Sponsored

Tera Flex review of Jeep 4xe

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I met Dennis (the guy in the video) at an offroad show a few years ago. I was immediately turned off by his know-it-all attitude. Despite never having used their gear, I had nothing but good impressions about Teraflex prior to meeting the guy. But I walked away from their booth that day worried that their approach to engineering is the same as their approach to sales/marketing. He was leading every conversation with this air of extreme overconfidence and oversimplification of the facts. The JL was still relatively new when I was at that show, and several other visitors had questions about it. Dennis was sort of all over the map with his responses, sometimes right, sometimes very wrong, but supremely self-assured the entire time.

I actually didn't even know he was a pseudo-offroad-celeb until I saw this video and subsequently read up on him. But it made me chuckle how, sure enough, he lead into it with, "this is going to answer every question you ever had about the 4xe".

I'm not a Jeep apologetic by any means, and I've said so in many of my prior posts on this forum (and have stirred up plenty of Jeep fanboy anger by speaking honestly about Jeeps). So this is not just me trying to defend my upcoming purchase. I have zero brand loyalty/allegiance, and own numerous vehicles of various makes. So, with that out of the way, I've gotta say that this Teraflex 4xe video is a piss-poor excuse for automotive journalism, and I would be highly reluctant to use their parts if their engineers similarly take only a shallow surface-level dive when coming up with solutions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Luckily, it appears engineering takes their jobs seriously. I like their lifts though I may go with the first available which will be Mopar.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Luckily, it appears engineering takes their jobs seriously. I like their lifts though I may go with the first available which will be Mopar.
Yeah, to be fair to Teraflex, the sales/marketing team at my firm is a constant source of misinformation and headaches too. Can't count how many times we've had a "you told the prospects what??"-conversation internally.

Last edited:

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
If you take the Teraflex videos seriously you are missing the point. They are fun and witty (at least I think so). They have good information presented in a tongue-in-check manor. I love their videos.

With regard to the "drag races": If you listen carefully, he does say "very accurate tests".

Enjoy the video for what it is, tongue-in-check entertainment. I did.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Fuel economy: You have to listen from 6:15 to 6:59 (or not). I think this is hilarious when comparing to the 392.
And know one cares... :LOL:

Last edited:

CaliforniaWheelin'

First Name
Sullivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
Will someone do us all a huge favor and loan their 4xe to Doug Demuro for a few hours so we can get a proper review? Lol. That would be amazing.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Will someone do us all a huge favor and loan their 4xe to Doug Demuro for a few hours so we can get a proper review? Lol. That would be amazing.
THIS is More Doug Demuro and THIS is the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Jeep's new plug-in hybrid, part of what's referred to internally as the JL generation. Now I've already done a review of the "regular" Jeep Wrangler JL, you can find that review over on my main channel. Today we'll be looking at what's unique about the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe, I'm going to take you through all of its quirks and features, and then I'll get it out on the road and drive it, and then I'll give it a Doug Score (TM).

But before I get started, be sure to check out Cars and Bids, my new car auction website...

It writes itself, it really does!

That said though, Doug's great. I enjoy his videos. I'm bummed he never showed up at the HRE Open Houses after he moved to San Diego. Did get to meet Matt Farrah out there though. Actually I wonder if they even do those anymore given the last year...

eLECTRICON

I love Dennis and his videos!! He has very sardonic humor. No F-BOMBS givin!! I've beat the HELL out of Terraflex products literally in Hells Gate/Revenge and the only thing that broke was a stock front drive shaft! Teraflex dates back to the 1950s beginning as MEPCO (Military Equipment Parts Company), a distributor of Jeep parts and accessories for military Jeeps as well as the CJ. Also weirdly enough I'm getting better numbers than what most of people's videos are showing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I love Dennis and his videos!! He has very sardonic humor. No F-BOMBS givin!! I've beat the HELL out of Terraflex products literally in Hells Gate/Revenge and the only thing that broke was a stock front drive shaft! Also weirdly enough I'm getting better numbers than what most of people's videos are showing?
What numbers are you seeing with your 4xe?

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
20.5MPG, 49MPGe in a 20m drive. 5.8sec(the same 3x) 0-60 in Hybrid 4 auto mode. I'm also pushing 35"tires. I do however have an intake and modified exhaust dyno'd at 392hp in e-save mode with regen on. When I punch it in Hybrid mode its all gas.
will you be posting the Dino numbers? also what i take and exhaust are you running? those are very, very respectable numbers running 35s. btw... What 35s did you go with?

eLECTRICON

will you be posting the Dino numbers? also what i take and exhaust are you running? those are very, very respectable numbers running 35s. btw... What 35s did you go with?
I only asked for max hp and tourqe as well as program for 35's. I have Falken MT's. I put a cat back Borla for a V6 on it. For the intake I removed the air box and mounted a K&N cone filter on the stock tube. Keep in mind I have 4:10 gears in the Rubicon. I'll take pics on Monday. I work all weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I only asked for max hp and tourqe as well as program for 35's. I have Falken MT's. I put a cat back Borla for a V6 on it. For the intake I removed the air box and mounted a K&N cone filter on the stock tube. I'll take pics on Monday. I work all weekend.
Thanks for the information! the 35" Falcon MT is a pretty heavy tire, so still getting that power down on the dyno, having the 0-60 times you clocked, and getting that MPG is great news. gives me a little more comfort with taking a chance on it instead of one of the other engines. With some of the reports of issues already popping up with so few delivered it is a bit unnerving but still feel it's the right choice.

OP
OP

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
0-60 Probably also depends on Rubicon be Sahara due to the gearing. 4.10 vs 3.73.
Sponsored