Sponsored

Rusty’s Skidplate?

Unrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4door
Vehicle Showcase
Going to purchase skidplates soon and have looked at several brands. But after a search here I’m not seeing anything about Rustys. Has anyone given them a try? Any thoughts about them.
Thanks
Sponsored

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
Rusty's makes really good products. I've ordered their JL steering kit (beefier and cheaper than some of the other popular brands) and their slanted rock sliders (again very beefy and well built). I think they don't market as much so people forget they make solid Jeep products. There are some Youtube videos from AllPro Auto and Offroad that show Rusty's installs and comparisons to other well known brands. Like everything, make your own opinion but I like their quality.

OP
OP

Unrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4door
Vehicle Showcase
Rusty's makes really good products. I've ordered their JL steering kit (beefier and cheaper than some of the other popular brands) and their slanted rock sliders (again very beefy and well built). I think they don't market as much so people forget they make solid Jeep products. There are some Youtube videos from AllPro Auto and Offroad that show Rusty's installs and comparisons to other well known brands. Like everything, make your own opinion but I like their quality.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen some of those videos you mentioned that’s what got me looking at Rustys. Looks to be well made for sure.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
what i like about the skid plate, it installs easy, fits right, and is beefy as hell. good protect if you have the rubi disconnect

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been using Rusty's full belly skids for over a year without issues. The only change that I would make would to have counter sunk bolts as opposed to the washer/bolt system they use. Being a skid, those hit first and being aluminum, getting banged up and deformed pretty bad and cant access the bolt head if the skid needs to be replaced. Otherwise, great system!

1204201005~2.jpg

0331201923_HDR.jpg

1007201850_HDR~3.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Unrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 4door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, that’s what I was looking for. Got to place my order.

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
I just ordered the Rusty's Rock Rails and Steering Kit a few minutes ago...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Ive been using Rusty's full belly skids for over a year without issues. The only change that I would make would to have counter sunk bolts as opposed to the washer/bolt system they use. Being a skid, those hit first and being aluminum, getting banged up and deformed pretty bad and cant access the bolt head if the skid needs to be replaced. Otherwise, great system!

Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty’s Skidplate? 1007201850_HDR~3

I am on the fence about these, did you paint them or get them powder coated?

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am on the fence about these, did you paint them or get them powder coated?
I didn't do anything to them. They arrived powdercoated. For the cost, they provide a lot of coverage. My only issue is the bolt washer design. Yes it's "coned" to minimize getting hung up on rocks but they take a lot of abuse since its the lowest hanging part and eventually will need to be cut off if you ever need to remove the skid because you won't be able to access the head of the bolt. Just wish the design allowed for a flush bolt mount. Small problem trade off though for underbelly piece of mind.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't do anything to them. They arrived powdercoated. For the cost, they provide a lot of coverage. My only issue is the bolt washer design. Yes it's "coned" to minimize getting hung up on rocks but they take a lot of abuse since its the lowest hanging part and eventually will need to be cut off if you ever need to remove the skid because you won't be able to access the head of the bolt. Just wish the design allowed for a flush bolt mount. Small problem trade off though for underbelly piece of mind.
They don't powder coat them anymore. I ordered the engine skid a while back and it came coated. Ordered the rest of the skids about a month ago and those where not coated. Didn't realize it so went back to their site and it states no coating now.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The new ones apparently don’t come coated anymore. They are shipped bare steel. I’m torn between these and the Rock Hard skids, by the time I powder coat these they are probably about the same price.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't like an exposed exhaust. M.O.R.E. has much better coverage and is made very well. Add a Skidrow exh. loop skid and you are good to go.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty’s Skidplate? MORE belly pan

Last edited:

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The new ones apparently don’t come coated anymore. They are shipped bare steel. I’m torn between these and the Rock Hard skids, by the time I powder coat these they are probably about the same price.
Just my 2 cents here......Don't spend the extra money to powdercoat any under belly armor or rock rails/skids. Just get yourself some Satin Black paint rattle cans and spray them yourself. If you take the lines I do, which is why you're probably investing in the armor in the first place, these products are going to get beat up and the powdercoat is not going to stay applied. So eventually you'll buy some rattle cans to touch up the areas where bare metal is exposed to prevent rust. Save the powdercoat money. Rattle can them before your install.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They don't powder coat them anymore. I ordered the engine skid a while back and it came coated. Ordered the rest of the skids about a month ago and those where not coated. Didn't realize it so went back to their site and it states no coating now.
Good to know. Thanks!!!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
My main reason for thinking about the powder coat is the top side of everything. I figured I would be doing some maintenance on the bottom from beating it up but once they are on the top side is not going to be something I can go back and take care of rust.
Sponsored