Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I want to do the pinyon mountain trail and am going to be in anza borrego on the 1st. On all trails I am seeing the slot obstacle, not sure I want to do the slot. It want the rest of the trail... does anyone know if you can go around that slot?

also does anyone have a day trip plan and routes for Anza for intermediate to hard trails. I have gone a gone 4-5 times and done lots of cool stuff... looking for trails that have been off my radar.. and a route that hits many of them I. The most efficient route.
Sponsored

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
So I want to do the pinyon mountain trail and am going to be in anza borrego on the 1st. On all trails I am seeing the slot obstacle, not sure I want to do the slot. It want the rest of the trail... does anyone know if you can go around that slot?

also does anyone have a day trip plan and routes for Anza for intermediate to hard trails. I have gone a gone 4-5 times and done lots of cool stuff... looking for trails that have been off my radar.. and a route that hits many of them I. The most efficient route.
There is no way around the Squeeze. If you do that trail, there are really only 2 obstacles to worry about: The Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill. The Squeeze is passable with little to no damage if you have a very good spotter. Heart Attack Hill is not too bad, just be sure to have really good brakes and brake control.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is no way around the Squeeze. If you do that trail, there are really only 2 obstacles to worry about: The Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill. The Squeeze is passable with little to no damage if you have a very good spotter. Heart Attack Hill is not too bad, just be sure to have really good brakes and brake control.
ok Thanks now I have to decide if’s worth the risk.. I do have 2 additional experienced drivers going with me

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Was wanting to do the same trail. But having a -12offset wheels may not be helpful in my case. The wheels stick out about 2 or so. :(
mine are thesame but I think most lifted jeeps are

Sponsored

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
ok Thanks now I have to decide if’s worth the risk.. I do have 2 additional experienced drivers going with me
I would suggest watching some videos on youtube of people doing the trail. (I am not an expert and only did this once with an excellent spotter who kept me almost completely scrape free!!) The trick is to stay as far to the passenger side as you can and not let your driver front tire get up on the higher ledge. The driver front needs to drop down and not be on the high ledge to keep the passenger back end from leaning too far into the rock.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest watching some videos on youtube of people doing the trail. (I am not an expert and only did this once with an excellent spotter who kept me almost completely scrape free!!) The trick is to stay as far to the passenger side as you can and not let your driver front tire get up on the higher ledge. The driver front needs to drop down and not be on the high ledge to keep the passenger back end from leaning too far into the rock.
almost completely scrape free, sounds like "60% of the time, it works every time" (anchorman)

Covered in Dust

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve done the trail dozens of times but always on my motorcycle. I don’t think it’s that hard for any reasonably capable Jeep and driver.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done the trail dozens of times but always on my motorcycle. I don’t think it’s that hard for any reasonably capable Jeep and driver.
Ya I have been wheeling for a few years.. I think i can handle the trip.. the squeeze is the only thing that bothers me.. and only because i got my new RIG this week.. and I can't even handle taking my son to soccer practive right now for fear of cleats lol

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
@JLUin818 sent me a video of the squeeze and no way I would take my Jeep through that. "Almost completely scrape free" worries me as well lol. Surprised there is no way around it.

Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
While I have taken my 2001 Jeep Cherokee through the slot twice, it was tight.
My 2020 Rubicon is several inches wider and I declined to run the slot when we were out there two weeks ago. Maybe with a spotter, it would be doable.
Anyone here done it in a newer, wider Jeep?

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
While I have taken my 2001 Jeep Cherokee through the slot twice, it was tight.
My 2020 Rubicon is several inches wider and I declined to run the slot when we were out there two weeks ago. Maybe with a spotter, it would be doable.
Anyone here done it in a newer, wider Jeep?
I did it in my 2019 JLUR. Had a great spotter from Hemet Jeep Club and had only a small bit of scratches on the passenger front fender.

The second picture is of the wrong line to take. That guys wrecked both passenger fenders and broke his mirror. Do not get up on that ledge on the driver side with a JL. You need to have your driver wheel come down inside of that ledge.

20210320_103114.jpg

20210320_095529.jpg

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I did it in my 2019 JLUR. Had a great spotter from Hemet Jeep Club and had only a small bit of scratches on the passenger front fender.

The second picture is of the wrong line to take. That guys wrecked both passenger fenders and broke his mirror. Do not get up on that ledge on the driver side with a JL. You need to have your driver wheel come down inside of that ledge.

20210320_103114.jpg

20210320_095529.jpg
That's more scratches than I want lol, but I would agree that isn't too bad at all.
Sponsored

Last edited: