Sponsored

JLU Willys 37s no lift.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Had planned on running 35s, but ran across a deal on 5 used toyo open country 37s for a steal, figured I'd give it a shot. Stock height, no lift no rubi takeoffs. 2 inch wheel spacers and flat fenders with inners.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. 20210427_184231

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. 20210427_184336

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. 20210428_151408

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. 20210428_151419

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. 20210428_160337

The guys at discount tire thought I was insane when I told them I wanted 37s on a non lifted willys. Turns out, they fit fine. No rubbing, can turn lock to lock with no issues. Obviously flex is reduced, but if the rancho 9000 2.5 lift kits ever go back in stock that'll be an easy fix. So, for those wondering how big you can run on a sport S/ Sahara/ willys with no lift, the answer is 37s if you are willing to get flat fenders and spacers or aftermarket wheels.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You have the AT or 6spd? I'd imagine it's a bit sluggish now, but I guess it depends what you're wanting to run. Those Toyos are a nice tire for sure though.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
You have the AT or 6spd? I'd imagine it's a bit sluggish now, but I guess it depends what you're wanting to run. Those Toyos are a nice tire for sure though.
Honestly man, it's not even bad at all. I have the AT. I've spent to much time researching, when I was wanting to lift to run 35s, I researched what do I need besides the lift kit, what are common break items etc. When I found out I was getting 37s I immediately started pouring over gearing options, axle upgrades. Then I decided screw it, let's put then on and just see how it goes, upgrade as I go when I determine for myself what needs upgraded. Gearing with the 37s, even these extremely heavy toyos, is not an issue whatsoever. It's noticeable, but its not doom and gloom like what is preached. My buddy has a JK Sahara on 33s with the 3.8 auto and stock gearing, I'm still faster than him even accelerating at 70mph.

One thing I will say is that I don't do rock climbing in my jeep. Everything I do is backwoods trails and mud. I own land, and on the factory tires about half of my property I couldn't run in stock form because I have a creek that splits my property and I got tired of wrenching myself through it. Its about a 5 ft drop into shallow water and deep mud, then a muddy 5 ft climb back out. Tried it yesterday, climbed through and up the other side with no issues.

I am now pretty sure that I am not going to regear after running my trails and putting around 300 highway miles on these tires. I will likely still lift it, even though I have plenty of flex for my trails and I didn't rub once.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Looks good, what fenders are you using?

Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Are you concerned with having no turn signals on the front?
I was initially, but you can actually see them front the front, just not extremely well. From the side they are very visible. Had them for a few months, so far haven't been pulled over.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was initially, but you can actually see them front the front, just not extremely well. From the side they are very visible. Had them for a few months, so far haven't been pulled over.
You could always get fogs with amber switchback halos , I have them on mine & work well (pic before I got my high fender set)
And 2nd pic for side markers
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. IMG_0360.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. IMG_0415.JPG

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
You could always get fogs with amber switchback halos , I have them on mine & work well (pic before I got my high fender set)
And 2nd pic for side markers

Which fogs are those?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Very nice, I'm tempted to move to 37's in the future but plan on doing a truss, axle shafts, and re-gear first...maybe brakes too. 3.45 has been ok for the 35's but I imagine it'll be a dog on 37's.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Very nice, I'm tempted to move to 37's in the future but plan on doing a truss, axle shafts, and re-gear first...maybe brakes too. 3.45 has been ok for the 35's but I imagine it'll be a dog on 37's.
You may be surprised actually. I just did some 0-60 runs timing with the TazerJL, and the fastest I saw (when I could get it to launch without spinning the tires) was 8.7. That's a little slow compared to stock

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. SmartSelect_20210429-183934_Firefox

Not much slower honestly. But then compare that to the early JKs

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Willys 37s no lift. SmartSelect_20210429-184006_Firefox

The JKs were slow, but I never recall anybody thinking they were undrivable in stock form.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
2k mile update on the 37s. Nothing really negative to say. The toyos are a bit louder than the destinations that came off, but I had expected that. The tire weight is somewhat noticeable (these are after all some of the heaviest 37s on the market). Mostly just when hitting big bumps and off road, on road driving is relatively similar. Jeep so far hasn't complained about the tires. I've settled on 30 PSI cold. I've lost about 1 months according to the dash calculator, but since I spend 80 or so miles a day running 80 mph+, my mileage was terrible anyway. Went from about 17 mpg flat to around 16.2. Rides a little better than stock. I think the taller sidewall gives a little more making the ride more cushy. Tons of positive feedback out and about, people seem to loose their minds over 37s that don't rub on a non lifted jeep, and everybody seems to love the stance. I had initially planned to regear in the future, however have decided against it. No need. However, I will eventually stick a rubi d44 front axle in it, and so I'll regear the rear to 4.11 to match the fronts at that point. I do still plan to lift, probably 2.5 inches. Not because I've needed it, but incase I need it down the road. I also plan on more gear later on such as roof top tent compressor etc, and so lifting to compensate for the weight will probably prove a wise decision.

Stl_JLU

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler High Altitude
2k mile update on the 37s. Nothing really negative to say. The toyos are a bit louder than the destinations that came off, but I had expected that. The tire weight is somewhat noticeable (these are after all some of the heaviest 37s on the market). Mostly just when hitting big bumps and off road, on road driving is relatively similar. Jeep so far hasn't complained about the tires. I've settled on 30 PSI cold. I've lost about 1 months according to the dash calculator, but since I spend 80 or so miles a day running 80 mph+, my mileage was terrible anyway. Went from about 17 mpg flat to around 16.2. Rides a little better than stock. I think the taller sidewall gives a little more making the ride more cushy. Tons of positive feedback out and about, people seem to loose their minds over 37s that don't rub on a non lifted jeep, and everybody seems to love the stance. I had initially planned to regear in the future, however have decided against it. No need. However, I will eventually stick a rubi d44 front axle in it, and so I'll regear the rear to 4.11 to match the fronts at that point. I do still plan to lift, probably 2.5 inches. Not because I've needed it, but incase I need it down the road. I also plan on more gear later on such as roof top tent compressor etc, and so lifting to compensate for the weight will probably prove a wise decision.
Thanks for posting and thanks for the update. I have a stock Sahara and put 33x12.50R18 with fuel wheels -12 offset on. I think the tires look too small, really want 35s but don’t really want to lift. I have seen other forum posts and content on the internet saying 35s will fit but I’ve contacted every local shop and I’ve been repeatedly told I can’t do 35s. So I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet but still wanting to do 35s on a stock Sahara

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Thanks for posting and thanks for the update. I have a stock Sahara and put 33x12.50R18 with fuel wheels -12 offset on. I think the tires look too small, really want 35s but don’t really want to lift. I have seen other forum posts and content on the internet saying 35s will fit but I’ve contacted every local shop and I’ve been repeatedly told I can’t do 35s. So I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet but still wanting to do 35s on a stock Sahara
-12 offset, you may be able to run 35s no lift. You may need to modify the inner fenders, or maybe pick up some aftermarket ones that give more clearance. Obviously 37s are possible no lift, but you'd need flat fenders to fit them.
Sponsored