Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I have and had focused on the passenger side as I did some work there installing the Aux switches, I did have a bent pin that caused the side view mirror to stop moving but got that fixed. I will check the driver's side but everything else works and the fob flashes.
With all controls going through the drivers door it could be the trigger point on this system so worth checking at least. Even though Sahara's should have all wiring in place it might be worth just making sure they are with the links in post #453 from Etch. There has to be a solution.
Sponsored

heykoolaid3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red
I just got back from the dealer. They added the code without calling corporate. I changed the left gate door handle a few days before. It works!! It doesn’t show in my settings yet, but I hear it takes a bit. THANK YOU for all your posts!! Awesome!

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok, so I installed mine today. Had a pretty big OH CRAP moment, but other then that it went pretty well.

Tailgate went pretty easy.
Driver door though... one of the bolts for the window decided to snap in half! Had to remove the window track to drill it out and fix it. Other then that, it went easy.
Passenger door I did much easier, but did break some of the plastic on the inner panel and door handle.

Works fine now, no issues at all. It's so nice to have. Used a Tazer to activate it.

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
Thanks for the tip on the window bolts — they are stiff! I didn’t use anything but a hand socket for fear of putting too much torque on them. Otherwise my install on 2021 JLR went fine. I would rate the difficulty as 3-4 however because of all the plastic parts that get pushed around in the door when changing the harness. I also always have trouble with the weird wiring plug latching mechanisms — especially when you can barely see them inside the door. The proximity system is really nice though, when all done! You get spoiled fast.

david63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 & 2015 2 door JK Sport
With all controls going through the drivers door it could be the trigger point on this system so worth checking at least. Even though Sahara's should have all wiring in place it might be worth just making sure they are with the links in post #453 from Etch. There has to be a solution.
Was able to check over the weekend and unfortunately, it appears all the wires and connections are there and good. This leaves me back at square one in terms of why this is not working, frustrating, to say the least, ANY suggestions are welcome at this point.

Sponsored

Hakan

First Name
Hakan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Found an alternative to wait months for wire harness.
Nismopar.com sell a small kit with just the wires from handle.
https://nismopar.com/catalog/produc...r-jl-gladiator-jt-custom-door-handle-harness/
Delivered in a couple of days.
With instructions too.

Not too tricky to install. Thanks to people who made all videos in this thread.
The only tricky part is to get the new wires through the waterproofed seal in the door. It is filled with some rubbery material. That resist even a screwdriver to be pushed through. Just push harder.... then I taped the naked connectors to the screwdriver and pulled it back. The rubbery material seem to recover and hopefully seal again.

To make things look nice I taped the new wire to the old one using a Tesa 51608 tape. Looks like original.

When inserting the naked contacts make sure the small bump is facing same side as the white locking strip in connector.
Then just push in both at same time until click. Be sure you get the color right green with white is not that different to green with yellow stipe wire....

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_5972.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_5959.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_5969.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler IMG_5968.JPG

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
Ok, so I installed mine today. Had a pretty big OH CRAP moment, but other then that it went pretty well.

Tailgate went pretty easy.
Driver door though... one of the bolts for the window decided to snap in half! Had to remove the window track to drill it out and fix it. Other then that, it went easy.
Passenger door I did much easier, but did break some of the plastic on the inner panel and door handle.

Works fine now, no issues at all. It's so nice to have. Used a Tazer to activate it.
How long did it take you? I got a quote from a local 4x4 shop who said they researched it and it would take 10-12 hours. They also said I'd need a Tazer but I have a 4XE and it's already well known the Tazer doesn't work so he didn't research that hard.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It took maybe 2 hours for all of it. But that's with me also never tearing apart s door.

tph88

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I just got back from the dealer. They added the code without calling corporate. I changed the left gate door handle a few days before. It works!! It doesn’t show in my settings yet, but I hear it takes a bit. THANK YOU for all your posts!! Awesome!
What did you ask to have them add the code? I went today to have them repair the brake assist (was a recall) and an oil change. I asked if they could add the code and I gave them the instructions added by MarkY3130. When I checked out 2 hrs later, there was a different person at the desk (the original person had gone to lunch) and he said they were waiting for a call back from the regional ( or something ) manager and they would get in touch with me. That was a few hours ago, they are closed for the day and I still haven't heard back. Not sure why it was so difficult for them to add the code?
Really disappointed! The dealer is 40 minutes away (that is the closest one) and I don't really want to have to drive back. I guess I will get one of those cables and try jscan.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
What did you ask to have them add the code? I went today to have them repair the brake assist (was a recall) and an oil change. I asked if they could add the code and I gave them the instructions added by MarkY3130. When I checked out 2 hrs later, there was a different person at the desk (the original person had gone to lunch) and he said they were waiting for a call back from the regional ( or something ) manager and they would get in touch with me. That was a few hours ago, they are closed for the day and I still haven't heard back. Not sure why it was so difficult for them to add the code?
Really disappointed! The dealer is 40 minutes away (that is the closest one) and I don't really want to have to drive back. I guess I will get one of those cables and try jscan.
JScan worked fine for me.. then you have the app to your vin & cable for any future needs. I personally would rather avoid a dealer if possible and the hassle trying to get them to add the code. Much less stressful.. good luck!

Sponsored

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I just ordered the parts to at least get my drivers door working. I have the JL Unlim
A lot of us have, I did the install on two Jeeps. One a Rubicon and one a Sport S, the Sport was a bit more work.

Gregj

I just ordered the parts to do my drivers door on my Jeep Unlimited sport and need to add the two wires that are missing, but I can't figure out where the second connector is located. I know in one of the posts it said kick plate I believe. Isn't the kick plate where the door removal connector is? Can you tell me where I can find the other side? Thanks

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
You will need to remove the kick panel on the driver's side of your vehicle. Once the panel is removed you will find the gray connector that is circled in the picture. The 2 wires that needed added go from that gray connector to the door harness connector or 4 wires if you are adding both sides.
20200614_123710.jpg
20200614_123848.jpg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I found the wife a Rubicon she liked but this was the only option we like that it doesn’t have. I’m definitely interested.

Fasco1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
You will need to remove the kick panel on the driver's side of your vehicle. Once the panel is removed you will find the gray connector that is circled in the picture. The 2 wires that needed added go from that gray connector to the door harness connector or 4 wires if you are adding both sides.
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20200614_123848
Jeep Wrangler JL Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler 20200614_123848
Okay thanks, so the drivers door wires have to travel about 5 inches? I can see why the manufacturer left it out.