Sponsored

What made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

So, what made you jump in the Wrangler bandwagon?

Personally, I moved from the city to the country, back in September '20. And when you say "country" in Eastern Quebec, it REALLY means "country".

And I quickly realized that in the country, you need two things: 4X4 and ground clearance. My little AWD CX-30 didn't cut it.

So yeah, I test drove a Wrangler since I always wanted one but always seen that as "the cool car i'll never get because it doesn't make much sense"...

...and now am hooked...AND it's making a lot of sense.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
My wife always wanted a 'fun car' which was defined as a Jeep soft-top or a classic convertible muscle car. I could not decide what to get her for Christmas last year so I decided this would be the year we finally get a 'fun car'. I soon realized I couldn't afford 50+k for something that sits in the garage 75% of the time so we would have to get a Jeep and make it her daily driver. I dipped my toe in the Jeep waters in late December and the rest is history. The initial 'interest' turned to obsession very quickly and now when I tell people it's our 'mid-life crisis' she says 'no, it's YOUR mid-life crisis' (she would have been happy with a soft-top and good sound system) :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No bandwagon for me. Been driving Wranglers for 12 years; since before they were hawt.

My very first Wrangler was a used 2008 JK 2-door Sahara with soft top and manual transmission. I got hooked.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
No bandwagon for me. Been driving Wranglers for 12 years; since before they were hawt.

My very first Wrangler was a used 2008 JK 2-door Sahara with soft top and manual transmission. I got hooked.
They've been hawt for much more than 12 years and you know it. :)

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Let's be honest: they're kind of pigs to drive, not very good on the highway. But God, are they a blast.

There's a s*** ton of great cars on the market. Yet, if you're like me, there's absolutely no f'n way you'll buy anything else than a Wrangler. Okay, maybe an FJ Cruiser...or a Defender. Or a Bronco.

My user name is German for Homecoming. There's no bandwagon here. Rather, 25 years had passed since I owned my YJ and I wanted to enjoy the singular benefits of a soft top Wrangler once again.

Insomuch that it's been fairly cold here since I took delivery in late October, and that next week promises to have the first truly warm weather of 2021, I'm looking forward to heimkehring the shit out of my red Jeep. :)

BTW, it was large, 1970s-era American cars that were pigs to drive. The modern JLU is in comparison pretty light on its feet. You have it better than you think you do. ;)

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Personally, I moved from the city to the country, back in September '20. And when you say "country" in Eastern Quebec, it REALLY means "country".

And I quickly realized that in the country, you need two things: 4X4 and ground clearance. My little AWD CX-30 didn't cut it.

So yeah, I test drove a Wrangler since I always wanted one but always seen that as "the cool car i'll never get because it doesn't make much sense"...

...and now am hooked...AND it's making a lot of sense.
I’m an adventurist myself and Wrangler is just about the only vehicle that can go where I wanted to go, and does it in style.

Well, there isn’t another convertible “truck” on the market to choose from. Really. So I think it was an easy decision.

And also modern Toyota’s are about as ugly as they get.

FDC1FA64-79C3-499B-AE39-A0984EF05C26.jpeg

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Biggest points for us: First, it can be flat-towed, 4 wheels down; critical because we travel full time in our motorhome. We wanted more ground clearance than the vehicle we previously towed. And third, who wouldn't love a Punk'n JLU??

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I have always owned sports cars, and my wife the practical family car. But she always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, and I didn't care much for them.

In July of 2019 we went to Moab with family and rented JL Rubicons and I was instantly hooked. Surprised my wife with a 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (red bow and all). 18 months and 17K miles later we sold it for more than we paid and I have a Rubicon 4xe on order.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Oh, you think? I always had a very soft spot for that rugged Tacoma TRD Pro. With a 6MT, of course.
I’m a utilitarian, I love 70/80 series Land Crusiers and 80s Toyota Trucks, when they were designed function over form.

I have a lot of opinions (negative) on modern Toyota designs where there is a lot of faux and decorative elements like fake vents and fake covers. Overly done body lines and curved surfaces that makes it bulky for no apparent reason.

Also bad designs that decrease your approach/departure angles.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
The FJ Cruiser (2003-2014) could have been so much more than the aesthetic afterthought that it was. The presence of the retro grille did nothing to distract from the clumsy styling cues on the rest of the vehicle.
toyota-fj40-1.jpg

If Toyota made and still produced the FJ Cruiser more like a modern FJ40. I would have probably bought it over the JL Rubicon.
Sponsored