7” to 8.4” upgrading screen size success

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Was the dealership able connect your radio to your VIN with the sales code? Thats what Im trying to do so I can update it OTA.

No they could not. No one would. Drove all over central texas to many dealerships with absolutely no luck. A couple said they did. Never showed up in any systems as having the needed sales code.
Sponsored

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
I’ll add one more partially informed, backward engineered 8.4” install story in a 2021 JLR. I got a new UAQ radio from a “web dealer” (NISMopar.com). They put my VIN into the radio as a virgin unit. I also got the Tazer to do as much configuration as I could. Everything (ORP, Sirius XM radio, and various Tazer enabled additional changes) all seems to work fine. I then added cellular antenna and FAKRA D burgundy cable connection. Amazingly all the Uconnect stuff (Wifi, Market, etc.,) all came up on the screen. I activated WiFi with their “trial period“ option on the screen, and it works and does WiFi just fine (presumably for some trial period). Then I tried to activate Uconnect services by using the “Assist” hotspot on the screen. It happily dialed up the Serius Guardian
people who immediately asked if I had the famous mirror with the two buttons. I said “no” but that I was talking to them through the connected 8.4 radio, which I installed from a dealer, brand new — and it was obviously doing fine. They then checked their “database” and said “the car is not equipped from the factory” and they could do nothing. I escalated, etc, but they were adamant and no help. I tried calling again, and when asked by another agent, told them I had the two buttons on the mirror, and they “checked the database” and said no dice. Again, they were adamant and nothing would budge them. I guess my last gasp will be to beg a dealer to change my radio sales code to UAQ in the “database”. Maybe someone on here, better informed than me, can suggest exactly where I could call, and what I should say or ask for to try to turn this corner. I am wide open to suggestions. A PM is also fine if you don’t want to be public about it. I’m happy to be discreet...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I guess my last gasp will be to beg a dealer to change my radio sales code to UAQ in the “database”. Maybe someone on here, better informed than me, can suggest exactly where I could call, and what I should say or ask for to try to turn this corner. I am wide open to suggestions.
Not going to happen my friend. Their is no way to activate Sirius Guardian on a vehicle that wasn't equipped with it from the factory. There's no dealer to contact nor a number to call to get around this.

This is from infotainment.com where I purchase my 8.4" radio from:

"Those who upgrade to the UAQ system will not currently be able to subscribe to the Sirius Guardian feature. This is only available for Jeeps factory equipped with the UAQ."

My guess is that it's a safety issue and a liability to allow it to be activated on a vehicle that didn't come with it from the factory. The radio and service is tied to the vehicle. They'd have no way of knowing whether the vehicle the new radio was installed in was stolen, etc.

Last edited:

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Amazingly all the Uconnect stuff (Wifi, Market, etc.,) all came up on the screen. I activated WiFi with their “trial period“ option on the screen, and it works and does WiFi just fine (presumably for some trial period).
man this makes me somewhat happy! I am really hoping the WiFi stuff works. I have my 8.4 which is brand new from a parts wholesaler sitting in the box. My cellular antenna is on the way as is the fakra cable. I don’t have a Tazer yet but going to order one this week.
So I’m waiting on all that to come in and install it all at once. I really just want travel link / traffic and the ability to subscribe the hotspot for my kids. I’m not too concerned about guardian.

did you install your cellular antenna after having the 8.4 installed for a while? If so did the hotspot feature show up after the antenna install?

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
man this makes me somewhat happy! I am really hoping the WiFi stuff works. I have my 8.4 which is brand new from a parts wholesaler sitting in the box. My cellular antenna is on the way as is the fakra cable. I don’t have a Tazer yet but going to order one this week.
So I’m waiting on all that to come in and install it all at once. I really just want travel link / traffic and the ability to subscribe the hotspot for my kids. I’m not too concerned about guardian.

did you install your cellular antenna after having the 8.4 installed for a while? If so did the hotspot feature show up after the antenna install?
Yes — after installing, I did a complete reboot (Tazer is handy for this) and it figured it out nicely.

It is also worth noting on the liability/policy front that the VIN in the radio is a pretty strong control as well. I understand that is also pretty hard to change...

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can you use Android wireless if you have the 8.4 with wifi?
No. The WiFi acts as a hotspot for other devices to connect to. It is not for Wireless CarPlay or Android Auto.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Bummer
Thx for the info!
If you want to add wireless CarPlay or Android Auto, look into a CarPlay 2 Air or Carlinkit adapter.

Sponsored

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I’ll add one more partially informed, backward engineered 8.4” install story in a 2021 JLR. I got a new UAQ radio from a “web dealer” (NISMopar.com). They put my VIN into the radio as a virgin unit. I also got the Tazer to do as much configuration as I could. Everything (ORP, Sirius XM radio, and various Tazer enabled additional changes) all seems to work fine. I then added cellular antenna and FAKRA D burgundy cable connection. Amazingly all the Uconnect stuff (Wifi, Market, etc.,) all came up on the screen. I activated WiFi with their “trial period“ option on the screen, and it works and does WiFi just fine (presumably for some trial period). Then I tried to activate Uconnect services by using the “Assist” hotspot on the screen. It happily dialed up the Serius Guardian
people who immediately asked if I had the famous mirror with the two buttons. I said “no” but that I was talking to them through the connected 8.4 radio, which I installed from a dealer, brand new — and it was obviously doing fine. They then checked their “database” and said “the car is not equipped from the factory” and they could do nothing. I escalated, etc, but they were adamant and no help. I tried calling again, and when asked by another agent, told them I had the two buttons on the mirror, and they “checked the database” and said no dice. Again, they were adamant and nothing would budge them. I guess my last gasp will be to beg a dealer to change my radio sales code to UAQ in the “database”. Maybe someone on here, better informed than me, can suggest exactly where I could call, and what I should say or ask for to try to turn this corner. I am wide open to suggestions. A PM is also fine if you don’t want to be public about it. I’m happy to be discreet...
Started checking this thread again. What were the part numbers for the cables you used to install the LTE antenna, and where did you find them? What was the installation process like? I’m looking into doing this myself also. Thanks!

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
LTE antenna is 68293962AA, mounted on sound bar next to GPS antenna in provided cutout. Fakra D (burgundy) cable is 15 feet with male and female ends. Cable not available from Mopar that I could find, so ordered from Vcablemart.com (who are in China but made up the cable from their menu and got it by FEDEX in 5 days). Installation runs down B-pillar on passenger side, along floor, and to the radio by jimmying the plastic cover panels. Not difficult (maybe a 2-3 rating), and functions as described in the owner’s manual after a full reboot and enabling in settings menu.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
LTE antenna is 68293962AA, mounted on sound bar next to GPS antenna in provided cutout. Fakra D (burgundy) cable is 15 feet with male and female ends. Cable not available from Mopar that I could find, so ordered from Vcablemart.com (who are in China but made up the cable from their menu and got it by FEDEX in 5 days). Installation runs down B-pillar on passenger side, along floor, and to the radio by jimmying the plastic cover panels. Not difficult (maybe a 2-3 rating), and functions as described in the owner’s manual after a full reboot and enabling in settings menu.

Doh! I Wish I knew about vcablemart.com a couple weeks ago. HAH. I ordered this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/3x8hJKn It did indeed ship (or something shipped), as I got a tracking number, but its still on the boat coming from China. Expected delivery for me is End of April. It's literally the last piece I am waiting on before doing my 8.4" UAQ radio install. I have everything else.

gavilan1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Just want to report that 7” to 8.4” is very easy, plug and play. I have a JLUS. Everything works as expected. All climate, heated seats, heated steering, all work. Sirius works. Nav works. Nav directions show up in instrument cluster. Took about 5 minutes to swap out. No codes, nothing needed. Bought unit off ebay as a “take out”. Said out of Wrangler. When I first powered up screen flashed “Chrysler”. I was concerned - don’t want to see that every start up! After one power cycle “Jeep” came up and “Chrysler” disappearred forever.

One thing I’ll need to run to ground is Aux switches. I’ve installed, but not had dealer flash yet. Option 1: Attempt with dealer, see if they care or even notice... or if there is a problem. Option 2; Tazer JL

I’ll run for a few days make sure everything is ok, then I may sell 7” and bezel.

Concerned about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Obviously I can’t expect Jeep to cover an ebsy purchase. Another factor in decision to sell 7”. Hopefully someone will solve updates issue.

Also telematics don’t work, but I expected this. I’m ordering the autodim mirror when correct harness becomes available. Benny from AllMoparParts gave me the part number. That MAY make this possible, not sure.
Just want to report that 7” to 8.4” is very easy, plug and play. I have a JLUS. Everything works as expected. All climate, heated seats, heated steering, all work. Sirius works. Nav works. Nav directions show up in instrument cluster. Took about 5 minutes to swap out. No codes, nothing needed. Bought unit off ebay as a “take out”. Said out of Wrangler. When I first powered up screen flashed “Chrysler”. I was concerned - don’t want to see that every start up! After one power cycle “Jeep” came up and “Chrysler” disappearred forever.

One thing I’ll need to run to ground is Aux switches. I’ve installed, but not had dealer flash yet. Option 1: Attempt with dealer, see if they care or even notice... or if there is a problem. Option 2; Tazer JL

I’ll run for a few days make sure everything is ok, then I may sell 7” and bezel.

Concerned about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Obviously I can’t expect Jeep to cover an ebsy purchase. Another factor in decision to sell 7”. Hopefully someone will solve updates issue.

Also telematics don’t work, but I expected this. I’m ordering the autodim mirror when correct harness becomes available. Benny from AllMoparParts gave me the part number. That MAY make this possible, not sure.
Do you know the Mopar part number for the 8.4" radio that you installed? I want to do the same mod. to my 2018 JLU Sport with technology group and Sirius, and I want to search for the right radio unit. Thanks in advance.