Sponsored

Front seat media console - AUX and USB ports

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Has anyone had experience with accessing from the backside, both the USB port and AUX audio port from the front seat media console? I would like to access these ports and run the an aux cable as well as an USB cable up through the dashboard so that it plugs into my cell phone while mounted on the holder sitting on top of the dashboard. This would eliminate having the wires exposed on the front side of the dash.

Console1.png

Console2.png
Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's easy to take apart everything and access the back of those plugs, but I think you would need some kind of harness to do what you want. I'm not aware of anything like that. There is a harness for the back of the lighter, but not for AUX and USB.

OP
OP
Greenie

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's easy to take apart everything and access the back of those plugs, but I think you would need some kind of harness to do what you want. I'm not aware of anything like that. There is a harness for the back of the lighter, but not for AUX and USB.
Thanks Nick, I'll keep searching. Really hate the wires being seen from the front. :-(

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Nick, I'll keep searching. Really hate the wires being seen from the front. :-(
Subscribed! I completely agree.

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
I really hate wires seen from the front too, but apparently the latest UConnect update narrows the available USB ports down to just the one in the dashboard - killing the one in the center console as well as the rear ports. Why Apple and/or Jeep would do this, is beyond me.

My plan (for my Jeep that is on order) was to get the BT CarPlay adapter and have it plugged in and hidden in the center console, and just automatically connect when you get in the Jeep with no device or connection in sight. Now it has to be plugged into the dash, and the BT adapter has to be stored in there, or close by too.

I would love to know the logic and reasoning behind this regressive move. Perhaps @JeepCares can shed some light?

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I really hate wires seen from the front too, but apparently the latest UConnect update narrows the available USB ports down to just the one in the dashboard - killing the one in the center console as well as the rear ports. Why Apple and/or Jeep would do this, is beyond me.

My plan (for my Jeep that is on order) was to get the BT CarPlay adapter and have it plugged in and hidden in the center console, and just automatically connect when you get in the Jeep with no device or connection in sight. Now it has to be plugged into the dash, and the BT adapter has to be stored in there, or close by too.

I would love to know the logic and reasoning behind this regressive move. Perhaps @JeepCares can shed some light?
I have the most recent software and don’t have this issue. Both media and the center console inside all work with Apple car play.

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

No this has not been done...

Regardless of what Jeep Cares says they still work.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
If USB power is all you are looking for, I have a Garmin mini-cam, and a GoPro Dash mounted GoPro 8 mounted with the power wires (USB) concealed behind the windshield edge moldings. They run down under the dash near the glovebox to two 12V to 5V USB power boxes. One box is powered by the cigar lighter connection, and the other powered by AUX switch #2. The Garmin mini is on whenever the engine is running, and the GoPro is controlled by AUX #2. Easy to set up if you are handy at these things. Here is the DC to DC converter I used.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front seat media console - AUX and USB ports 12 V to 5 V.JPG

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
No this has not been done...

Regardless of what Jeep Cares says they still work.
This is great to hear.

I am new to Jeep and all that surrounds, so as I wait for mine to arrive, I was looking into the CARPLAY2air USB adapter. I figured I'd just throw it in the center console as a set it and forget it wireless option. So when I read that statement from @JeepCares saying that the center console USB will no longer work with CarPlay, it threw a wrench into my plan.

I assumed this was an official word from Jeep - should I not take their statements as fact?

I also should have been more clear in my post - the JeepCares statement mentioned that the other ports were disabled for CarPlay specifically, not total USB functionality.

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I don't get it. With Uconnect why do you need to mount your phone? Google navigation maps, music apps, messaging etc.. can all be accessed on the much larger Uconnect screen. My phone stays in the vertical slot between the cup holders, no need to look at it while driving.

One thing I don't like with the USB ports is the cover flap is always open because my phone is always plugged in. I am thinking of removing the cover.

DanHillAK

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 92 BMW M5 Touring, 2015 JKU (sold)
Has anyone had experience with accessing from the backside, both the USB port and AUX audio port from the front seat media console? I would like to access these ports and run the an aux cable as well as an USB cable up through the dashboard so that it plugs into my cell phone while mounted on the holder sitting on top of the dashboard. This would eliminate having the wires exposed on the front side of the dash.

I've also been searching for a USB solution that has the USB port for Android Auto/Apple Carplay up on the dash and a device holder solution as well and I think I've narrowed it down to a combination of the following:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/usb-split-behind-dash.35978/page-2
@Kindafearless has a pretty innovative solution, they re-located the entire dash portion up on the dash. I could use the new empty slot to mount the factory trailer brake controller!

And I plan on combining it some how with expedition essentials solution:
https://expeditionessentials.com/co...p-wrangler-jl-jt-powered-accessory-mount-jpam
Sponsored