Sponsored

Cant make my mind on hard top, soft top or both GRRRR!

FLGROWN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Elantra daily driver
Got some questions for some of you. My plan soon is to order a sting gray rubicon with a black top. Not sure I want to go with a hard top and a soft top. Did you get both or just 1? I think I am sticking with painted fenders and black grill. Now do most of you that take your jeep off road do you have the leather or cloth interior? I would love leather but not sure I want to ruin it with mud. Is it safe to hose the inside down to get rid of the dust and mud
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I went with the soft top. Jeep will stay in Florida most of the time and wanted an easy way to take the top off (or down) by myself. I am going Katzkin, easier to clean up vs cloth and can have a custom look. Also have plenty of experience installing them, so don't care if they get ruined in a few years.

MtnJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed
My wife wanted black with cloth. I wouldn't do painted fenders because if you take it off road they are going to get scratched up. Leather is pretty easy to care for, dust wipes right up and it is pretty durable. Getting it wet is a different issues so you don't want to get caught in the rain with the top down. I also see a lot of used cloth seat wranglers with stained seats so you have to care for either. The cloth is going to be much cooler in our hot summer sun. One of the main reasons to get a Wrangler is top down use. We originally were going to go soft top but in reality hard top highway driving is much nicer, the hard top isn't bad to remove and bikini tops are cheap. So mine is coming as a 2 door, cloth, with a hardtop, 6 speed, cold weather, trailer tow and a couple other minor options. Good Luck

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My plan soon is to order a sting gray rubicon with a black top. Not sure I want to go with a hard top and a soft top. Did you get both or just 1?

Now do most of you that take your jeep off road do you have the leather or cloth interior? I would love leather but not sure I want to ruin it with mud. Is it safe to hose the inside down to get rid of the dust and mud
I ordered just the soft top when configuring my JLU. I intended to, and have, availed myself of the Sunrider feature, or the fully-lowered top, as frequently as climate conditions allow.

More to the point, my Jeep is parked in a garage every night. Arguably, a convertible top requires this protection if the owner expects it to remain looking good, and serviceable, for any number of years. Voice of experience here.

As for leather seating surfaces, it wouldn't occur to me that they would be compatible over the long term with recurring hose-downs. Just a thought.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

get both. try both. sell the one you like the least>>>profit!

the extra soft top is what, $600 or so? if you decide you dont want it, you can sell it for $1k all day long and you should be able to recoup your money on a hard top as well if you decide to get rid of that.

i have the soft top. i like both. they both have their pros and cons.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can probably get away with just the soft top in Florida weather. My only concern with the soft top would be lack of security.

If you are undecided, get the hardtop or the dual top option. If you get the soft top and then decide to get the hardtop, adding the control switches, the electrical harnesses for the rear wiper and the rear defogger, and the fluid line for the rear window washer get very expensive very fast.

My JL came with cloth seats; I didn’t like it. Dirt, hair and food stuck to the fabric like glue. No matter how hard I cleaned the interior, the seats never really looked clean. I had the seats reupholstered with Katzkin leather and the interior now looks like a million bucks. Of course I don’t have to deal with Florida heat.

OP
OP

FLGROWN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Elantra daily driver
Thanks for everyone's input, man I hate decisions since I can never decide, lol. I am thinking more now that I will buy both the hard and soft top just so I have both. I am now leaning more towards cloth seats and putting katzkin on seats. I think I will keep with the painted fenders and maybe buy a set of black just to switch out if I wanted too. There done decisions made, lol.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Thanks for everyone's input, man I hate decisions since I can never decide, lol. I am thinking more now that I will buy both the hard and soft top just so I have both. I am now leaning more towards cloth seats and putting katzkin on seats. I think I will keep with the painted fenders and maybe buy a set of black just to switch out if I wanted too. There done decisions made, lol.
The black fenders look better. I think people want painted fenders cause theyre coming from regular cars, but once you own the jeep for a while youll like the black fenders.

soft top and hardtop are both nice. hardtop makes it easier to carry gear up top, thats the main reason I got hardtop. I think softop is better if you dont need to carry gear up top. The premium softop in the JL is very nice, even for highway driving. Ive owned both, and I would go back to soft top if I didnt need the roofrack.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I went painted hard top and cloth seats. I searched market place and scored premium for 750. I do not regret getting cloth seats. If I want leather later I can can go custom katzkin for cheaper. Keep in mind you lose a lot of leather trimming with cloth. I didn’t realize this but was fine with it. For off-road purposes I wish I had leather. Where I wheel it is very muddy so doors off would be a big mess with cloth. Considering just getting seat covers for when the Jeep will get muddy.

I also wheel in tight trees and have already damaged a fender. I went painted. I love the look but they may have to be replaced for something slimmer.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I read somewhere that the hard top requires some components. If you order the soft top, these are not included and are difficult/expensive to add later.

If you plan to use both, it might be better to order the hard top and add the soft top later.

I never verified this for myself, so you might want to double check the information.

Keep in mind that there are some after market soft tops, so you have options.

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
I wanted both tops until I started watching videos on the One Touch efficiency. I’m getting older (and lazier), so having an open roof at the touch of a button without having to disassemble and store another top was exactly what I needed...couldn’t be happier! Starts drizzling, I hit the button and keep moving! No regrets.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Got some questions for some of you. My plan soon is to order a sting gray rubicon with a black top. Not sure I want to go with a hard top and a soft top. Did you get both or just 1? I think I am sticking with painted fenders and black grill. Now do most of you that take your jeep off road do you have the leather or cloth interior? I would love leather but not sure I want to ruin it with mud. Is it safe to hose the inside down to get rid of the dust and mud
If you are torn between both I recommend getting your Jeep with the hard top. If you start with the soft top, you won't have the necessary connections for the rear wiper, washer and defroster if you get a hard top later on. If you start with the hard top, you can get any soft top and will not be missing anything. Starting from hard top is a lot easier all around, unless you know you will never get a hard top.

Oh, and if you get the dual top you are basically ordering a hard top and getting a soft top tossed in the back.

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Sunrider for hardtop?

926D763C-6C30-4608-B7C5-1489A15D29CD.jpeg

D1995850-D310-4C66-95F4-3B96E2D11AFC.jpeg

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I also have Sky One but if it ever becomes a disaster and stops being produced I think I’d just go soft top all year. Despite winter I love open Jeep and was getting tired of the 6 month roof switch.
Sponsored