slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Picture of my “swapped box”. Notice the part number.

D5E1E4E5-398D-4C68-8945-7C888E452804.jpeg
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Picture of my “swapped box”. Notice the part number.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") D5E1E4E5-398D-4C68-8945-7C888E452804
That's the latest rev aluminum box, same one I have stock in my 2020.

JerseyDIrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well, I finally had a chance to bring my 18 JL to the dealer to get the TSB performed, and they said the steering felt fine to them and denied service. I was shocked. I explained that the Jeep wanders between lanes on the highway and requires constant steering corrections to keep straight. They said "sorry, we can't replicate". I showed them the TSB and politely explained that their subjective opinion on this matter was irrelevant. The TSB clearly states that if I report the symptoms, which are very real, the TSB is to be performed. They flat out said no, they would not do it. They didn't care what the TSB said and kept repeating that Jeep would not reimburse them for repairs. I called Jeep, opened a case, and today I received a call back from a Jeep rep who gave me the same nonsensical answer- "tech needs to verify in order to have repairs covered".
What is going on here? My Jeep has the issue. Jeep came up with a fix and issued a TSB to address it. But now neither the dealer nor Jeep is willing to honor it? My Jeep is under warranty and I can't get the steering fixed? I'm simply shocked.
Definitely putting my new Ram purchase on hold for now. If this is representative of what I should expect from my dealer and FCA related to service and warranty repairs, I'm going to give a different mfg a shot.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Woof. Reached out to my dealership to ask about this, and their reply was both to the wrong name, and asking how they could help with my vehicle search :facepalm:

Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Beyond the Steering TSB issue, I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue when turning to left full lock (like pulling into a parking spot), and getting a loud squeak when centering the wheel? First time I heard it, my wife thought I side swiped the car I parked next to.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Well, I finally had a chance to bring my 18 JL to the dealer to get the TSB performed, and they said the steering felt fine to them and denied service. I was shocked. I explained that the Jeep wanders between lanes on the highway and requires constant steering corrections to keep straight. They said "sorry, we can't replicate". I showed them the TSB and politely explained that their subjective opinion on this matter was irrelevant. The TSB clearly states that if I report the symptoms, which are very real, the TSB is to be performed. They flat out said no, they would not do it. They didn't care what the TSB said and kept repeating that Jeep would not reimburse them for repairs. I called Jeep, opened a case, and today I received a call back from a Jeep rep who gave me the same nonsensical answer- "tech needs to verify in order to have repairs covered".
What is going on here? My Jeep has the issue. Jeep came up with a fix and issued a TSB to address it. But now neither the dealer nor Jeep is willing to honor it? My Jeep is under warranty and I can't get the steering fixed? I'm simply shocked.
Definitely putting my new Ram purchase on hold for now. If this is representative of what I should expect from my dealer and FCA related to service and warranty repairs, I'm going to give a different mfg a shot.

YUP!.... I've always been a Wrangler fan, but that new Bronco looks pretty good!

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
My jeep is still at the dealer. I got a call from the service rep saying they were waiting on the hex nuts, and they couldn't do the repair until they got them, since it's a different box. At least I know they will be using the actual new steel box, since I know the new box does take nuts.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
My jeep is still at the dealer. I got a call from the service rep saying they were waiting on the hex nuts, and they couldn't do the repair until they got them, since it's a different box. At least I know they will be using the actual new steel box, since I know the new box does take nuts.
But it doesn't according to the TSB.

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But it doesn't according to the TSB.
Yeah, I see after looking over it again. I watched a video on Youtube and it showed nuts attached to the old steering box, so I assumed the new box had separate ones. From watching the video it looks like the steel box has internal threads. Now I'm worried that he told me that.

Last edited:

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I just got the TSB 08-003-21.
They put in the old bolts in instead of using the new ones

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0725

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got the TSB 08-003-21.
They put in the old bolts in instead of using the new ones

IMG_0725.jpeg
That's messed up.

I'm really really hoping that on my JL that they where just waiting on the right bolts. I talked to my service rep today, and explained to him that the new steel box doesn't have any nuts, and that the threads are internal on the box. He explained to me that the parts just arrived today and they would be able to have my Jeep done by tomorrow evening. He doesn't know the difference between the steel or aluminum box and said he didn't see the actual box.

My assumption was that everything came as a kit, but maybe it doesn't judging by what they did to your Jeep.
Sponsored