Sponsored

What Will Jeep Do to Stay Ahead in the Off-Road War that is Coming?

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
It is odd that some Jeeps see no off road use at all. I talk with a guy that works near me pretty often. He has a lifted 2 door JK with big tires and some other minor upgrades. When I asked him if he took it off road I got a look like - are you crazy? Jeeps are everywhere here too. I have not ever brought it up again. I had my brand new 4Runner off road days after I purchased it.

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea that would be my guess removable panels like the power JL top.

Sponsored

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
The 4.6 V8 Rover used was awful. They used that in the range Rover and discovery for a while. Most of their other motors have been very solid. I had to top hat the sleeve liners in my 4.6. Before that it was constantly blowing gaskets. It's the electronics though historically with land Rover. My dealer service guy knows I'm not buying a new one so I don't think he was blowing smoke when he told me they've gotten much much better. You can't beat the fit and finish of a Land Rover though. If I love the defender I'll keep the JL as a toy and make the defender my daily. It'll be nice enough. I can't daily the JL. The interior noise is no bueno for older clients/colleagues. Defender won't have that problem

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
The build quality or lack of it in the JL so far will have to be improved quite a bit once the bronco and Rover are out. Say what you will about Land Rover but it'll be nice as hell and finished extremely well. With how expensive a loaded Rubicon has gotten that is still only as fancy (with cheaper materials) as the base model Land Rover will be I see the price being very close. Jeep will up their game

The real question in terms of Jeep build quality may not be the JL but rather the upcoming JT (pickup). We already know a fully loaded JLU bumps up against $50,000 even with build quality, noise, and harshness issues that are common in Wranglers. Although the JL has improved the Wrangler line and there still remains no viable competitors, it is not perfect and for many not a daily driver for a variety of these and other reasons. But accepting shortcomings common in Wranglers does not necessarily mean that Jeep buyers will accept such characteristics in the highly competitive mid-size pickup market, particularly with the new Ford Ranger coming.

IMHO, many claim they want the new Jeep pickup, but fewer will buy one if the price exceeds $50k and the quality is not up to par with the other contenders unless the JT offers overwhelming advantages such as Wrangler-like off-road capability, removable or fold-down tops, etc. Even then, JT buyers are very likely to be more demanding then JL buyers and any miscue from FCA with the new JT has the potential to reek havoc in Jeep's marketing plan and sales quotas. If the Jeep mantra with the JL was to "not screw things up," one would imagine that the JT mantra will have to equal that and then some.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The real question in terms of Jeep build quality may not be the JL but rather the upcoming JT (pickup). We already know a fully loaded JLU bumps up against $50,000 even with build quality, noise, and harshness issues that are common in Wranglers. Although the JL has improved the Wrangler line and there still remains no viable competitors, it is not perfect and for many not a daily driver for a variety of these and other reasons. But accepting shortcomings common in Wranglers does not necessarily mean that Jeep buyers will accept such characteristics in the highly competitive mid-size pickup market, particularly with the new Ford Ranger coming. IMHO, many claim they want the new Jeep pickup, but fewer will buy one if the price exceeds $50k and the quality is not up to par with the other contenders unless the JT offers overwhelming advantages such as Wrangler-like off-road capability, removable or fold-down tops, etc. Even then, JT buyers are very likely to be more demanding then JL buyers and any miscue from FCA with the new JT has the potential to reek havoc in Jeep's marketing plan and sales quotas. If the Jeep mantra with the JL was to "not screw things up," one would imagine that the JT mantra will have to equal that and then some.
Yeah but if they get it right then holy shit will it be hot.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I don't think anything will really compare with the Wrangler for actual rock crawling, but for all other off-roading/normal driving; it can be beat for sure.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the JT is anything like the defender truck from the last James Bond film it'll be incredible. I know I'm probably definitely alone in this but I'd like it with a fixed panoramic roof

Sponsored

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think anything will really compare with the Wrangler for actual rock crawling, but for all other off-roading/normal driving; it can be beat for sure.
If the rumors of solid axle new defender is true it'll rock crawl every bit as well as the Wrangler if not better... As long as all the electronics are working lol. It'll have the lockers and even more aids, cameras, features, and electronics. That new feature they previewed where the cameras allow you to see through the hood will be incredibly helpful while in the rocks

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
You know, it’s really hard to say what they’ll do, but they’ll do something. They already did, by releasing a highly upgraded Wrangler. It’s already a wonderful platform, filled with many of the things hardcore enthusiasts desire. It can only get better from here

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It is odd that some Jeeps see no off road use at all. I talk with a guy that works near me pretty often. He has a lifted 2 door JK with big tires and some other minor upgrades. When I asked him if he took it off road I got a look like - are you crazy? Jeeps are everywhere here too. I have not ever brought it up again. I had my brand new 4Runner off road days after I purchased it.
Same thing can be said for half the trucks out there as well. I see 4x4 and 2wd pickups all the time with lifts and tires but have never been off road. For most people its a looks thing along with knowing they have the capability. Let's be honest..... How many landcruisers, rovers, defenders, FJ's, G-wagons, 4x4 trucks etc... have actually been off road? Even the 2wd JK didn't do well with the soccer mom's. They still wanted that 4x4 knowing damn well they would never use it. The JKU and JLU do so well because the vast amount of people it appeals to. My mother used to drive suburbans all the time and I asked her why she like such a big vehicle? Her response was... "everybody can fit in it and I sit higher than the other vehicles so I can see everything and feel safer." So even without taking it off road, Jeep has most of the things people like and it's convertible. Big tires and 4x4 is like insurance for most people.... "just in case"

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Same thing can be said for half the trucks out there as well. I see 4x4 and 2wd pickups all the time with lifts and tires but have never been off road. For most people its a looks thing along with knowing they have the capability. Let's be honest..... How many landcruisers, rovers, defenders, FJ's, G-wagons, 4x4 trucks etc... have actually been off road? Even the 2wd JK didn't do well with the soccer mom's. They still wanted that 4x4 knowing damn well they would never use it. The JKU and JLU do so well because the vast amount of people it appeals to. My mother used to drive suburbans all the time and I asked her why she like such a big vehicle? Her response was... "everybody can fit in it and I sit higher than the other vehicles so I can see everything and feel safer." So even without taking it off road, Jeep has most of the things people like and it's convertible. Big tires and 4x4 is like insurance for most people.... "just in case"
I agree that once you enter a certain vehicle price range off road use is highly unlikely. Of course, for some it is a Napoleon thing. Using 4x4 is like using a tool. But, there is something different about those that purchase a Jeep Wrangler. We expect it to be subjected to regular off road stuff. You cannot hide a Jeep Wrangler, it is all about being off road.Otherwise, why have one? I get the Suburban thing. I drove Volvo's because they sit high and feel tough too. I do not use all of my toolbox everyday, but I have the tools ready if needed.
Sponsored