solvent compared to washing and prepping parts in the original formulation.

This new diesel may get better mpg, but the initial buy in price and higher maintenance costs would require up to 200-250k miles to break even.

I've been very happy with the low and mid range torque of the 2.0 motor.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
He can cruise the 3.0 between 1500-2000 the 2.0 is between 2500-4000 . Thatā€™s why I said high or low rpm
Iā€™ve had my 2.0T for a few years now. My cruising RPMs is LESS THAN 2000, closer to 1500 - even with 35 MTs. Where did you get your info?

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Iā€™ve had my 2.0T for a few years now. My cruising RPMs is LESS THAN 2000, closer to 1500 - even with 35 MTs. Where did you get your info? Thatā€™s 35s in the flat lands , not loaded on 37s in the hills . The 2.0 torque range is 2500-4000 ..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on 38's and am never anywhere near those cruising rpms to maintain my usual 70mph, regardless of hills or a stiff headwind. On a steeper climb with a strong headwind I've had to drop to 6th to maintain speed, which put me just about at 2500. Either you didn't correct your speedo and your shift points are off, or you've got an issue going on with your 2.0 motor.

OP
OP
RusM

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Iā€™ve had my 2.0T for a few years now. My cruising RPMs is LESS THAN 2000, closer to 1500 - even with 35 MTs. Where did you get your info?
What are you getting mpg wise? How's the power on 35's, any issues?

OP
OP
RusM

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Honestly, mpg is not something I pay much attention to. I did get a glance of my average, a week or so ago, as I was scrolling through the gages at a long light. 19.9 combined. That's the result of a 15 minute all highway drive to work, and a 40 minute stop and go drive home via the scenic route, to spend quality time with my mistress. šŸ˜† My driving style is very "middle of the road", whereas I don't race off with the pack but I'm also not trying to stretch a gallon either.

I'm a former diesel mechanic of just over 30 years. It was the family business. My whole immediate family and I used to solely drive diesel personal vehicles. That changed when the powers that be decided to fix something that wasn't broken.

You'll read a lot about the complaints towards the over complicated emissions equipment, but rarely hear about the reformulated diesel fuel itself. The sulfur was drastically reduced to far below its effectiveness. Sulfur is what gave the fuel its lubrication properties and also a cooling factor. That not only prolonged the lifespan of the high pressure side of the fuel system, by reducing wear and erosion of the injectors and pump internals, but the constant lube and cooling "fuel wash" in the cylinders was another factor that gave diesels their reputation of longevity. Diesel is now very dry, akin to kerosene, and acts like a much better solvent compared to washing and prepping parts in the original formulation.

This new diesel may get better mpg, but the initial buy in price and higher maintenance costs would require up to 200-250k miles to break even.

I've been very happy with the low and mid range torque of the 2.0 motor.
I get it the only other vehicle than Toyota I've had has been three Cummins engines in Dodge trucks. For me going from Toyota to Jeep I'm expecting some issues, I find bad mileage annoying, but not a big deal until a big backcountry or road trip comes up.

I like the idea of a diesel, but not sure it's worth it for the mileage gains vs potential issues with a modern diesel. Though I've known several people with >100k miles on the Ram 1500 3.0 without any issues. I'm also thinking I could get some cool options for the price difference!

This is dumb I didn't think choosing the damn engine was going to be the hard part after I decided to order a Jeep!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get it the only other vehicle than Toyota I've had has been three Cummins engines in Dodge trucks. For me going from Toyota to Jeep I'm expecting some issues, I find bad mileage annoying, but not a big deal until a big backcountry or road trip comes up.

I like the idea of a diesel, but not sure it's worth it for the mileage gains vs potential issues with a modern diesel. Though I've known several people with >100k miles on the Ram 1500 3.0 without any issues. I'm also thinking I could get some cool options for the price difference!

This is dumb I didn't think choosing the damn engine was going to be the hard part after I decided to order a Jeep!
Lifelong mechanic here, and motor choice was the toughest for me as well. After over 100 test drives, the 2.0 kept shining the brightest, so I ordered my JLUR with it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
What are you getting mpg wise? How's the power on 35's, any issues?
I am at 21 MPG, mostly country roads with some city, with only a few miles of interstate at 80 MPH. After recalibrating with the excellent ECRI device I just received, power is the same as it was with the 33s I took off. Recalibrating the tire size made a big difference with the transmission shift points as well - but you have to give the auto trans learning algorithm a little while to readjust.

At 55MPH Iā€™m cruising in 7th just above 1500 RPMs. I have a 3.5ā€ lift (which lifted me a full five inches), a heavy steel front bumper with heavy winch, and heavy rock rails.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

I donā€™t know if this helps, but I traded in my Toyota FJ Cruiser for my Jeep. It was an excellent vehicle and we loved it, but Iā€™ve always wanted a Jeep, and it was my retirement present to myself after retiring from 30 challenging years in the Army.

The FJ had the venerable 4.0 six cylinder with the 6 speed auto. My 2.0T with 8 speed weighs almost the same. I was averaging 19 MPGs in the FJ, with no payload. I put 100,000K on that vehicle, with zero issues before trading it for the Jeep. With 33s I was pulling an average of 23 MPGs in the Jeep before going to 35s.

OP
OP
RusM

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Something else I hadn't really factored was the 3.0 wieghs significantly more than the 2.0, I was expecting a couple hundred pounds. But it's more like 4-500#! That's a significant amount of weight right over the front axle and not great for snow wheeling. So a 2.0 with winch, bumpers, sliders would weigh right in around what the 3.0 wieghs stock.

Well I think I've pretty much talked myself out of the diesel at this point. Plus it's going to be nice to have a slightly smaller car payment! Going to put my order in this weekend:

Rubicon Unlimited
Hydro Blue
2.0T
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow Package
BFG A/Ts
Black softtop (Really Fiat I've got to pay to get black?!)

Any good reason to get the 8.4" screen or LEDs from the factory or just get aftermarket later?

Thanks fellow Jeepers! :captain:

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Something else I hadn't really factored was the 3.0 wieghs significantly more than the 2.0, I was expecting a couple hundred pounds. But it's more like 4-500#! That's a significant amount of weight right over the front axle and not great for snow wheeling. So a 2.0 with winch, bumpers, sliders would weigh right in around what the 3.0 wieghs stock.

Well I think I've pretty much talked myself out of the diesel at this point. Plus it's going to be nice to have a slightly smaller car payment! Going to put my order in this weekend:

Rubicon Unlimited
Hydro Blue
2.0T
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow Package
BFG A/Ts
Black softtop (Really Fiat I've got to pay to get black?!)

Any good reason to get the 8.4" screen or LEDs from the factory or just get aftermarket later?

Thanks fellow Jeepers! :captain:
Sponsored