Sponsored

Question for new 4XE owners, is this normal?

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
Sounds like a weed eater. I would take it by the dealership and let them hear it. If that was what every 4Xe sounded like you would have had a lot of angry new owners talking about here for sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yeah, I agree. Appointment set for next week.

The upside of having the sound is that it’s taught me to try to drive in EV only, so while it has 400 miles on it already, the engine only has 100 or so. 😁

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
IDK, my wife’s 2.0 turbo sounds like that when it first starts up. Not a 4xe but the engine is the same.
Gregj

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I think I heard that once with mine, but not since. Wondered what the heck was going on.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Holy shit. Yeah that's definitely not the pedestrian alert system unless that's made to alert Helen Keller.
I would definitely take that back to the dealer. That sounds bad and definitely worrisome

Sponsored

Kremz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Nothing like that from mine, cold start will run the engine slightly higher RPM for about 60s or so in Hybrid but that’s it. Not even close to that loud however. Let us know what it turns out to be, might be something to keep an eye on.

OP
OP

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Almost sounds like an exhaust leak
Was thinking about this more, and have a question for you. What type of overall range do you see on the dashboard after filling up? I noticed that on mine, the computer shows a max range of around 275 miles (filled and nearly topped off battery), which seems a bit low to me. If it was an exhaust leak, it might be affecting the range calculations (granted it could also be driving style differences, but 100 miles off from the datasheet does seem a little odd).

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Was thinking about this more, and have a question for you. What type of overall range do you see on the dashboard after filling up? I noticed that on mine, the computer shows a max range of around 275 miles (filled and nearly topped off battery), which seems a bit low to me. If it was an exhaust leak, it might be affecting the range calculations (granted it could also be driving style differences, but 100 miles off from the datasheet does seem a little odd).
I don’t have a 4xe yet. I have a 2.0 gas only.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yeah, it does in a way. But it disappears completely around when the engine warms up.
I think it’s probably time to have it looked at.
A very small exhaust leak would do exactly that. The metal will expand as it heats up, closing off the leak. That's if it's an exhaust leak that you're dealing with. To my ear, it doesn't sound like one, but diagnosing issues by sound alone, especially over a video recording, is an extremely tricky proposition.

Further exploring the possibility of exhaust leaks, another common culprit is an improperly-torqued exhaust manifold spring bolt. This would be less likely to exhibit the noisy-only-when-cold symptom, but it's still definitely possible. These bolts have always been the source of exhaust noises I've encountered in the past (minus cracked headers on one of my old Mustangs). One way to test is by giving it a sharp bursts of acceleration (ensuring the ICE is kicking in) after the noise has already gone away on its own. If it is being caused by a spring bolt, you should be able to hear the noises momentarily, if the pipes flex just right under load. If this is your issue, you should be able to visually follow the exhaust from the rear opening all the way up to the engine, and locate the offending spring bolt and tighten accordingly. They're usually in pairs at specific joint(s) in the exhaust system, on opposite sides of the joint. I don't know what the torque spec is on these, but note that it's the spring applying the tension (not the bolt, it's almost like a bolt working in reverse), so you have a fair bit of wiggle room. If it is the spring bolts causing your specific symptoms, I'd imagine a tiny 1/8th turn on each should more than bring it in line.

Or... given that it's under warranty, just take it in. But, me personally, I'd have a hard time immediately parting with my new toy for the few days it would take for the dealer to take a look (even though I do have a trusted dealer nearby).

Edit: I shouldn't necessarily say exhaust manifold spring bolt, because they can be used anywhere there's a joint needing some flex. Have seen them commonly on pipe-to-header joints and on both ends of catalytic converters.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I had a thought on this. My wife's Prius does a self check on various systems from time to time. A couple times after it has been parked for a while, I have heard a pump running that I think is a pressure test of the fuel system. Since the fuel tanks on our 4xe's are pressurized, I wonder if this is something similar.

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
Question for new 4XE owners,

When you first start the 2.0L engine (assume a depleted battery, or switching to eSave mode, for example), how loud is the engine when it first starts up?

Reason I ask is I just too delivery of a JLUR 4xe, though when the engine first starts there's around a 60 second period where it sounds like a cheap compressor is running at 100-decibles (might be exaggerating a bit, but it is quite loud). I don't believe it's anything with the engine itself though, as after around 60 seconds it seems to completely stop until the next time the engine restarts cold (almost like it's an accessory shutting off). I would say that it happens 95% of the time when the engine starts up cold.

Other than the unusual sound though, there doesn't seem to be anything specifically wrong, so I'm just curious if others are seeing (hearing) this too?
I had mine for a week now and it does not do that. Definitely take it to the dealer to check it

Foster174

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I have a 4xe Rubicon and mine does the same thing, so please keep us updated on what the dealership says.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It’s an intentional strategy that runs the secondary air pump and runs the engine rich and at high RPMs to accelerate heating the cats on cold start up. It’s pretty common across many makes/models, but FCA seems to make it especially obnoxious on many vehicles.
Sponsored