Sponsored

Car and Driver In-Depth review

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I highly, highly doubt that.

Much more likely to be differences between the ride different people are accustomed to.
If that was the case, the steering and handling wouldnt have been universally praised by every journalist who drove one, as well as Car and Driver who are notoriously hard on the Wrangler.

I'm not buying it. I think there are variables at play here. Could be overinflated tires, could be worse suspensions on sports, but if a person thinks the JL steering sucks its not the JL at this point, somethings off with the particular JL they are driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I'm going to make a guess:

The people who claim its the best driving are driving Saharas or Rubicons

The people claiming the worst are driving Sports

I am guessing the better suspension components is having more to do with it this year than past years, and there is a big delta between the sports and S/R.
lol :cwl:

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
lol :cwl:
So do you have a better explanation as to why the JL has been universally praised by car magazines and reviewers, even those that hate wranglers of the past?

NOTE:
In this just released CandD article, the reviewer states the new JL handles much better than a G Wagen. He later gushes over how the new Jeep is a revolution on road, and overcomes all steering concerns of the past.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/we-drive-awesome-jeep-concepts-in-moab

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
So do you have a better explanation as to why the JL has been universally praised by car magazines and reviewers, even those that hate wranglers of the past?
I am not disagreeing with your premise that the JL might be better, but we have to remember that these reviews are entirely subjective.

Unless both vehicles are reviewed by the same person at the same time so that the reviewer's prior experiences impact equally on both vehicles, there is going to be some subjective disparity. If it is the same person that reviewed the JK years earlier, then as he aged, maybe his tastes and what he looks for in a vehicle has changed.

And let's not forget the concept of a blind test so that a vehicle with better cosmetics doesn't get rated higher than it deserves.

Last edited:

BamaJL

First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2014 Wrangler JK Sport S
My take is entirely anecdotal but I feel like it is a much better driving experience than my JK, and mine is a Sport S. My wife agrees and looks forward to riding in the JL. She was never as enthusiastic about a trip in the JK.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
My 2 cents, as a non-JK owner but recently haven taken delivery of a JLUR; the JL does not drive like a car. The key point is, do I find it acceptable, the answer is yes. I will play around with the tire pressure to see if I can improve things, but again, it is acceptable. I think a second important consideration is how will the JL be used. My JLUR is fine around town, it’s only when I’m driving above about 45 or 50 MPH, on a straight road, does the lack of steering precision become noticeable. New JL buyer’s are coming from all different backgrounds, I’ve been driving a 2011 X3 and have a sports car as a toy so I’m a discerning individual where handling is concerned and find the JLUR to be livable for my purposes. My commute is all back roads and I’ll use the Jeep for winter driving and at our summer place. I wouldn’t want it if I did mostly highway driving, but I’m spoiled and I don’t need to.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Ok so here's an update: I went back to the dealership and drove 2 more JLUs. That's a total of 3 different JLUs. ALL of them had the same issue...wondering all over the road, dead steering feel, no return to center programmed in, constant input required in the steering wheel to keep it in the lane. Just an AWFUL experience. Two of the JLUs had Michelin LTX tires, and one had Bridgestone HT tires. I verified that the tire pressures were to spec. One JLU had the soft top, two had the hard top. This is clearly not a tire or suspension issue. This problem originates in the steering system itself.

I ended up doing a deal on the JLU with hardtop and Bridgestone tires, but I hope that a software update or something happens to address the handling issue pretty soon.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Ok so here's an update: I went back to the dealership and drove 2 more JLUs. That's a total of 3 different JLUs. ALL of them had the same issue...wondering all over the road, dead steering feel, no return to center programmed in, constant input required in the steering wheel to keep it in the lane. Just an AWFUL experience. Two of the JLUs had Michelin LTX tires, and one had Bridgestone HT tires. I verified that the tire pressures were to spec. One JLU had the soft top, two had the hard top. This is clearly not a tire or suspension issue. This problem originates in the steering system itself.

I ended up doing a deal on the JLU with hardtop and Bridgestone tires, but I hope that a software update or something happens to address the handling issue pretty soon.
Mine handles fine. Was a bit bumpy when I picked it up but they had the tire pressure to 41 psi. Runs way better at 37 psi. I don't have any steering or suspension issues that you describe.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Is it possible that this could be something that gets better with time as the steering gets "broken in"? Right now it's a two hand affair, especially on two lane highways. If I'm not paying total attention, it'll cross the line in a hurry. One thing about it, these JLUs that I've been testing promote safe driving!

It's interesting that they used a hybrid hydraulic/electric system. I've never seen that before.

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
I have had none of the issues you describe with my sport s. 2 miles on the clock when I drove it the first time. I can steer with one hand at 9 o'clock with arm on the door at any speed, even interstate speed.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I have had none of the issues you describe with my sport s. 2 miles on the clock when I drove it the first time. I can steer with one hand at 9 o'clock with arm on the door at any speed, even interstate speed.
And even wave with your free hand to the other Jeeps

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
It's definitely interesting how it's 50/50. Half of guys on the forums haven't noticed it. The other half noticed it immediately.

I had a 1992 YJ that handled better than this thing.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the JLU overall. My list of complaints is very short. The steering just happens to be #1 on a very short list.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the link available right now, but on the other forums (maybe wranglerforums.com) people are replacing some cheap steering arm part with an aftermarket one and it's resolving their steering issues. I'll dig up the links tomorrow if someone else doesn't.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive

I don’t understand why anyone would buy any vehicle which they felt the steering was awful, it’s just about the single biggest giver of user feedback in the truck. I also doubt there’s any software that will impact the steering performance, at best it can alter the effort needed to turn the wheel. What is your reference point? My JLUR is fine below about 45 but degrades the faster I go, it’s not a highway cruiser. I’d never buy it if that was the mission. My reference point is my 2011 X3, a very different vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible that this could be something that gets better with time as the steering gets "broken in"? Right now it's a two hand affair, especially on two lane highways. If I'm not paying total attention, it'll cross the line in a hurry. One thing about it, these JLUs that I've been testing promote safe driving!

It's interesting that they used a hybrid hydraulic/electric system. I've never seen that before.
I think you'll have to get used to it. You could also try a new set of tires. I believe Discount Tire has a 30 day return. I know the guys at my local DT would work with you to find the right tire for that machine. I suspect they are like that company-wide. You could also look for stiffer shocks. Rancho 9000's are adjustable, so you could dial it to what works best. I'm not sure if they have a JL shock yet, but they will soon. You can contact them, too. They have great customer service.

I'm on my 3rd Wrangler, so I'm used to how they steer and drive. While I like the JL best, it isn't exactly light years ahead of my JK, which has BFG KO2's and Rancho RX5000 shocks. I don't feel like either wander, but it is all subjective and as I said, I'm used to how Jeeps drive.

One more thought....I would consider trying the KO2 in a size for your Jeep. I think they track really well.
Sponsored