Washed my Keyfob

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I heard about the chip shortage for production, but I didn't realize it would mean only 1 key per Jeep.
Hi Jonah, it's my understanding that, on delivery, you receive an IOU for the second key to be fulfilled when the shortages ease up.
Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Hi Jonah, it's my understanding that, on delivery, you receive an IOU for the second key to be fulfilled when the shortages ease up.
That actually makes sense. Jeep cares. I feel like receiving 2 keys is just right of ownership in any vehicle. I was going to say, because even a 1998 Nissan Sentra I purchased back 10 years ago with 120k miles from a private seller came with 2 keys. 1st world problems maybe. 😆

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I do have a second key so I am not completely SOL. I talked to a local locksmith and they can make one for $290.

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I do have a second key so I am not completely SOL. I talked to a local locksmith and they can make one for $290.
If you don’t mind taking a chance and possibly saving $288, try the following:

1. Open the key fob
2. Remove original battery and dispose of it
3. Take apart remainder of the fob to expose the circuitry and remove it from casing
4. Place exterior casing in rice for 24 hours
5. Use compressed air to blow-dry the circuit board
6. Dip a microfiber towel or cotton swap into 90% isopropyl alcohol and gently rub the circuit board. The purpose of this is to remove any impurities from your washer water and soap. Set it aside afterward
7. After the 24 hours are up, put it all back together with a new battery and see what happens.

Not a guarantee to work but it’s your best chance and only risk is spending a couple dollars on rubbing alcohol.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Take the battery out then spray the crap out of it with WD-40 then let that dry. Wipe it down put the bakery back in and try that

Sponsored

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Did the wash machine survive?

Narb16

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl 80 anniversary
Try offerup. Maybe someone is selling the key and you just gotta take it to the dealer and have them program it worth a shot just switch the key to the “new one”

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Here's another option if you have power locks, but do not have remote start. Order the Remote Start kit (82215865AC, I got mine from BAM Automotive, bamwholesaleparts.com) as it also comes with 2 new Key fFOBs . It's about $300 and it's super easy to retrofit as it's located in the left (drivers) rear corner (near the tailgate) behind the plastic. When you order, they need your VIN as the keys are cut to your JL and you'll get 2 new FOBs in addition to your current FOBs. So I now have 4 FOBs for my JL.
My Dealer charged me $99 for the programming. The tech also finished the module installation and reassembled the plastic panels in the back for me (he didn't have to, but I appreciated it). So from the factory, the remote start option is $495, but as a DIY, it was $380 total (including the dlr programming)...and I now have 4 Jeep remotes now (the 2 original and 2 w/rem start button).
Remote Start is awesome, especially here in AZ, cuz it automatically runs the A/C (or heat on those very few cold mornings) so I can cool it down a bit before I get in.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Take the battery out then spray the crap out of it with WD-40 then let that dry. Wipe it down put the bakery back in and try that
I know WD40 makes a contact cleaner spray, but can you use just standard WD40? I know it will displace water, and that it's not conductive, but doesn't it leave behind something? Will that something create a place that dust and lint want to stick to?

Seems like most people have rubbing alcohol that is >90% on hand, and if not they know where to find it. Then either a new toothbrush or a q-tip would work just fine to gently lift away any soap residue or other gunk on the board without leaving anything behind that dust and lint might stick to.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I know WD40 makes a contact cleaner spray, but can you use just standard WD40? I know it will displace water, and that it's not conductive, but doesn't it leave behind something? Will that something create a place that dust and lint want to stick to?

Seems like most people have rubbing alcohol that is >90% on hand, and if not they know where to find it. Then either a new toothbrush or a q-tip would work just fine to gently lift away any soap residue or other gunk on the board without leaving anything behind that dust and lint might stick to.
Yup. Just plain old WD-40. It does leave a residue but you can wipe it off. Q tips in the hard to reach areas.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
So last week I ran my key fob through the washing machine. I noticed that during the spin cycle the panic button went off. I pulled the battery out and let it dry for about a week now. I just put the battery back in. If I click any button, its like I clicked the panic button. Think this fob is shot? Is the dealership the only place to get a new one?
I washed mine about 5 months ago, I removed the battery and tapped they key fob on my hand until most of the water came out. I then replaced it with a new battery and it still works perfectly fine.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Yeah this chip shortage sucks. Ordered a second key a few weeks back and got told at least 48 days out.

Also to the tune of 186 for the fob and then whatever they charge for programming

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Shouldnt have try using it!. Next time (if it ever happens again). Take the battery out and put it in a bag of rice for 24 hours before using it.
Rice is nice but it will not cure blown out electronic parts.
Sponsored

Last edited: