Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thamk you very much. Decided to buy the synergy track bar brace and see if that helps enough. Dealers around me think putting 35” on a jl is extreme and when I show up with 3.5” lift and 37” they don’t even know where to begin. Try and get things fixed myself
Sponsored

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Thamk you very much. Decided to buy the synergy track bar brace and see if that helps enough. Dealers around me think putting 35” on a jl is extreme and when I show up with 3.5” lift and 37” they don’t even know where to begin. Try and get things fixed myself
the new steering box fixes all steering issues. Well worth the 700 bucks. I tried everything. It is the only thing that fixed the problem. Like night and day. Zero dead spot on my lifted with 35s.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I had mine replaced last week: night and day difference..but!

I'm not sure they updated the software as on the work order it states, "printer still down".

is there any way that I can look somewhere & see if the software was updated?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced last week: night and day difference..but!

I'm not sure they updated the software as on the work order it states, "printer still down".

is there any way that I can look somewhere & see if the software was updated?
Dealer read out only.

dwar812

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I bought a 2021 JLUR about a month ago and initially dismissed the 'wondering' as 'being a Jeep'. I've owned a 73 & 75 CJ, and a 92 YJ; so I've experienced a lot of things 'Jeep'.

After driving this for a several weeks into work (30 min one way on freeway @ 75 ish), I began to realize this wasn't normal. I honestly don't know why I wasn't stopped for drunk driving. I had to drive with my leg against the steering wheel to minimize the wonder.

I took it to my dealer and they gave me a rental expecting to have to replace the steering box. The following day, I got a call and they said it was ready. They saw that I already had the upgraded box (gear?) and made some adjustments.

I went straight to the freeway and the problem is fixed.

Sponsored

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think I will end up there regardless. Still beefing up the frame side of the track bar is always a good thing and the part that connects to the steering box can always be removed. Wish I had a dealer near me that allowed parts to be installed they did not sell. Going to ask for a quote regardless but assume it will be more in the $1,200-$1,500 range. Wonder if i got it replaced at a local shop if they would still do the flash for me?

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I bought a 2021 JLUR about a month ago and initially dismissed the 'wondering' as 'being a Jeep'. I've owned a 73 & 75 CJ, and a 92 YJ; so I've experienced a lot of things 'Jeep'.

After driving this for a several weeks into work (30 min one way on freeway @ 75 ish), I began to realize this wasn't normal. I honestly don't know why I wasn't stopped for drunk driving. I had to drive with my leg against the steering wheel to minimize the wonder.

I took it to my dealer and they gave me a rental expecting to have to replace the steering box. The following day, I got a call and they said it was ready. They saw that I already had the upgraded box (gear?) and made some adjustments.

I went straight to the freeway and the problem is fixed.
I wonder what they "adjusted"?

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wonder what they "adjusted"?
Well the 2021 has the new steel steering box that others in this thread are finally able to get. Part of getting a new box is getting it programmed into the jeep. I would assume they updated the the software version his jeep had on it. Obviously don't quote me on that

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
After 8 months of requests, waiting, but also the help of a lawyer, I finally managed to change my box against a functional one, the difference is just incredible.

According to the letter from FCA, the number 68507571AA is replaced by the 68507571AB, so this is the number that is put on my Jeep.

Change yesterday, then 400 km of road to test it, I'm finally with a Jeep that should have been like that since its purchase.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts Boitier_AB

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
After 8 months of requests, waiting, but also the help of a lawyer, I finally managed to change my box against a functional one, the difference is just incredible.

According to the letter from FCA, the number 68507571AA is replaced by the 68507571AB, so this is the number that is put on my Jeep.

Change yesterday, then 400 km of road to test it, I'm finally with a Jeep that should have been like that since its purchase.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts Boitier_AB
Congratulations. Take a look at 24.25 inch lower front control arms. That modification is arguably more impactful than the new steering box. It's a $60 DIY project.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Congratulations. Take a look at 24.25 inch lower front control arms. That modification is arguably more impactful than the new steering box. It's a $60 DIY project.
Which lower control arms are the best? I had the new steering box installed back in September on my ‘20. It made a big difference but I think it could be better.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Which lower control arms are the best? I had the new steering box installed back in September on my ‘20. It made a big difference but I think it could be better.
If you Jeep is a Sport/Sahara your stock control arms should work fine. If you have a lifted Jeep or even a stock Rubicon, try the control arms from the Mopar 2" lift kit. They are .25" longer than stock and cost about $60. If you need longer than that you'll need adjustable ones ($200+). Start by measuring your caster, if it's less than 6 degrees the 24.25" one will help you. If the caster is less than 5 degrees, you likely need adjustable ones. Download free angle finder from the app store and search this forum for info on how to measure (5 minute job).

And...read this thread. It is very informative.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
In my ICON 2.5" suspension kit, these parts are already changed and the original steering was always catastrophic. Now with this new box it's finally normal, the reactions are exactly those of a vehicle with rigid axles (it's my third car of this type, raised and with bigger wheels, so I'm a bit used to how the behavior is on the road).

FCA had already changed my box for an "AE" ... which was always a disaster. Now with this second change for the successor of the "AA", so the "AB", I found a Jeep that should have been as it was when I bought it, especially for the selling price that was way too high...

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
In my ICON 2.5" suspension kit, these parts are already changed and the original steering was always catastrophic. Now with this new box it's finally normal, the reactions are exactly those of a vehicle with rigid axles (it's my third car of this type, raised and with bigger wheels, so I'm a bit used to how the behavior is on the road).

FCA had already changed my box for an "AE" ... which was always a disaster. Now with this second change for the successor of the "AA", so the "AB", I found a Jeep that should have been as it was when I bought it, especially for the selling price that was way too high...
So did you have an AA box and then an AB box? I was told there wasnt a difference (just different manufacturing areas, thus no updated TSB), but it seems like yours drove better?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So did you have an AA box and then an AB box? I was told there wasnt a difference (just different manufacturing areas, thus no updated TSB), but it seems like yours drove better?
There is no difference between the two except they changed a taper on the shaft to help in assembly. Every box ever made gets its final adjustment done by hand. There is a large “acceptable tolerance “ on the final over center adjustment. I have two of the AA boxes, and an AB box. Every one of them are adjusted different from the factory.I have had one of the AA boxes in the jeep and it drove so, so, the AB box is in the keep now and drives great.

FE34040E-2A0A-4EBF-BF40-385B20B112F0.jpeg
Sponsored