Help! My wife HATES my new Jeep!

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Yes, you are crazy. Go sit in a TJ, then in your JL. You’ll find that what you’re remembering from 20 years ago isn’t reality.
Yeah, as we get bigger things seem smaller lol. I feel there was more room in my JK than my TJ and more room in my JL than my JK.
Sponsored

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I do agree that it's kind of tight and boxed in. My Ford F150 is much more roomy in the extreme. Going back and forth a few times, however, I think they've done a good job of engineering the space. Yes, it is cramped, but I don't actually notice or care while driving it. What space there is lies in the right places for me. Anything I'm giving up in leg room, I'm gaining in how easy it is to park this thing.

It may help that the Mack Anthem I drive is even more cramped than the Jeep, even though it's a honking big road tractor with the driver's seat four feet off the ground. My left knee constantly bangs the door in the Mack, but the Jeep doesn't have any crap sticking out of the side of the door in that area, so the Jeep wins that one. If I could pull a 54,000 lb. trailer with the Jeep...... :LOL:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Retirement Edition a new Wrangler trim?

I haven’t seen the press release!

😫
Hey, I'm not that old. Just able to retire early. :swear: :swear: LOL !!! The retirement reason for New Rubicon sounded good at the time. :rock: She said I earned it. ;)

Mug.jpg

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I read somewhere that a standard transmission is actually a 'Millenial Anti-Theft Device'.
Funny you say that. I was a victim of a failed carjacking a few years ago in my 2006 manual BMW 530xi. I left the car running while I was pumping gas (never again).

While I was on the other side of the car pumping, the young thug jumped out of the passenger side of the car the assailants were in. He jumped in my car and tried to pull off. Of course I'm assuming he didn't expect a manual.

The car revved up but didn't go anywhere. He then jumped back in the getaway car and they sped off. It all took place in 5 seconds or less.

Having a stick saved me from a car jacking.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
She hates your Jeep? Are you sure it wasn’t the aluminum foil, cage trap, moth balls or fox urine that you left on the passenger seat that is the real reason she’s avoiding it?

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
In 2010, my wife said she wanted a Jeep. I tried to talk her out of it because she likes her vehicles to be rattle free. Our 3 grown sons told her she’d hate it for the same reason. She persisted so I had a brilliant idea—go to carmax and test drive a 3 year old one and that would convince her. Drove a 2007, and wow was I surprised! Tight as a drum. We got her a brand new 2dr JK within a week.

6 Jeeps and 10 years later, she’s driving a 2020 JLU Rubicon. Recently she asked me if I loved weekends, and I said sure but why? She said “because you get to drive the Rubi”.

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
As some who went from a LJ to a JKU to a JLU the JL definitely has more room than a TJ/LJ

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
My wife of 36 years hates every vehicle I love. The simple solution is she buys what she wants and I buy what I want.

Hunter
Same here. She can drive what she wants and I drive what I want.
BTW, nobody drives my vehicle but me. That is another rule in our family.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
When I met my future wife years ago she was driving a rather bare and stock TJ. I'm talking no AC, soft top, and zipper half door windows. She was at the end of her line without AC so we traded cars for the summer and I was hooked. First Jeep, first manual transmission. Four months later she wanted to sell it for a regular car and since I was broke, off it went.

Twenty years later I finally bought my first Jeep, custom ordered, a 21 JLUR. As much as I wanted the 2 door I have kids and this needed to be a daily driver and 2nd as my off-road play toy. My wife hates it as much as I love it. There is zero room in the driver and passenger seats. It's so boxed in. Neither of us remember her old TJ being so tight. I know this isn't a Cadillac or fancy sports car but good grief Jeep didn't give us much room, especially in the foot well. She doesn't ever want to ride in the Jeep and complains like crazy when she has to.

Are there others out there with spouses who hate as much as you love your rig? Am I crazy or is there just not a lot of room?
"Hello Volvo, yes, high, can your Lounge Console be made to fit in a Wrangler?"

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! My wife HATES my new Jeep! 1619993720776

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. She can drive what she wants and I drive what I want.
BTW, nobody drives my vehicle but me. That is another rule in our family.
YES !!! Rule of LAW. My Jeep Don't touch. I need to find one of these that says Don't touch my Jeep.

20210502_172141.jpg

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
You could.... Either on a flat surface or a slight decline. Stopping would be a little difficult.
This made me flash back to the time I tried to drop a trailer on an extreme incline, because there were no open docks for me to drop the trailer I brought in, and I had to shuffle things. I unhooked, and about half a second later, I was hooked back up. It slid down the hill with the brakes locked, and the landing gear feet down. It was empty. That's kind of like how pulling a 54,000 lb. trailer with a Jeep would be. You don't pull the trailer, the trailer pushes you.

As far as that goes though, back when I used to haul gasoline, I got stuck out in the boonies in a situation turning up a steep hill where I had two drive tires off the ground. The shop came to the rescue with the road service truck, and pulled me far enough to get going. Later on, I was telling my mechanic buddy all about why I needed the V8 in my F150, and he said, "Bullshit! You've driven the shop truck, right? Go look under the hood." It was the stock V6.

Just back of the envelope at a glance, it looks like the 3.6 Pentastar is a better engine, and that base Ford V6 did pull a fully loaded 80,000 truck part of the way up a hill. The Jeep probably could pull that a short distance. Especially in 4 low.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!