Sponsored

53.6 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
A lot of people have asked the question “What is the gas milage of the Wrangler 4XE?” Here’s why that is an enormously problematic question. Also, here’s why MPGE and MPG can not be confused.

53 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

Please share this video with anyone who tells you the 4XE will get 49 miles to the gallon. Yes, it looks like I’m getting 53.6MPG on my trip odometer but that’s not a real number.
Sponsored

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I think the best way to really figure it out is the old fashioned way. Just drive like normal and when you fill up the car record how many miles from last fill up and divide by gallons. That's the only true way to figure out your MPG.

Now obviously with a hybrid that's going to vary wildly. If you are on a 600 mile trip on the Interstate at 75 mph you will probably get 18MPG, if you are just taking short trips around town and recharging every time you will probably get several hundred MPG!

All I know is that I have 170 miles on my 4xe so far and the gas gauge had barely moved!

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. Like @Asterix2112 is saying, when people report MPG in a 4xE it’s going to be with an even bigger “YMMV” than other vehicles. And the best way to do it is going to be to set trip A to zero miles when you fill up, wait till the next time you fill up, and divide miles by gallons. That’ll tell you your MPG for that specific tank... could easily be 18 mpg, could be 300 mpg if all you do is 10 miles trips between charges for months on end.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
What makes this really hard is plugging it in every night. It is almost like putting an unknown amount of “fuel” into the Jeep, so the measure is wonky. Maybe one clean way, for those who really care closely, would be starting with a full charge when you fill up, and avoiding plugging it in until you refuel - only using the regen capability built in to the Jeep.

My 2 cents at least. Mine won’t be picked up until mid June when I get back from Asia. 😀

I think the best way to really figure it out is the old fashioned way. Just drive like normal and when you fill up the car record how many miles from last fill up and divide by gallons. That's the only true way to figure out your MPG.

Now obviously with a hybrid that's going to vary wildly. If you are on a 600 mile trip on the Interstate at 75 mph you will probably get 18MPG, if you are just taking short trips around town and recharging every time you will probably get several hundred MPG!

All I know is that I have 170 miles on my 4xe so far and the gas gauge had barely moved!

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
What makes this really hard is plugging it in every night. It is almost like putting an unknown amount of “fuel” into the Jeep, so the measure is wonky. Maybe one clean way, for those who really care closely, would be starting with a full charge when you fill up, and avoiding plugging it in until you refuel - only using the regen capability built in to the Jeep.
Well now your getting into a totally different thing. I think he was asking what the MPG was irrespective of how much charging you might do. If you start getting into what the energy impact is INCLUDING recharging, you are getting into way to many variables. What is the cost of your electricity (dependent on where you live, what time you charge if you provider has different rates for different times)? Where does your electricity come from (hydroelectric, nuclear, coal, natural gas, solar, wind etc...) and how do you attribute a cost to the different types (obviously coal is more expensive and dirtier then solar, but how to place a value on it)?

I have had electric cars for 5+ years now and always charge at home. Obviously I pay more per month because charging does cost money, but I have never bothered to figure it out because it's just too much of a pain. All I know is I have never really noticed the increase, but I have definitely noticed that I barely ever use a gas station (and now that I have a hybrid as my 2nd car it will be even less), so it is saving me money. And regardless of where my power comes from (nuclear and natural gas in my case) it's probably going to be cleaner overall than gasoline.

Sponsored

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Chris, this is a great video, I've often been confused about how it's doing the calculation. In your example, MPG should be infinite, but because of the way they do the calculation of maxing at 99 MPG for any given instant it should really show 99 MPG. It looks like the reason it is showing 53 MPG is that when you're stopped, the instant MPG is 0 (you can see this because as you're sitting there filming this your trip MPG is going down), so the only way to get to 99 MPG on a trip is to never stop. This calculation really makes no sense; I'm shocked that Jeep took this approach. It's truly a meaningless number.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
Precisely! Folks still want to be able to tell their friends that their new hybrid Jeep gets xx miles per gallon. If that is important to you, and accuracy matters too, then control how much electricity you feed it between refueling.

My rough math is that my fuel cost for at least half of my 20 mile (one way) commute will be 50% cheaper as I can use only electric. And that assumes I use 17kw of electric to go 21 miles, and I top it off every night via the wall charger.

I think the video was well done. It just shows how irrelevant that the traditional measure of fuel economy is to a plug in hybrid.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
well one could simple do 3 scenarios, Plug in and charge up and take long highway trip at 65sh, fill up before and after, divide by gallons. Would give one a highway mpg on long trip with single charge.

2nd would be just use in hybrid mode for a week

3rd would be the assanine mpg with just using the battery which no one cares about because it is bogus, using the battery mostly.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Wouldn't the real measure just need a longer average time? The same as with a conventional engine, the longer average time is more accurate. Operate the 4XE as normal with your normal plug ins. Use a month or two as your average time and report that number.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris, this is a great video, I've often been confused about how it's doing the calculation. In your example, MPG should be infinite, but because of the way they do the calculation of maxing at 99 MPG for any given instant it should really show 99 MPG. It looks like the reason it is showing 53 MPG is that when you're stopped, the instant MPG is 0 (you can see this because as you're sitting there filming this your trip MPG is going down), so the only way to get to 99 MPG on a trip is to never stop. This calculation really makes no sense; I'm shocked that Jeep took this approach. It's truly a meaningless number.
Interestingly enough, I reset that trip odometer a little bit ago and it shot up to 60+. I can't figure that out at all.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't the real measure just need a longer average time? The same as with a conventional engine, the longer average time is more accurate. Operate the 4XE as normal with your normal plug ins. Use a month or two as your average time and report that number.
Yes, except for I have no way to measure the electricity being used.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, except for I have no way to measure the electricity being used.
You could if you were motivated enough. I’m not even motivated enough to look up how one would do that, but there’s definitely a way!

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could if you were motivated enough. I’m not even motivated enough to look up how one would do that, but there’s definitely a way!
I could either install a Sense whole-house power meter or replace my EVSE with a ChargePoint. I'll do one or the other at some point.

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
A lot of people have asked the question “What is the gas milage of the Wrangler 4XE?” Here’s why that is an enormously problematic question. Also, here’s why MPGE and MPG can not be confused.

53 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

Please share this video with anyone who tells you the 4XE will get 49 miles to the gallon. Yes, it looks like I’m getting 53.6MPG on my trip odometer but that’s not a real number.
Interesting that MPG displayed there is actually showing MPGe. I guess that’s a good way to train people to think about the vehicle in terms of MPGe. Does it show you the amount of gallons of gas used? That would allow a quick calculation of MPG (with no consideration for electrical energy used).
Sponsored