Has anyone hauled 8ft lumber in their JL 4dr

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Not sure if there is an existing thread on this, if so please point me there.
Looking to make a Home Depot run and pick up some lumber and was wondering if anyone has had success hauling various 8 ft lumber pieces inside their 4 dr JL.

Looking to pick up:
a couple 1x12 - 8' Cedar
a couple 1x6 - 8' Cedar

Curious if anyone has hauled 8ft lumber inside their JL without a trailer/rack.. any tips or pictures of anyone's experience carrying lumber within the JL?

Thanks
Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
Time for a roof rack, you know you want one.

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have. i just had them sticking out over the tailgate. i laid a towel down so it didnt scratch up the paint.
I'll give it a shot, i removed the front passenger headrest, and laid the passenger seat down and was able to create 8 ft of space.. so was going to see how much I can get away with without having to stick it out the rear window. Will see how this goes.. but I'm thinking anything more than a couple pieces I'll need to transport it sticking out with the rear window open.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I'll give it a shot, i removed the front passenger headrest, and laid the passenger seat down and was able to create 8 ft of space.. so was going to see how much I can get away with without having to stick it out the rear window. Will see how this goes.. but I'm thinking anything more than a couple pieces I'll need to transport it sticking out with the rear window open.
you can also remove a freedom panel and have it sticking up on the passenger side,. start at the footwel and go up. depending how far you have to drive of course lol

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
i have. i just had them sticking out over the tailgate. i laid a towel down so it didnt scratch up the paint.
Second this, except I wrap the lumber with the towel so they don't bounce around. Also use some rope or bungees around the lot and down to the tie downs. Remember to tie a red or safety-orange bandana to the end.

Sponsored

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Awesomeness!
Worked out pretty well. If you end up needing to go this route just do what some of the others have stated. Towel(s) on the tailgate. I used a tie down to wrap the wood bundles then hooked into anchors on the opposite side pulling it tight up against the spare tire. About a 10 mile drive for me to get home and it worked great.

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worked out pretty well. If you end up needing to go this route just do what some of the others have stated. Towel(s) on the tailgate. I used a tie down to wrap the wood bundles then hooked into anchors on the opposite side pulling it tight up against the spare tire. About a 10 mile drive for me to get home and it worked great.
Awesome, thanks guys. Great advice. This gives me confidence to try it myself.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I ran a couple of 16 footers all the way to the dash - that was a little dicey but I'm only 5 minutes from Lowe's so was able to make it work. you can also use the floor mat upside down to protect the paint on the tailgate.