JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I didnt know we were talking about 2012. Thats why I was so confused about the JK picture. I thought we were talking about JLs since this is the JL forum
You said buy a Jeep. I did, in 2012. You said the JL is better. It should better as its $18k(about 50% higher) more than what paid for my new 12 Rubicon.
Sponsored

MightyAndrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
So I got to "see" a couple of Broncos this past weekend. They were in a dealer's parking lot and were not allowed to be test-driven.

Both of the Broncos were 4-doors with soft tops. One was an Outer Banks and one was a Big Bend. The Big Bend had cloth interior and a manual. Outer Banks was automatic.

The interior was a little better than I expected. I liked the grab handles and some of the interior layout. The center stack has some really ugly Ford parts bin parts, for example the AC controls. The layout accommodates larger infotainment and a wireless charging pad for your phone, which I think integrates with wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. I like how the Aux switches are overhead. I didn't like the placement of the window switches and I don't like the rotary TC selector. I like how there is an option for charging ports at the top of the dashboard. Overall, I think the Wrangler interior is much better-looking, but Bronco has better tech.

The Outer Banks had gray/blue interior that was kind of vinyl/leather. It didn't look very good to me.

I also noticed that the doors don't require you to pull off trim pieces and remove bolts for the door checks to disconnect.

Visibility with the soft top down was terrible. Rear visibility overall was poor compared to Wrangler.

Turn indicators in the mirrors and body-colored mirrors on the Outer Banks looked nice. The fenders on the Big Bend didn't look as bad as I thought they would.

I'm a big fan of the frameless windows. Definitely feels and looks more open than a Wrangler with the top down and the doors on.

The interior was very open with the top down without the sport bar, but I think I would miss the dome light and speakers.

Lack of AC vents in the rear of the 4-door was a big miss.

I know styling is subjective. I like the grille and the overall shape and styling. But to me it doesn't look better than a Wrangler from any angle. Obviously the top is a little chopped compared to the Wrangler. The shoulder of the doors is a little higher on the Wrangler. The end effect is that the Bronco feels a little more low-slung than the Wrangler which is more upright, if that makes sense. From the rear they look almost identical. The Front-end has some issues. The bull bar covers the Bronco logo and the winch has to be mounted on top of the bumper (if the bumper even accommodates a winch).

That's all I can speak to without driving it. As it sits in a parking lot, it feels a LOT like a Wrangler. For the causal buyer I can't imagine not cross-shopping it with a Wrangler once it is generally available.
This is one overlook that just baffles me. As well as the lack of rear cup holders. Itā€™s head scratching

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I used to think that IFS was almost required for any high-speed off roading, until I pushed my JLUR to the limits on a real rough rocky backroad through the mountains......speeds up to ~50mph over a lot of big rock, small ledges, creek crossings etc.....and holy shit these things ride and perform better at speed than going slow. I was freaking amazed. I race dirt bikes (cross country) and have a good understanding of suspension performance over nasty terrain, I walked away super impressed.

My only complaint is wheel hop in sand and snow, other than that I'm not sure the bronco IFS will have a big advantage for the JL's SFA?? Thoughts?
I agree. I LOVE to go fast as well. I trussed my axles upgraded shafts front and rear, as well as throwing in ADS shocks. Works great with all this but honestly stock it was amazing too. My thoughts on IFS and speed/handling is mostly from reading up on the benefits. So I give them credit in that venue, but in tech I have seen them, they are pretty silly unless you lengthen the arms quite a bit.

Havent noticed any suspension issues stock. When I went to 35s the suspension didnt work as well but that is understandable. 37s 4 inch lift, ADS suspension and it's gold.

I used to race dirt bikes (KTM 300s CR500AF's)and still go fast and know suspension and reading the terrain. Again I agree the JL is fun as hell ripping but I still think the Bronco with a 2.7 will be magic going fast.

BTW I just got back from the Bronco safari (they have to copy everything jeep does lol ) And a nice guy I was yapping to mention the bronco did mickey's hot tub. I didnt want to hurt his feelings but that isnt much of a feat. The obstacle is best conquered with a mostly stock rig. Low slung and a long wheel base will get you up top. Top well set up rigs have the most problems because most are the opposite of what you need there.

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
I'd thought I'd finally chime in after reading 39 pages of banter as well as good comments.

From a auto manufacture stance, Ford has made a good decision to revive the Bronco. Are they targeting the Jeep crowd? Of course they are but don't think that's their main target. Ford understands loyalty, they experienced it with the F150 ( I've owned 5 ford trucks). Ford doesn't expected the Jeep community to jump ship one after the other.

Market departments look a a variety of things when introducing (in this case, reintroduce) such as competition, available room in niche markets, buying characteristics in age brackets, economy, after market part sales market segments......etc. Whether they are copying Jeep or not, they want to play in the adventure auto market so they need to bring a product that can do what jeeps do. Base on engineering, rock climbing requirements and a few other factors, such a new offering will look somewhat similar to a Jeep Wrangler. Not to sway jeep enthusiast but to produce a vehicle that can do what a jeep can do. The designs are going to be similar to achieve their goal.

Jeep shouldn't own the market, competition is good and will bring improvements to the Jeep Wrangler world.

I'll keep my 2021 Rubicon for years to come. Ford is my choice for trucks (21 F250 FX4 King Ranch).

Last edited:

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Dodge hasn't sold pickups for something like 13 years now. Ram is the brand that sells pickups. But truly Power Wagon numbers for recent years are proving to be tough to come by. Seems that producers don't share the heavy duty pickup sales information like they do everything else. I found a Ram source showing that the Power Wagon is 5% of all 2500 series produced, but I can't find how many 2500s were produced. But I will see it is not uncommon for me to see a Power Wagon in the wild, so I believe they sell well for being such a niche vehicle.

I'm assuming you mean the F-150 tremossr based on cross shopping it with a rebel. Sounds to me like you wanted an off road style package rather than an off road pickup. The tremors do look good, but to me they'll always be the JV version of the Raptor.
Ha Ha :LOL: I still call them Dodge trucks. Can't help myself.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Haha. You are funny. If Iā€™m spending close to $60k Iā€™m not buying a vehicle that can only do one thing as my only vehicle.
Where is your Rubicon?
EA5F028F-70C8-417C-88A7-B121DB4BFE70.jpeg
That is a nice looking JKR you have. I'm on the fence about what to replace my 2012 JKUR with. My son is buying my JKUR and I'm gun shy about buying a new JLR Wrangler to replace it due to reading about all sorts of issues from the auxiliary battery to the problems with the rear locker sensor failing and having to replace the entire axle. I keep thinking the new JL has way to many high tech features for me. I haven't had any issues with my JKUR, its has nearly 80,000 miles on it. The more I read and think about it the more I'm convinced to find a lightly use JKR. Although, if Jeep sold the J6 I wouldn't hesitate in getting one.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
That is a nice looking JKR you have. I'm on the fence about what to replace my 2012 JKUR with. My son is buying my JKUR and I'm gun shy about buying a new JLR Wrangler to replace it due to reading about all sorts of issues from the auxiliary battery to the problems with the rear locker sensor failing and having to replace the entire axle. I keep thinking the new JL has way to many high tech features for me. I haven't had any issues with my JKUR, its has nearly 80,000 miles on it. The more I read and think about it the more I'm convinced to find a lightly use JKR. Although, if Jeep sold the J6 I wouldn't hesitate in getting one.
You have to remember for everyone that complains there is maybe a couple hundred thousands not on the boards with no complaints.
Also if something not right Jeep will make it right. If you can find one for a decent price buy it. Used vehicles are selling for more than new ones these days. No inventory.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
250 Tremor
Boy that is a clean looking pickup. What are you hauling with it? I'm still confused why you were cross shopping a rebel against an F-250. The F-250 Tremor is probably the pickup I'd go with if I needed 3/4 ton payload and towing. The Power Wagon's payload is so compromised by the suspension I truly believe it's more comparable to a Gladiator than any other 3/4 ton. But I'll be honest, the F-250 Tremor would only be at the top of my list because of its looks. Like every other full sized pickup the F-250 Tremor is just too large for the trails I run and I'd hate to have 3/4 ton suspension on a rocky trail.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Boy that is a clean looking pickup. What are you hauling with it? I'm still confused why you were cross shopping a rebel against an F-250. The F-250 Tremor is probably the pickup I'd go with if I needed 3/4 ton payload and towing. The Power Wagon's payload is so compromised by the suspension I truly believe it's more comparable to a Gladiator than any other 3/4 ton. But I'll be honest, the F-250 Tremor would only be at the top of my list because of its looks. Like every other full sized pickup the F-250 Tremor is just too large for the trails I run and I'd hate to have 3/4 ton suspension on a rocky trail.
I was cross shopping a Tremor and 2dr Rubi. Haha. At the same price the Tremor just has more capability/usefulness. I also looked at the Rebel(interior/look) if I could get one optioned like I wanted and the gladiator(never had a shot as itā€™s more than the JL).
Any of those 3 in the mid $40kā€™s Iā€™d would have purchased. At $53k the Tremor is a hell of a truck for the dollar!

10 minutes before I ordered I made an offer on a Rubi(dealer had 4 all same options on lot for the past 3 months) that was turned down. I simply walked across the street and ordered the Tremor. Their loss....

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I'd thought I'd finally chime in after reading 39 pages of banter as well as good comments.

From a auto manufacture stance, Ford has made a good decision to revive the Bronco. Are they targeting the Jeep crowd? Of course they are but don't think that's their main target. Ford understands loyalty, they experienced it with the F150 ( I've owned 5 ford trucks). Ford doesn't expected the Jeep community to jump ship one after the other.

Market departments look a a variety of things when introducing (in this case, reintroduce) such as competition, available room in niche markets, buying characteristics in age brackets, economy, after market part sales market segments......etc. Whether they are copying Jeep or not, they want to play in the adventure auto market so they need to bring a product that can do what jeeps do. Base on engineering, rock climbing requirements and a few other factors, such a new offering will look somewhat similar to a Jeep Wrangler. Not to sway jeep enthusiast but to produce a vehicle that can do what a jeep can do. The designs are going to be similar to achieve their goal.

Jeep shouldn't own the market, competition is good and will bring improvements to the Jeep Wrangler world.

I'll keep my 2021 Rubicon for years to come. Ford is my choice for trucks (21 F250 FX4 King Ranch).
And Ford essentially gave up on passenger cars. There is no question the Bronco will be more profitable than a Focus and Taurus.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Joe Raiti uploaded a video of a Bronco Outer Banks a couple weeks ago. This is the closest I have seen Bronco so far.

The Good:
  1. If the steel bumpers are standard, that'd be a big plus
  2. The overhead auxiliary switches look very cool
  3. That 10-speed auto should work very well. It has received rave reviews on Ranger
  4. The interior looks modern and spacious, albeit a bit gray and generic
The Bad:
  1. The soft top and side curtains show a lot of slack. Ford likely did this to make soft top easier to handle, but results in a sloppy look and, likely, a lot of wind buffeting on the highway
  2. In typical Ford fashion, the details look good from far but are far from good:
    • Those Outer Banks stickers on the sides look downright cheap
    • Up close the LED headlights look quite plasticky
    • Those side steps look like something generic out of a JC Whitneys catalog
    • Those wheels and tires...ugh, seriously...? They look like they were lifted off a Subaru or a Honda "truck"
    • The engine bay is a mess of hoses, exposed wires and electrical tape, like every other Ford I have seen
Ford has launched a number of vehicles in recent years that looked awesome on my computer screen, but when I got a chance a poke my head inside the actual vehicle and touch things, there was a general feeling of cheapness and let down.

My guess is with this Bronco it has tried harder than usual but, judging by this video, Ford's infamous cost-cutting is still going to come through.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is the closeup I was talking about: the detail on those headlights reveals the cheap plastics.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620266963024

By contrast, FCA shows a lot more attention to detail on JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620267345442

Last edited:

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Joe Raiti uploaded a video of a Bronco Outer Banks a couple weeks ago. This is the closest I have seen Bronco so far.

The Good:
  1. If the steel bumpers are standard, that'd be a big plus
  2. The overhead auxiliary switches look very cool
  3. That 10-speed auto should work very well. It has received rave reviews on Ranger
  4. The interior looks modern and spacious, albeit a bit gray and generic
The Bad:
  1. The soft top and side curtains show a lot of slack. Ford likely did this to make soft top easier to handle, but results in a sloppy look and, likely, a lot of wind buffeting on the highway
  2. In typical Ford fashion, the details look good from far but are far from good:
    • Those Outer Banks stickers on the sides look downright cheap
    • Up close the LED headlights look quite plasticky
    • Those side steps look like something generic out of a JC Whitneys catalog
    • Those wheels and tires...ugh, seriously...? They look like they were lifted off a Subaru or a Honda "truck"
    • The engine bay is a mess of hoses, exposed wires and electrical tape, like every other Ford I have seen
Ford has launched a number of vehicles in recent years that looked awesome on my computer screen, but when I got a chance a poke my head inside the actual vehicle and touch things, there was a general feeling of cheapness and let down.

My guess is with this Bronco it has tried harder than usual but, judging by this video, Ford's infamous cost-cutting is still going to come through.

The 4-door is just plain UGLY! (And no better in person-saw 2 different 4-doors at Barrett Jackson last month)

The 2-door however (at least in pictures, not yet seen one in person) looks damm good!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is a typical JL engine bay
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620267788786

This is Bronco's engine bay...!
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620267583485

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
This is a typical JL engine bay

This is Bronco's engine bay...!
If you want a big molded plastic cover like Jeep Iā€™m sure someone could get that for you.
Sponsored