lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I think I'm the use case for a 4xe. It would be my daily driver, a Rubicon has more than enough capability for what I do, and I like the option of electric or gas with the artificial shortages and price gouging they like to do with fuel. If I had 'tesla as a second car money', the 4xe wouldn't make sense lol.
We have has a Model S Tesla for 7 years now, My 2018 JL 3 years old only has 7000 miles simply because we drive the tesla due to fuel cost, we will not drive the 4xe way more then the JL (which we still have (giving to son). We rarely drove more than 30 miles in a day so the 4xe will be comperable to our Tesla in terms of economy.
Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
It should have always been more expensive - the initial release was a "special pricing" and I think we're seeing the "actual" price now. A comparatively equipped regular JL was practically the same price as the 4xe until now. Now there's about a $2k-2.5k premium over the regular, which in reality makes sense.
Is it a premium though?

To get the JL rubicon with the same features as the 4xe Rubicon comes with standard you'd pay:
  • 42475 base
  • 1495 destination fee
  • 1995 Premium Audio Group/8.4in Uconnect
  • 1500 8 speed automaticRE Transmission
  • 695 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy Duty Transfer Case
  • 1365 LED Lighting Group
So you're sitting at 49525 msrp on a 2.0T wrangler. Compared to the current 'base' price of the 4xe rubicon of 53,190. A difference of 3665$. If you choose the manual v6 you save another 1500$, so the premium becomes 5165.

With a 2500$ base price increase, the difference is now 7665. So after the tax credit, it's a premium of $165 to get all the HP and Torque if your state offers no incentives. If you wanted to have an auto transmission, you're instead saving 1335$ by going with the 4xe.

Now as for longer term purchases, this changes when it becomes a trade off if you're looking at heavily loaded wranglers. With the old pricing, you'd have a full year after stellantis hits 200k vehicles to still come out ahead (because you get another 6 months of buy time with 50% tax credit) whereas now you 'need' to buy within six months of stellantis hitting 200k to come out ahead, with another 6 months being closer to similar if you want an automatic transmission.

The sahara version is basically the same price difference.

Of course, if you were going to aftermarket everything and didn't want the transfer case, the premium audio or LED lights, then you're being 'forced' to pay for features.

That’s ok the folks that buy 4XE’s are really good at math and will still think it is cheaper.
I've never been so offended by a comment that I absolutely agree with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Is it a premium though?

To get the JL rubicon with the same features as the 4xe Rubicon comes with standard you'd pay:
  • 42475 base
  • 1495 destination fee
  • 1995 Premium Audio Group/8.4in Uconnect
  • 1500 8 speed automaticRE Transmission
  • 695 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy Duty Transfer Case
  • 1365 LED Lighting Group
So you're sitting at 49525 msrp on a 2.0T wrangler. Compared to the current 'base' price of the 4xe rubicon of 53,190. A difference of 3665$. If you choose the manual v6 you save another 1500$, so the premium becomes 5165.

With a 2500$ base price increase, the difference is now 7665. Or a premium of 165 if your state offers no incentives. If you wanted to have an auto transmission, you're instead saving 1335$ by going with the 4xe.

With the old pricing, you'd have a full year after stellantis hits 200k vehicles to still come out ahead (because you get another 6 months of buy time with 50% tax credit) whereas now you 'need' to buy within six months of stellantis hitting 200k to come out ahead, with another 6 months being closer to similar if you want an automatic transmission.

The sahara version is pretty similar iirc.

Of course, if you were going to aftermarket everything and didn't want the transfer case, the premium audio or LED lights, then you're being 'forced' to pay for features.

I've never been so offended by a comment that I absolutely agree with.

Your math is missing the $7500 Tax Credit (and in many states additional rebates and credits) You are also getting a More capable machine (that as value) So even with your elementary math it is near a wash after incentives and to thing the other models are not going to get increases in the volatile economy would be foolish to say the least. Mow compare the lease cost the 4xe is a easy win. You simply have to factor in the performance value of the EV that is no where near achievable without the EV. Myself Our the door after Tac Credit on a pre price increase $61K MSRP I am $47K for a Loaded PHEV Rubicon. Even at $2K more I see the value. Yes it may be a wash for a standard Rubicon after all the incentives for the 4xe but we are NOT comparing apples to apples. which is missing from your math.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
I dunno guys. On Jeep.com configuring a V6 with stickshift the exact way I'd want it comes in at 52.9k fully optioned.

No worries about waiting for lift kits and aftermarket parts...

No worries about the insanely heavy 4xe overtaxing the axles on 37" tires...

Around town, or on any road trip that doesn't involve towing or wheeling, I can still drive my Tesla.

They're not making it easy to pick the 4xe.
It was pretty easy for me...

- Significantly more HP and torque
- Off-roading in silence
- Can use electric or ICE when I choose
- Reduced spend on gas
- $7500 tax credit

The manual stick is the main thing I really miss.

That said, I would like the 392 if the price differential with tax credit was not so large. Also no stick option though.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Your math is missing the $7500 Tax Credit (and in many states additional rebates and credits) You are also getting a More capable machine (that as value) So even with your elementary math it is near a wash after incentives and to thing the other models are not going to get increases in the volatile economy would be foolish to say the least. Mow compare the lease cost the 4xe is a easy win. You simply have to factor in the performance value of the EV that is no where near achievable without the EV. Myself Our the door after Tac Credit on a pre price increase $61K MSRP I am $47K for a Loaded PHEV Rubicon. Even at $2K more I see the value. Yes it may be a wash for a standard Rubicon after all the incentives for the 4xe but we are NOT comparing apples to apples. which is missing from your math.

No you're misunderstanding what I wrote.

With a 2500$ base price increase, the difference is now 7665. Or a premium of 165 if your state offers no incentives. If you wanted to have an auto transmission, you're instead saving 1335$ by going with the 4xe.
The total MSRP difference between the rubicon and 4xe with identical features (Except for the engine) is 7665 if you get a manual transmission, or 6165 if you get the 2.0 liter turbo.

I pointed that out to show that if you compare apples to apples and think that the 4xe is an 'overpriced feature' that you're paying a premium for, you aren't actually paying a premium, because the overall msrp difference is less than the 7500 tax credit. I figured that was a given.

It's currently a better price and after the price change there's a small subsection of people who want a rubicon but want one with no features and/or a manual transmission pentastar where the 4xe actually has a significant price difference.

With the old pricing, you'd have a full year after stellantis hits 200k vehicles to still come out ahead (because you get another 6 months of buy time with 50% tax credit) whereas now you 'need' to buy within six months of stellantis hitting 200k to come out ahead, with another 6 months being closer to similar if you want an automatic transmission.
There are people who this vehicle's performance won't outweigh the downsides (extra weight and complicated electronics), and those people are fine to prefer a regular rubicon. But for us math-folks, the 4xe is a better priced, higher performance engine that isn't available without premium trims/features.

Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Just got my sticker and the base price is listed as $1,810 more now than what it was when I ordered on 3/19. I am price protected according to my dealer. Hopefully I’m picking it up by sometime next week.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Just got my sticker and the base price is listed as $1,810 more now than what it was when I ordered on 3/19. I am price protected according to my dealer. Hopefully I’m picking it up by sometime next week.
That's a bit scary. The sticker is basically how the factory invoices the dealer so that means someone is going to take a loss on the books somewhere. If that's a good dealer then they'll eat it and won't pass it down to you

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Strange. I ordered mine on 4/16 (it's built and being shipped). My window sticker matches the order from my dealer which was before the $1810 price increase.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Strange. I ordered mine on 4/16 (it's built and being shipped). My window sticker matches the order from my dealer which was before the $1810 price increase.
Good to know! I'll have to let me dealer know this if they try to go back on the agreement. I don't anticipate any issues, they have been great so far. But you never know...

Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
First off there are NO incentive on Wranglers to take back this is simply a base price increase (there are Never Wrangler incentives anyway). This year alone the cost of manufacturing, Steel, Plastics, semiconductors, cost of shipping has all skyrocketed. Just about every industry in North America has raised prices, is raising prices or contemplating price increases. Inflation is here . Yo may not like it or the timing but is is the cost of business, someone has to pay the higher cost and a for profit company that has to answer to investors everyday including Sundays would likely make these same decisions.

Also I would not wait and plan on Tax Credits being available much longer I know the moderate Dems like the Tax Credit but the far left is screaming that these tax credits on benefit the rich. I know some think it may be extended or even increased but I have to believe the WOKE will win out and these will be gone or greatly diminished. regardless pricing is volatile on everything today.
Where in my post did I say the wrangler has incentives?? Go ahead, I’ll wait…. Thought so. No need to get snippy when you’re not even reading the posts and can correctly read through mine. To summarize:

FIRST OFF - Sold order protection box, it locks in the current cost of vehicle and prevents you from paying more. Case in point, this 2k price increase. As some have already said, they spoke to their dealer and the dealer is honoring the original price, or they’ve checked the window sticker and the MSRP reflects the agreed upon price at time of order. I’d bet that’s because they checked the box. Otherwise why the fuck else would the dealer be nice enough not to jack up the price? As you said, cost of business right??

SECOND OFF - I said the incentive I got was on my JT, that’s a gladiator bubba. Wranglers have had incentives though far less common, and often times the military incentive for example is valid on certain trims and comes and goes around the US holidays. I was merely taking the opportunity to point out a little known fact to help out anyone who has yet to make a Jeep purchase.

Mic drop here lol

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
That's a bit scary. The sticker is basically how the factory invoices the dealer so that means someone is going to take a loss on the books somewhere. If that's a good dealer then they'll eat it and won't pass it down to you
Yeah that’s not good. Dealer messed up on that one. It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out. If they are willing to eat the cost it’s probably one of the dealers that tacks on 3k in bullshit no one wants that cost them only a few hundred.

This is how it‘s supposed to work, the window sticker pricing should match up.

Bear95

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 X3, 2014 M235i
I ordered mine on 4/19. Got sticker today and it shows $1810 increase.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Hi all. Does anyone have the new base MSRP and Invoice numbers for the 4xe Rubicon handy? I know the ballpark based on previous posts, but was hoping I could find out the exact numbers. It's weird not being able to just pull them from the order guide.

Thanks!

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hi all. Does anyone have the new base MSRP and Invoice numbers for the 4xe Rubicon handy? I know the ballpark based on previous posts, but was hoping I could find out the exact numbers. It's weird not being able to just pull them from the order guide.

Thanks!
There's a excel sheet someone posted on here that has all the invoice prices. Although that was before the increase.
Sponsored