JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
As a first time Jeep buyer ('21 Sahara Altitude currently on order), I was in the market for a cool, kind of retro looking and boxy SUV that leaned towards the truck side, even though I am not an off-roader. It's all about the aesthetic and fun to drive aspect for me (and the open air power top).

So my choices were narrowed down to either a Wrangler or new Bronco. And while I love the Bronco, I think it needs a model year or two to mature a bit, refine the interior (some bits look very cheap), introduce more interior options/colors, and offer more roof options (power roof). By then, availability won't be an issue, and some kinks, if any, will be worked out as well.

So in 3 years time, I am either going to trade my Wrangler in for a Bronco, or see where Jeep is at with the 4xe as I am not a fan of the mix and match trims that they are currently offering for the 4xe models. If by then you can just buy the Wrangler trim that you want, but as a hybrid 4xe, without mixed up trims and blue bits everywhere, and with longer range as battery technology advances, that will be an option as well.

Having said that, I think both the Bronco and Wrangler are awesome, and it's okay to be a fan and admirer of both. And as fans of both, or either, we will all benefit from this Jeep vs. Ford competition.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Yeah I dont get it either. My 2019 2 door JL has always driven straight as an arrow. Always, stock and now slightly modified. I took it to the dealer for a battery replacement and they loaned me a new renegade. The renegade was a POS, the steering felt much lighter and it did NOT drive straight at all, steering "dead zone" was also noticeable. My JL drives better than any truck or cheap SUV ive driven before.
My JK is the same way. Is it still an old school steering box and requires you to pay attention while driving? Sure. But I have no issues driving it on the highway for several hours. I definitely would not want to drive it across the country though that would get old.
Question for those in the know. What axle options does the bronco have up front? Is it the same on all trims? There is all this talk about 35s and 37s.. straight from the factory. What is supporting that.

That brings me back to the Wrangler. Get rid of the d30 and 35. Every Wrangler should have 44s at least front and back.
I 100% agree, the Dana 35 rear axle in the JL is one of the most blatant cost cutting measures. Just throw a 44 in the back like the JK’s, I have no idea why they did that. (Every bronco is a 44 rear no reason Jeep can’t do the same.)

The Bronco front suspension has 2 different versions, basically it’s either with a locker or without. If it’s a model without a front locker it’s an aluminum Dana 30 190mm ring gear diff with 4.46 or 3.73 gears depending on trim. If it does have a front locker (keep in mind probably 70%+ of Broncos will) it’s got a cast iron 210mm ring gear Dana 44 IFS setup with either 4.46 or a 4.70 gear ratio. Both are high pinion from what I’ve seen.

Just for context as well, the GM military Colorado (ISV) is using the weaker Dana 30 IFS, with a locker, on 35’s, and it weighs as much as a Bronco does while also making similar power. So even the smaller diff will probably leave the weak point at the CV’s... which Ford is offering upgrades to as Ford Performance parts.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My JK is the same way. Is it still an old school steering box and requires you to pay attention while driving? Sure. But I have no issues driving it on the highway for several hours. I definitely would not want to drive it across the country though that would get old.

I 100% agree, the Dana 35 rear axle in the JL is one of the most blatant cost cutting measures. Just throw a 44 in the back like the JK’s, I have no idea why they did that. (Every bronco is a 44 rear no reason Jeep can’t do the same.)

The Bronco front suspension has 2 different versions, basically it’s either with a locker or without. If it’s a model without a front locker it’s an aluminum Dana 30 190mm ring gear diff with 4.46 or 3.73 gears depending on trim. If it does have a front locker (keep in mind probably 70%+ of Broncos will) it’s got a cast iron 210mm ring gear Dana 44 IFS setup with either 4.46 or a 4.70 gear ratio. Both are high pinion from what I’ve seen.

Just for context as well, the GM military Colorado (ISV) is using the weaker Dana 30 IFS, with a locker, on 35’s, and it weighs as much as a Bronco does while also making similar power. So even the smaller diff will probably leave the weak point at the CV’s... which Ford is offering upgrades to as Ford Performance parts.
Dana 30 and 35 are plenty strong axles. You can easily get a dana 44 rear when opting for the $500 rear LSD option.

But I agree. Jeep shouldve just done dana 44 front/rear and the rear LSD shouldve been a locker.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The bronco isn't for me honestly, starting with the looks and I just see it as a Wrangler wannabe. It hurts it's image in my personal eyes. However I do like the tech, and ifs that isn't a huge compromise off road is good too. When my wife is due for a new vehicle the bronco 2 for will be a strong contender for her.

Question for those in the know. What axle options does the bronco have up front? Is it the same on all trims? There is all this talk about 35s and 37s.. straight from the factory. What is supporting that.

That brings me back to the Wrangler. Get rid of the d30 and 35. Every Wrangler should have 44s at least front and back.
CRAWLRATIO**
Automatic with electronic shift-on-the-fly: 57.19:1 Manual with electronic shift-on-the-fly: 79.92:1 Automatic with electromechanical transfer case: 67.8:1 Manual with electromechanical transfer case: 94.75:1
**Maximum ratios with high-capability option packages
DIFFERENTIAL
Rear Axle: Dana 44TM AdvanTEK® solid rear axle with available Spicer® Performa-TraKTM electronic locking differentials
Front Axle: Dana AdvanTEK independent front differential unit with available Spicer® Performa-TraK electronic locking differentials
AVAILABLE FINAL DRIVE RATIOS
Manual Auto
Sasquatch
4.70:1 4.70:1 4.70:1
BaseTM
4.46:1
3.73:1
4.70:1
Big BendTM Outer BanksTM BadlandsTM
4.46:1 3.73:1/4.27:1 N/A 3.73:1/4.27:1 4.7:1 4.46:1
Black DiamondTM
WildtrakTM
N/A
N/A
First EditionTM
N/A
N/A

Sasquatch optioned Broncos have 35x12.5 tires from factory. Available on every Trim Base through Wildtrak.
When Ford first displayed the Bronco One had the Sasquatch pack with 37x12.5 with Method race wheels supposedly with no lift.

My Badlands order with man trans will have the 285x70 17 MT(basically 33x11.5) on a 17x8 wheel with 4.7 final gear ratio and 94.75 to 1 crawl ratio!

TIRES All dimensions measured in inches.
17-inch black high-gloss-painted forged aluminum, with warm alloy beauty ring, beadlock-capable
Size (Diameter)
Size (Width)
255/70R16
255/75R17
255/70R18
265/70R17
285/70R17
285/70R17
315/70R17
Wheel Size
16x7
17x7.5
18x7.5
17x7.5
17x8
17x8
17x8.5
Tread Type
A/S
A/T
A/T
A/T
A/T
M/T
M/T
Supplier
Bridgestone
Bridgestone
Bridgestone
General Tire
BF Goodrich
Goodyear
Goodyear
Brand
Dueler H/T 685
Dueler A/T RH-S
Dueler A/T RH-S
General Grabber A/Tx
All-Terrain TA KO2
Territory
Territory
Series
Base
Big Bend
Outer Banks
Black Diamond
Badlands
Badlands Optional
Sasquatch Wildtrak First Edition

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I just watched the video and have to say I was impressed with Bronco's tech and capabilities-saying otherwise would be disingenuous. You also have to hand it to Ford's marketing guy's, calling their terrain management system "GOAT" was pure genius! That said, I still do not like the looks of the 4-door Bronco-either in videos or in person when I saw a pair of them at Barrett Jackson. However, I think the 2-door Bronco looks great in pictures-still have not yet seen one in person as the 2-door they had at Barrett Jackson was in the back getting ready to hit the auction block while I was there.

Like it or not, Bronco is real competition for the Wrangler and will just push Jeep to make an even more formidable Wrangler...a win for all! Ford is also showering a lot of 'luv' on the 2-door Bronco, maybe Jeep will take note...
When they first unveiled the Bronco I was more excited than a kid in a toy store. I still owed several thousand on my Wrangler and started throwing thousands at the bill to hurry and pay it off (anticipating attempting to buy a Bronco upon release)

Months passed, excitement cooled and I started seeing more and more pics of the 4 door, which is the version I wanted.

Decided that I didn't like how the 4 door looked coupled with I'd have to likely wait until 2023 to get one, I traded my JKU and got a JLUR.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I bet some of those broncos are going to have problems when they go on the trails with their Dana 30s and 35s and 37s. The ones with the 44s should be fine I would think. It will be interesting to see how they do.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dana 30 and 35 are plenty strong axles. You can easily get a dana 44 rear when opting for the $500 rear LSD option.

But I agree. Jeep shouldve just done dana 44 front/rear and the rear LSD shouldve been a locker.
The new axles used on JL appear to be stronger than those used on JK and prior Wranglers.

I just don’t see posts from people with 35-inch tires breaking axles any more.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The new axles used on JL appear to be stronger than those used on JK and prior Wranglers.

I just don’t see posts from people with 35-inch tires breaking axles any more.
True. I just put 35s on my m186, that brings me some comfort.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I bet some of those broncos are going to have problems when they go on the trails with their Dana 30s and 35s and 37s. The ones with the 44s should be fine I would think. It will be interesting to see how they do.
From how I read the info is that all locking diffs are Dana 44. If one would choose a non locking front dif you would get the Dana 30. Those that want to build their rig with 37 or more would not be doing so without the front locking Dana 44. But I could be wrong. haha

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
From how I read the info is that all locking diffs are Dana 44. If one would choose a non locking front dif you would get the Dana 30. Those that want to build their rig with 37 or more would not be doing so without the front locking Dana 44. But I could be wrong. haha
Price always gets in the way. Same reason Wrangler owners put 37s on sport and sahara's. Broncos will be no different. Later on you realize you want bigger tires either for off roading or the looks (or both).

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Price always gets in the way. Same reason Wrangler owners put 37s on sport and sahara's. Broncos will be no different. Later on you realize you want bigger tires either for off roading or the looks (or both).
I’m sure you are correct. I’m just saying those that want to off-road will buy lockers.

The bigger question is how long the IFS will last as they are not as robust as the solid.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
the only thing that makes me think the bronco has a chance of sticking around for the long term is that there are ford dealerships who will be building designated bronco buildings. they look really cool lol and i couldnt imagine dealerships shelling out this money for a vehicle that will last 5-10 years max. unless the bronco brand remains forever but just changes to some stupid econobox like chevy did with the blazer
I didnt know that, very interesting. It does bode well, for bronco to succeed it will need to jump start it's own aftermarket....can a brand selling its own trick stuff be called aftermarket? lol Normally this doesnt work since big companys move slow and dont capture the real world like fast moving shops that provide the stuff.

It will be interesting but I still say jeep will be there long after the bronco is another memory....again.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Don’t need it. Straight axle takes away front axle ground clearance. I’m good with my ground clearance, suspension travel and sway disconnect.

What’s a real Bronco? The Bronco was around for 30 years and only changed because of the mall crawler minivan 90’s. The bigger lower slower Expedition was the new Bronco in 97, as a 4 door 4x4.
The wrangler itself was saved by its 4 door option.
If you dont wheel that much I understand why you dont know about the bennys of a SFA. Still, once one realizes the limitations of IFS they just dont feel the same about the rig whether they utilize it or not. Most dont come close to testing capabilities of their rigs, it's more the idea of what they can do with it, what is represents. IFS just doesnt cut it..

IF you have to ask what a real bronco is I understand you more now. It's the one that was a direct competitor to jeep, sold between 66-77. If you think those big models (I owned an 89) were anything like the original I just dont know what to say.

And the wrangler wasnt "saved" in the least by its 4 door verson. More like it exploded in favorability by the masses, namely women and others who saw more versatility with a larger yet still extremely capable rig....with a Solid Front Axle. Jeep would still be there without the 4 door but no where near as popular. In some ways it's bad...hopefully the bad part will gravitate to bronco.. just kidding. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Honestly after a lot of debate, I was going to go with the Bronco. I'm a nerd and I was appreciating all of the tech that was going into it. The wrangler was always my favorite style wise and the I find the bronco to be really fugly, but I figured I could learn to love it. I went with the Wrangler because of how long the wait list was looking. Everything I read was making it look like it would be 2023 at the earliest I could get one.

I don't have that sort of patience when I can just get what I really wanted to begin with within two months.
I find them not all that appealing either. I tried to talk the wife into one so that I could get my go fast fix in the desert here....but she thought it was ugly as well. My wrangler blares through the desert pretty well but thinking the 2.7 will eat it alive from what I hear.

Even if she was ok with getting one, aint no way she's going to wait that long.
Sponsored