First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I suspect it needs to seep into the very small crack between the hinge assembly and door since that’s the only way to coat the unprotected aluminum under the hinge. I squirt the WD40 along the top and side of the hinge.
You can also take the hinges off one at a time, not too difficult if you have heat, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench
Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna go ahead and go forth with the fix on mine

June 2020 driver side front door

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges CA28C000-1BC0-44EF-A325-67DCF286B49E

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 17C03300-E22E-4CB2-8519-F5379CF988A0

March 2021 Diver side front door
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 458BD8E3-48B1-448C-912E-986B3E466C08

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 9CEBAF5F-6507-49E7-A1C8-2B70B5C58E2A

For sure growing!!! Jeep has 12000 miles on it. Always garaged.

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
So the possible preventative fix is wd40? How often should it be applied? Are we to simply cover and coat the entire hinge assemblies with wd40? Is it acceptable to wipe the excess or should it be left to soak in?
I don't think anyone has a scientific answer to this...

I'm going to guess the more often the better.

As far as how long it needs to creep, the best thing I can think of is this video by project farm as far as how fast penetrating oils creep:

After I while I can't imagine that the outside excess would be allowing it to go any further.

I think that I will just apply some before every wash, let it penetrate for a while, then wash the car to clean of any that's left.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Doing the same thing and expecting different results?
this issue wont be fixed due to incompatible metals - that’s fundamentally wrong.
We have talked enough here, the problem is very simple, really extremely simple (poor quality of assembly): the aluminum sheet of the door (hood and tailgate) and the hinge have no paint or primer at the place of the junction of 2 or poor quality. Squirting WD40 (or other repellant) prevents water (and humidity) from staying there and aluminum corrosion does not start easily. it is necessary to act regularly and at each occasion (rain, washing, snow) it's my experience nothing more ...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
So WD40 (or items shown in above video) will not harm the paint correct? Best possible practice is to just spray the hinges directly with WD40 making sure to get all angles. Let sit for a while, then wash off?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So WD40 (or items shown in above video) will not harm the paint correct? Best possible practice is to just spray the hinges directly with WD40 making sure to get all angles. Let sit for a while, then wash off?
I’d use something other than wd40. Wd40 is not a corrosion preventative. I’m not doubting the others that say it works, but there’s much better out there. Just my opinion.
I use fluid film. I took my hinges off and wiped it on all the bare metal.
After each wash, I spray some on a q tip and follow it around the outline of each hinge
It’s gunna get real messy is you spray anything like this directly on the paint
Edit: there’s lot of other great options other than fluid film as well. Also, this will be my last post I mention fluid film, I feel like I’m starting to beat a dead horse here :CWL:

Last edited:

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WD40 or CRC 5-56 do not attack the paint (fortunatly ...) They are just to repel water (humidity), the advantage of these products is that they are very penetrating and they do it very well. Not "wash" after application (no no), just blot up what runs around. But this does not replace serious protection (epoxy or paint) with disassembly. It's just to prevent corrosion from starting (by humidity).

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d use something other than wd40. Wd40 is not a corrosion preventative. I’m not doubting the others that say it works, but there’s much better out there. Just my opinion.
I use fluid film. I took my hinges off and wiped it on all the bare metal.
After each wash, I spray some on a q tip and follow it around the outline of each hinge
It’s gunna get real messy is you spray anything like this directly on the paint
Edit: there’s lot of other great options other than fluid film as well. Also, this will be my last post I mention fluid film, I feel like I’m starting to beat a dead horse here :CWL:
It is not very "complicated" with the small cannulas at the end. A few minutes to treat all the hinges, a can in one hand and a clean cloth in the other. I give my experience Andy and it may be better than lamenting on this forum .

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
It is not very "complicated" with the small cannulas at the end. A few minutes to treat all the hinges, a can in one hand and a clean cloth in the other. I give my experience Andy and it may be better than lamenting on this forum .
it for sure is, as long as it works for you thats all that matters!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I noticed it last year on the hood below the Rubicon sticker, it has now grown to all the door hinges, and 2 of the doors are starting to show corrosion in the center of the panel, this morning I noticed the windshield frame is starting to have spots of corrosion, build date June 2018 with 50k miles. Makes me sick, I custom ordored this and dumped another 12k into it. This is my 5th Jeep since 1989 and I am really thinking of getting rid of it and moving on from @JeepCares.
Sorry to hear this, Greenegg. Send us a private message with more details so we can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Has Jeep now learned how to paint aluminium? If you order a new one do you get the same paint quality as in 2019?
Imagine spending 75k for the 392 and it rusts out in a year:surprised: