Sponsored

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
The question is what kind of driving will you be doing ? if you have shorter trips with opportunities to charge the 4XE is a good choice. If your driving longer distances with few chances to charge it may not be.
It really would depend on the day. My daily commute to the office is exactly 21 miles one way. If I could charge at home and work (definitely doable) I would never need gas! Its when I have to make road trips that concerns me. I currently drive my Cherokee for work and I avg 30 mpg with it.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
It really would depend on the day. My daily commute to the office is exactly 21 miles one way. If I could charge at home and work (definitely doable) I would never need gas! Its when I have to make road trips that concerns me. I currently drive my Cherokee for work and I avg 30 mpg with it.
If you can charge at work that’s huge. I would think you would more than come out ahead. Road trips could be less than 30mpg, but it depends on distance and of you charge somewhere along the way. We have a Pacifica Hybrid and have 4K miles since Feb have only put gas in it 3 times.

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can charge at work that’s huge. I would think you would more than come out ahead. Road trips could be less than 30mpg, but it depends on distance and of you charge somewhere along the way. We have a Pacifica Hybrid and have 4K miles since Feb have only put gas in it 3 times.
Thanks. That’s great info. Did your electric bill go up much ?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That’s great info. Did your electric bill go up much ?
About $100 a month. But to put this in perspective we drive a lot (A lot of 20-30 mile drives, sometimes multiple times a day). The Pacifica Hybrid replaced a 19 Odyssey that averaged 22mpg lifetime. My wife usually fill it up weekly. Gas is $2.60-3 a gallon here now and we are coming out way ahead. So much so I sold my 19 Wrangler (for more than I paid almost 2 years ago!) for a Rubicon 4xe. Our 19 Wrangler with 33” tires averaged 17-18mpg lifetime. With our level 2 charger I think we can put about 70% of our miles on electric.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Something I discovered by accident (can't seem to spot this in the manual) there is a fuel door over ride pull string under the 12volt plug in the back. When you pull on the little plastic cover, it's attached to a string that will release the fuel door.
Page 54 of the Hybrid Supplement

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I just spent 4 hours in the dealership and 2 test drives in the Rubicon 4xe. I didn't sign the paperwork and more confused about fuel economy than when i got there. Its my understanding its 17.2 Gal tank. The range says 249 miles. At 20 MPG shouldn't I get 340 miles. Can anyone tell me what the real fuel costs look like?
Was the fuel tank full when you say the estimated 249 miles?

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was the fuel tank full when you say the estimated 249 miles?
That was my understanding. I have been reading and watching everything I can find and I guess the only way to find is out for sure is to test it myself. I will pick it up on Wednesday and post my results.

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I just spent 4 hours in the dealership and 2 test drives in the Rubicon 4xe. I didn't sign the paperwork and more confused about fuel economy than when i got there. Its my understanding its 17.2 Gal tank. The range says 249 miles. At 20 MPG shouldn't I get 340 miles. Can anyone tell me what the real fuel costs look like?
I hope this helps...

I’m on my original fill up from the dealership at pickup on April 3 — for 610 miles and counting!
Almost all of my ICE driving has been suburban “city” stop and go driving.

UConnect says I’ve driven 173 miles on “hybrid” and I’m at almost exactly 1/2 a tank. To be conservative, I’d estimate that I have 160 miles remaining.

That would be an estimated 333 miles on 17.2 gallons of gas... 19.3 mpg. Not great, but not awful for non-highway. I also always keep the Jeep on max regen which perhaps is not the best for longer trips on hilly roads. I feel like there would be more benefit from the engine shut down when coasting downhill than converting to electricity. I’ll play with that more on future road trips.

Now factor in 437 miles of pure battery driving so far. Here in SE PA electricity costs just over $0.13/kWh. It costs me $1.93 for a full charge that currently takes me 26 miles. With current local gas prices, that’s the equivalent of about 40 mpg when I’m on battery. Of course, that equivalence will fluctuate with gas and electricity prices.

I’ll take 173 miles @ 19mpg to get 437 @ 40mpg all day long. Especially in the most enjoyable vehicle EVER!

As a bonus, I get a free charge topoff when at work.

I’ll provide more data as I get some highway miles under my belt.

Caveats:
1. I’m in a Sahara with highway tires. I expect Rubicon gear ratios, off road tires, etc. would yield lower gas mileage.
2. More air conditioning and more heating as the temperature changes will reduce how many miles I’m getting per charge.
3. Driving with top off and doors off will negatively affect gas mileage...BUT WHO CARES??? :)

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I hope this helps...

I’m on my original fill up from the dealership at pickup on April 3 — for 610 miles and counting!
Almost all of my ICE driving has been suburban “city” stop and go driving.

UConnect says I’ve driven 173 miles on “hybrid” and I’m at almost exactly 1/2 a tank. To be conservative, I’d estimate that I have 160 miles remaining.

That would be an estimated 333 miles on 17.2 gallons of gas... 19.3 mpg. Not great, but not awful for non-highway. I also always keep the Jeep on max regen which perhaps is not the best for longer trips on hilly roads. I feel like there would be more benefit from the engine shut down when coasting downhill than converting to electricity. I’ll play with that more on future road trips.

Now factor in 437 miles of pure battery driving so far. Here in SE PA electricity costs just over $0.13/kWh. It costs me $1.93 for a full charge that currently takes me 26 miles. With current local gas prices, that’s the equivalent of about 40 mpg when I’m on battery. Of course, that equivalence will fluctuate with gas and electricity prices.

I’ll take 173 miles @ 19mpg to get 437 @ 40mpg all day long. Especially in the most enjoyable vehicle EVER!

As a bonus, I get a free charge topoff when at work.

I’ll provide more data as I get some highway miles under my belt.

Caveats:
1. I’m in a Sahara with highway tires. I expect Rubicon gear ratios, off road tires, etc. would yield lower gas mileage.
2. More air conditioning and more heating as the temperature changes will reduce how many miles I’m getting per charge.
3. Driving with top off and doors off will negatively affect gas mileage...BUT WHO CARES??? :)
Excellent write up. I appreciate how you are looking at all sides and figuring how much electricity will cost you. I am really excited to do some tests of my own. Here in California gas prices are crazy high. I can also get relatively cheap rates if I charge at night. I figure if I charge at home then I will get over 50 mpg on electric compared to the cost of gas. I too could top off at work but the wife will never let me drive to work in it. Keeping my Toyota Fj with over 200k miles on it just so I can look somewhat cool driving to work.

One thing I have been looking at it public charging stations. Around here there are no close ones that are free. The ones that charge start at about 25 cents a Kw. Just don't see how that would ever pencil out.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Electricity bills are confusing. Make sure you factor in the kWH charge as well as the delivery charge. Depending on your state/provider those delivery charges add up fast. Having said that I don't see gas prices going anywhere but up.

Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Electricity bills are confusing. Make sure you factor in the kWH charge as well as the delivery charge. Depending on your state/provider those delivery charges add up fast. Having said that I don't see gas prices going anywhere but up.
Here in California we pay a fixed amount per month for infrastructure but don't pay much else other than by the kw after that. I pay $22.25 a month no mater how much I use. I guess the good part is the Jeep will basically only cost the extra electricity.

I am guessing that gas will go up but it oil gets too high it will get wacked again by US shale oil. I work as a power plant operator and my guess is electricity is getting ready to get expensive too. Lots of new mandates coming down the road. It may be good in the long run but short run it is going to cause bills to go up pretty dramatically I would guess. California usually suffers first but I am guessing the rest of the US will follow.

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I wish we had the CA model with flat rate for transmission.
Here in southeast PA (PECO), we pay everything by the kWh:
$0.06609 for distribution
$0.05607 for generation
$0.00506 for transmission

I roundup to $0.13/kWh for ease and to give me some room if rates or taxes increase.

There also is no evening rate discount, but it was just proposed and will hopefully be here soon.

One thing I didn’t mention earlier: My calculations consider a “full charge” from “<1%” to full to be around 14.8 kWh (according to my level2 charger which keeps stats). The battery keeps about 15% of its charge when the engine kicks on, so that makes sense. This is so we can continue to run as a true hybrid even when primarily running on the engine.

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Something I discovered by accident (can't seem to spot this in the manual) there is a fuel door over ride pull string under the 12volt plug in the back. When you pull on the little plastic cover, it's attached to a string that will release the fuel door.

40460.jpeg
40461.jpeg

I saw that the other day. Now I know what that’s for...thanks!! (I fought my inner impulses and decided to not pull the mystery string at that time!!)

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I didn't pull the string either! I figured I would leave well enough alone!
Sponsored