Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I’m happy I could contribute!
When I seen that my first thought was Why TF didn't I think of that. 👍👍👍 I've been dragging a high output portable one for last 20 plus years 🤯
My XJ I converted the AC to onboard air but still kept one for things I didn't want to injection oil in too.
Sponsored

DaveC001

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0 Diesel JLU
Thanks, I just wanted it out of the way and weather. I've made a few minor changes, I'm looking for a small auto rewind reel to mount on the right.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Picking one is driving me nuts. The ARB dual is the easy choice. But, as much as I don't mind paying for quality, I know with ARB some of it is paying for the name. I saw a Currie video on the Viair and down the rabbit hole I went. I found three contenders that are less than half of the ARB. I know Viair, and the other two were related finds. The middle one, Klienn is submersible. The last one, Vixen, price and specs look too good to be true. The ORV park I go to most has on site air...so I don't need it all the time. Makes me want to take a gamble.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQ78W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVQIFCE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015QCP25Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2KTLUJEJBW8GS&psc=1

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I use the SmittyBilt 2781, and so do a lot people I know. It is pretty fast and a good price.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted something portable and liked the ARB compressors, so I purchased the ARB CKMP12. Only used it in the driveway, but it seems to work well enough for my needs. https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-Performance-Portable-Compressor/dp/B004P9A35E

713IN%2BoyTsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
+1 for this.
I've been using mine for 2+ years now without issue.
Yup, I have had that same one for almost 3 years and have had zero issues. I use it for my Raptor. The only real downside is that it takes a good while to air up 35s. I’d say you’re looking at 4 minutes per tire. I have a dual ARB in my Jeep and, as you’d expect, It takes about half the time to air up 35s. That said, I’m buying a 15lb Powertank

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
If you have the trailer group, consider this. The 400/400p run on 30A. You can do this so you don’t have to pop the hood to air up. It is a 30A line to the 7 pin connector.
0260495F-82C6-4C3B-9AD6-B84A52FA4A93.jpeg
That's brilliant. I just bought the ARB portable (wanted it to be, umm portable rather than mounted just yet) and I believe it takes 25 amps (ARB website). I really like this idea here... but I have a couple questions being woefully inexperienced with such toys:
1. Is the trailer socket always hot when the vehicle is running? Vehicle off? (yeah... too lazy to run down to the apt garage to check because I'd probably meter the wrong things anyway; pathetic, but...)
2. Supposing I wanted to keep the battery clamp option in play (in case of helping someone else where I can't pull up my Jeep close enough), what type of connector(s) could I use on the leads to make the end swap-able between the tow plug and a rigged pair of clamps? I.e. what connector can handle that current and be a nice convenient quick-connect?
3. This seems too clean and cool... what's the catch? Am I missing something?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
That's brilliant. I just bought the ARB portable (wanted it to be, umm portable rather than mounted just yet) and I believe it takes 25 amps (ARB website). I really like this idea here... but I have a couple questions being woefully inexperienced with such toys:
1. Is the trailer socket always hot when the vehicle is running? Vehicle off? (yeah... too lazy to run down to the apt garage to check because I'd probably meter the wrong things anyway; pathetic, but...)
2. Supposing I wanted to keep the battery clamp option in play (in case of helping someone else where I can't pull up my Jeep close enough), what type of connector(s) could I use on the leads to make the end swap-able between the tow plug and a rigged pair of clamps? I.e. what connector can handle that current and be a nice convenient quick-connect?
3. This seems too clean and cool... what's the catch? Am I missing something?
1- The trailer plug is only hot when the vehicle is on.
2-You can buy the vehicle side adapter and wire the batter clamps to it, then you can just plug the battery clamps back into the compressor when you want. I’d consider wiring it to the battery instead so you have a 30A line under the hood. Bonus points if you find a better distro point like an aux connector under the hood.
3- the catch is you’re sacrificing a bit of voltage by running to the rear, and limited to 30A. I don’t think you’ll notice the voltage drop, but it is there. The 30A limit means the compressor only has about 360W to work with. A 40A limit would give a ceiling around 480W. Not an issue since you have a 25A compressor.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Almost two years and I have gotten a lot of use out of a ARB twin hard mounted (M.O.R.E.) behind drivers seat. A must for 37" tires and with 100% duty cycle, blowing trail dust out of interior or air filters is a bonus. Someday I may get arounfd to mounting a small tank where the suitcase sized muffler use to live.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Almost two years and I have gotten a lot of use out of a ARB twin hard mounted (M.O.R.E.) behind drivers seat. A must for 37" tires and with 100% duty cycle, blowing trail dust out of interior or air filters is a bonus. Someday I may get arounfd to mounting a small tank where the suitcase sized muffler use to live.
I recently swapped out the factory exhaust, so no longer have the trash can hanging out back. Was thinking of installing 2 of the arb aluminum tanks under there. They look about the size of a 5lb extinguisher, so they wouldn't hang anywhere near as low and in danger of getting hit.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1- The trailer plug is only hot when the vehicle is on.
2-You can buy the vehicle side adapter and wire the batter clamps to it, then you can just plug the battery clamps back into the compressor when you want. I’d consider wiring it to the battery instead so you have a 30A line under the hood. Bonus points if you find a better distro point like an aux connector under the hood.
3- the catch is you’re sacrificing a bit of voltage by running to the rear, and limited to 30A. I don’t think you’ll notice the voltage drop, but it is there. The 30A limit means the compressor only has about 360W to work with. A 40A limit would give a ceiling around 480W. Not an issue since you have a 25A compressor.
Thanks for the reply! I am likely over-thinking things, really... I'll reconsider if I actually get a chance to start using the silly thing, and then I can see what my reality is vs. over-contemplating it. 🙄

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Thanks for the reply! I am likely over-thinking things, really... I'll reconsider if I actually get a chance to start using the silly thing, and then I can see what my reality is vs. over-contemplating it. 🙄
Totally anecdotal, but of my 2 group runs people that had to hook up to their battery looked a bit jealous. I was still jealous of the guy with the powertank though. Last time, someone fused their compressor wire by accidentally shorting from the positive clip to the frame. The plug setup avoids that. Luckily he was next to me so I could help air him up.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Was thinking of installing 2 of the arb aluminum tanks under there
Lots of possibilities with air tanks. I remember reading about a firefighter JK owner who added a compressor, filled up his bumper with water, connected it to his compressor and was able to have a small scale, high pressure water system available to use for anything.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of possibilities with air tanks. I remember reading about a firefighter JK owner who added a compressor, filled up his bumper with water, connected it to his compressor and was able to have a small scale, high pressure water system available to use for anything.
That's a cool idea. I wonder how many t-shirts worth of water it held? ;)

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally anecdotal, but of my 2 group runs people that had to hook up to their battery looked a bit jealous. I was still jealous of the guy with the powertank though. Last time, someone fused their compressor wire by accidentally shorting from the positive clip to the frame. The plug setup avoids that. Luckily he was next to me so I could help air him up.
OK... so I went to hook the thing up again to answer a separate question on another forum topic... I almost broke the hood brace stowage clip, smacked my head on the hood getting pissed at that, and then almost dropped the compressor as I was futzing with the cables.

Other than being a putz at life, apparently 🙄 , it convinced me to:
a) buy the Redline hood pistons; and
b) rig the trailer plug on the compressor.

Thanks for the idea and the encouragement!! :beer::beer:

UPDATE: Installed both the Redline struts and the trailer plug this evening. Now we'll see if I can burn down my Jeep instead of just bumping my head. 🤣
Sponsored

Last edited: