I finally understand why people hate mall crawlers

Okiedokie

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Sahara
meh... I'm fine with people using their money and time the way that they want. I'm not gonna hate on anyone for how they use it. But the mall crawler thing makes very little sense to me. A Jeep is a compromised vehicle on road. Everything about it is aimed toward off road capability. If you're not going to use it for that, why make those compromises? I expect many mall crawlers will be trading in their Jeeps for the Bronco. Getting rid of the solid axle will make the on road handling and ride so much better, but they still will retain a look that is similar to Jeep (a classic offroad toughness look). That look is the only thing I can think of to explain why someone picked a 4 door wrangler over a 4Runner if they're not going to go offroad or take the top/doors off.
Tl;dr
Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
In my previous life I zoomed down 5th Ave @ 45 mph in a 45 foot vehicle, with messengers hanging on top the sides weaving thru people,taxis.
And back thru a tunnel with counterflow lanes with nothing separating you @ 50 mph but a yellow solid line with your mirrors inches from each other.
So the moral to this story is some of us just want to chill....I've had my fun. 🗽😎🖖

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
We're curious to know if, while you "tear up some new trails" on city grass and elsewhere, you also contemplate whether such behavior contributes to the closing of established trail networks.
James,

Couldn't agree with you any more. You are 100% spot on! Here in Colorado, we are always battling the authorities in keeping trails open.

Unfortunately, there seem to be way too many off-road enthusiasts more interested in tossing mud and damaging trails than finding the venues that support such behavior. There are mud whomping areas and then there are nearly pristine forest and mountain passes. Many can't seem to understand the difference.

There are more and more trail closures and restrictions occuring at an alarming rate. Most are due to direct trail damage but some are now based on pure speculative concern of preventative 'environmental impact' decisions which are regrettably resulting from irresponsible off-roaders getting their 'thrills' wherever or whenever they can.

Granted, here in Colorado the vast majority of Jeepers are not the problem, it's the ATVs and Side-by-Sides that seem to do most of the damage. Still, there are some Jeeps that do not honor responsible off-road behavior. This thread highlights this fact pretty well.

I for one don't want to tell anyone how to use their Jeep, but I admire the Mall Crawlers by sticking to the pavement in order to get their 'smoking' the tire thrills. Having a bad-ass off-roader doesn't necessarily give you a license to be a bad 'ass-hole' off road.

Please understand how insanely sensitive DC bureaucrats are becoming in all things 'green'; all under the guise in saving the planet. Don't give them any more ammunition to ruin responsible off-roading for the rest of us.

Please destroy your mud tires at the mall doing burn-outs, rather than having the authorities close down any more of the Pawnee Grasslands (or any of the precious mountain trails) that we are so fond of here.

Mall Crawlers ROCK! At least they aren't hurting anything...

Jay

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clarify, i fully respect them. I love shiny nice expensive things.

i had no intention of ever going off pavement with these mickey thompsons, but man i couldnt resist. I finally realize now just how fun it is to go do burnouts and donuts on prairie grass, hit the mud, and tear up some new trails in the hills. If these tires only last 20k kms then im gonna use them for what theyre made for.

My plan was 20x12s up to 24 inch wheels to have something flashy. But man theres nothing like going through mud and widening the ruts out while throwing hundreds of mud chunks the size of your head all over the roof. The 40 minute car wash was definitely worth the fun. Too bad theres not actually anywhere to offroad within 10 hours. Its risky tearing up city grass 😅

262AED39-0C1C-43B4-A4B0-5750666AF971.jpeg

EED0C052-11B3-4648-9505-6BBE8505DABB.jpeg
Which model tire? How's it on road?

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have a place that to play. In my town the song "Big Yellow Taxi" comes to mind. They paved paradise, and put up a damn parking lot. :crying:

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I would love to have a place that to play. In my town the song "Big Yellow Taxi" comes to mind. They paved paradise, and put up a damn parking lot. :crying:
I feel for you. Move, I did. I used to live in the ugly urban area called Detroit.

All I (personally) ask is that if you do, please keep all that city crap behind. People here (in CO) are very nice, welcoming, and pleasant. Unfortunately more and more are escaping the big urban centers bringing their unsocial behaviors and attitudes with them. There is so much to see here. That is as long as the trails remain open.

Living in such a great place really brings you a sense of trying to keep it that way. Rocky Mountain High certainly doesn't require any kind of drug. Just being able to get high into the wilderness (anywhere) is sufficient.

You are most certainly invited.

Jay

Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I dont understand at all why some hate mall crawlers. I dont care what anyone buys or how they use their vehicle. I also dont care what anyone thinks about what I buy, how I use it or what equipment I put on it. My wifes Sahara will never see dirt. Its lifted with K02's with steel bumper and a bull bar. She loves it. Hopefully soon we will be a 2 Wrangler family, I have a Cherokee Trailhawk but have a 392 on order. When others ask the wife if she takes it off road she tells them no, thats what his is for.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I feel for you. Move, I did. I used to live in the ugly urban area called Detroit.

All I (personally) ask is that if you do, please keep all that city crap behind. People here (in CO) are very nice, welcoming, and pleasant. Unfortunately more and more are escaping the big urban centers bringing their unsocial behaviors and attitudes with them. There is so much to see here. That is as long as the trails remain open.

Living in such a great place really brings you a sense of trying to keep it that way. Rocky Mountain High certainly doesn't require any kind of drug. Just being able to get high into the wilderness (anywhere) is sufficient.

You are most certainly invited.

Jay
isnt driving on detroit streets a lot like off roading? Might need a winch to get out of some of those potholes lol

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I love the mall crawling crowd, they give an unending supply of mint, used but never abused Wranglers to buy for years to come.
that is an excellent point. Same with buying a nice used vette that the old guy babied and never drove.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I’m indifferent. The people that strike a nerve with me are those that drive their jeeps or big SUV’s, trucks like sports cars.
Sponsored