Max Regen "Braking " Status Light

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
To add to my brake insanity, I sometimes like to avoid triggering the brake lights and do a gradual speed adjust. It can prevent the snake effect on the highway. Doesn't help me too much, but all the people a few miles back will benefit.
Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe

Also, feels like the primary brake is still the regen even with the brake pedal.

You are correct. Depressing the brake pedal activates regeneration and that is what is really stopping the vehicle. If you continue to depress the pedal further than the friction brakes blend in.

The 4xe drive train design is somewhat unique for PHEVs. The Jeep design allows for a MUCH higher regen level because it can multiply the kinetic energy with the transmisson gears to keep the motors spinning faster than a traditional PHEV (or even a BEV) might. This allows for regen down to very very slow speeds before the magnetic field collapses and the friction brakes are required. Shift the transfer case to 4L and the multiplication factor would be even greater.

I am anxious to try out Max Regen on a descent with 4L engaged. :)

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I down shift my Camaro and I can easily stop quicker or at the same rate as max regen. The brake lights don't come on and I've never had anyone rear end me. No one has come close with max regen on either.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The 4xe drive train design is somewhat unique for PHEVs. The Jeep design allows for a MUCH higher regen level because it can multiply the kinetic energy with the transmisson gears to keep the motors spinning faster than a traditional PHEV (or even a BEV) might. This allows for regen down to very very slow speeds before the magnetic field collapses and the friction brakes are required. Shift the transfer case to 4L and the multiplication factor would be even greater.
That makes me want to drive with a bunch of passengers and nervously look around the dash while slowing down.
Passengers: "What, what is it?"
Me: "...The magnetic field is collapsing"

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
That makes me want to drive with a bunch of passengers and nervously look around the dash while slowing down.
LMAO, but you can feel it collapsing! It makes a slight jerk when the friction brakes kick in.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:)
Then ask them to hand you the flux capacitor before the Jeep completely dies.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I down shift my Camaro and I can easily stop quicker or at the same rate as max regen. The brake lights don't come on and I've never had anyone rear end me. No one has come close with max regen on either.
Out of curiosity, what setting is your Tcase in when you use Max Regen? We have been leaving it in 4HAuto and the Max Regen is very aggressive. Just to see what would happen....I shifted the Tcase into 4H (normal?) and it felt much less aggressive. Somewhere in a previous post or different thread I saw there is a graphic on the screen that shows power flow. It looks like Max regen is more effective in 4HAuto because it uses all 4 wheels to harness energy where 4H normal only uses the rear wheels?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Out of curiosity, what setting is your Tcase in when you use Max Regen? We have been leaving it in 4HAuto and the Max Regen is very aggressive. Just to see what would happen....I shifted the Tcase into 4H (normal?) and it felt much less aggressive. Somewhere in a previous post or different thread I saw there is a graphic on the screen that shows power flow. It looks like Max regen is more effective in 4HAuto because it uses all 4 wheels to harness energy where 4H normal only uses the rear wheels?
I normally run in 2H.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I normally run in 2H.
That makes sense.
I have ours in 4HAuto so when Max Regen is selected it is very aggressive. Even more aggressive then in our full BEV vehicles. Our Focus Electric just has two settings. Normal or "L" (activated by pulling the shifter down into the L position). The Mach-E has something like 9 settings. 3 "driving experiences" (as Ford calls it) and then each experience (mode) has 3 variables that you can select which affects the regen level. It's kinda cool because it changes the personality of the vehicle.

It is turning out the 4xe has a variety as well. We can run in 2H in normal or push the MR button. 4HAuto with the same two selections and I expect 4L will be another experience as well.
Pretty cool actually....

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just watched one of the YouTubers doing 4xe videos, it's the guy that sounds like David Letterman (or Evil Dave for Stern fans). He mounted a camera in the back and determined the brake like does active in one pedal mode with Max Regen.

Sponsored