Sponsored

Has anyone gotten their accessories stolen, when mounted OUTSIDE the Jeep?

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not exactly on the outside ... When I was returning to my car at the Calgary airport, I saw a Wrangler owner frantic on his phone (which I thought was odd at 1am). His headlights were taken. As someone pointed out, if a thief wants something bad enough, consider it gone, but locking hood latches at least make it a bit harder.
Wow, I can't help but think Jeep has lent a hand in encouraging these activities in some ways by making these parts so expensive to replace yet so easily stolen...

Poor guy at the airport, he probably needs a new grille too because I doubt the thief was being 'courteous' when removing that.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Wow, I can't help but think Jeep has lent a hand in encouraging these activities in some ways by making these parts so expensive to replace yet so easily stolen...

Poor guy at the airport, he probably needs a new grille too because I doubt the thief was being 'courteous' when removing that.
I adore Jeepā€™s great traditions, it was a factor in me wanting one. Not sure how adding a locking hood and gas door would totally spoil the experience.

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
A tremendous use of the 4xe would be a ā€˜tazer modeā€™ so any scumbag thief who touches the vehicle gets zapped until their shorts are nice and full. Maybe also some additional onboard cameras so we can sit down with a bag of popcorn and have a good laugh while watching the morons get toasted :devil:

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
A tremendous use of the 4xe would be a ā€˜tazer modeā€™ so any scumbag thief who touches the vehicle gets zapped until their shorts are nice and full. Maybe also some additional onboard cameras so we can sit down with a bag of popcorn and have a good laugh while watching the morons get toasted :devil:
"Tazer mode" sounds great until it works about as good as our backup cameras and starts zapping us while we drive down the road :LOL:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You know, things like traction boards, lights, hi-lift jacks, rotopax cans, awnings etc? I tend to stash anything I can inside for security when possible.

Has anyone gotten any of these things stolen when mounted outside the Jeep? Since most of the time, they're just held down by a few bolts.

My main concerns are about leaving the Jeep at trailheads and go hiking/camping etc, especially overnight.

During my most recent trip, I saw a JL sitting at the trailhead on a bunch of rocks with all wheels missing.

Let's hear some stories.
My RotopaX is locked
Traction boards are inside
Hi-Lift jack is locked by cable
Spare tire & other wheels are locked (McGard)
Hood locks
I worry about my Mopar 7" LED off road lights

But most of the time the jeep is safe in the garage. Except when we are on road trips.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I have locking nuts on my lights, a locking bolt on my winch, locking lugnuts hood lock, locking gas cap and when I used to run a hilift (on my JK) I used the locking thumbscrews.

If someone really wants something I guess theyā€™ll take it but I refuse to make it easy for them.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have locking nuts on my lights, a locking bolt on my winch, locking lugnuts hood lock, locking gas cap and when I used to run a hilift (on my JK) I used the locking thumbscrews.

If someone really wants something I guess theyā€™ll take it but I refuse to make it easy for them.
Exactly! If they are going to steal it from me, theyā€™ll have to work for it.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the reasons why I'm cautious about buying overly expensive accessories that needs to be mounted outside, especially say.. Awnings or.. Baja Designs lights, someone can just easly remove 2 bolts and get away with something worth well over a grand.
One good old trick can fix that easily, Spot weld the bolts once they're set. Stolen lights is not something new, used to happen in the 70's-80's and that was the solution for most at the time.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I was concerned about my front camera getting easily stolen on my JL before I took delivery. I now see it wouldn't be too easy at all to take as it is mounted pretty securely.

I also thought the available hood lock would be perfect. Until I noticed the camera is exactly when the lock would be installed.

A plus though is the camera isn't easy to see unless you're really looking for it. It's there but doesn't stand out like a light set up would.

20210328_125813.jpg

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I adore Jeepā€™s great traditions, it was a factor in me wanting one. Not sure how adding a locking hood and gas door would totally spoil the experience.
Not everyone wants to mess with a locking gas cap or locking hood. Taking the keys out of the car every time you get gas is a pain. Both items are readily available via the aftermarket. Even if the gas cap had one of those latch buttons inside, I would not want it. I can't tell you how many times I get out of my SRT and have to back and push the damn filler release button. I would rather let the thief take my gas than have them jam a screwdriver into the filler door and easily pry it open while damaging the vehicle. I guess Jeep could offer a "Security" package or something like they do with the smokers package. I know I would not want to pay for it or even want the hassle of it on my Jeep. In fact, I was thrilled that I could order a Rubicon without the safety package, rear sensors, or adaptive cruise.

On a side note, I noticed that Jeep did add a pin to the hood to tie into the alarm system. With a Tazor you can activate it so that if someone opens the hood when the vehicle is locked it will trigger the panic type alarm.

Remember, these are JEEPS! Once you put a soft top on them everything inside is fair game, even with a lock, the hood could be pried open.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have just some Gorilla nuts on my wheels and thatā€™s it, nothing else has locks.

My Jeep is garage kept and where I park at work is closed off from the public and gated and fenced.

I figure if someone wants to steal something they are gonna steal it, thereā€™s not much under the hood that can be had and my winch is recessed behind my bumper so to steal the winch they would have to take the whole bumper off to get to it and I donā€™t think ppl steal gas anymore or at least I have not heard of that in along time

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Not everyone wants to mess with a locking gas cap or locking hood. Taking the keys out of the car every time you get gas is a pain. Both items are readily available via the aftermarket. Even if the gas cap had one of those latch buttons inside, I would not want it. I can't tell you how many times I get out of my SRT and have to back and push the damn filler release button. I would rather let the thief take my gas than have them jam a screwdriver into the filler door and easily pry it open while damaging the vehicle. I guess Jeep could offer a "Security" package or something like they do with the smokers package. I know I would not want to pay for it or even want the hassle of it on my Jeep. In fact, I was thrilled that I could order a Rubicon without the safety package, rear sensors, or adaptive cruise.

On a side note, I noticed that Jeep did add a pin to the hood to tie into the alarm system. With a Tazor you can activate it so that if someone opens the hood when the vehicle is locked it will trigger the panic type alarm.

Remember, these are JEEPS! Once you put a soft top on them everything inside is fair game, even with a lock, the hood could be pried open.
You make some fair points. However, as more and more people are introduced to the Wrangler with each new generation, I think they will make some security changes. Admittedly, I do find the locking gas cap to be a pain (and not like anyone ever tried to put stuff in my previous carā€™s gas tank). Not sure a locking hood would be too much of an everyday hassle, though.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Does the stock setup not set off the alarm when the hood is opened??? Is the tazer the only thing that can make that happen?

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Does the stock setup not set off the alarm when the hood is opened??? Is the tazer the only thing that can make that happen?
Yes thatā€™s right.
But I hear that in the European export version, the hood alarm is activated by default and there are many incidents of the alarm going off in the middle of the night.

Because Jeep electronics.

These 2 words donā€™t mix well.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have just some Gorilla nuts on my wheels and thatā€™s it, nothing else has locks.

My Jeep is garage kept and where I park at work is closed off from the public and gated and fenced.

I figure if someone wants to steal something they are gonna steal it, thereā€™s not much under the hood that can be had and my winch is recessed behind my bumper so to steal the winch they would have to take the whole bumper off to get to it and I donā€™t think ppl steal gas anymore or at least I have not heard of that in along time
The ever increasing prices of some of these parts are what fuels the theft as well.

Many incidents of the factory LED headlights and taillights being yanked right out of the Jeep. At $1000 a pair, you donā€™t blame them..

Iā€™m sure that has never happened on a TJ, or JK..

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if incidents of Gladiator Mojaveā€™s shocks going missing starting to become news as these are $5000 a pop. Not any harder to steal than the typical wheel&tires.

Or if they found some other BS on the 4xe thatā€™s worth their weight in gold, and just so happens to sit in plain sight.

As long as Mopar keep asking for astronomical prices for them, theyā€™ll be painting targets for potential thieves and making their habits more viable.
Sponsored

Last edited: