Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Either of these help?

PXL_20210412_231630030.jpg

PXL_20210412_231607848.jpg
I just noticed these run CVs in front instead of the traditional U Joints. Does anyone have specs on these to see how they are strength wise? I do a significant amount of trails and off-road driving, and will be running at least 35s, most likely 37s this time. I know the front u joints were weak when running 37s or larger so wondering how these will hold up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kremz

Kremz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I just noticed these run CVs in front instead of the traditional U Joints. Does anyone have specs on these to see how they are strength wise? I do a significant amount of trails and off-road driving, and will be running at least 35s, most likely 37s this time. I know the front u joints were weak when running 37s or larger so wondering how these will hold up.
I think it's still a U-Joint. The part for it appears identical to all other years/models of JL. I'm not the expert but my understanding is you don't want the U-Joint to actually be the strongest component in order to facilitate it being the part the DOES break first.

2018 JL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! 2018_JL

2021 4xe:

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! 2021_JL4xe

Last edited:

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
What level 2 ev charger are people buying and installing for the 4Xe? I am looking to have an outlet installed as I don't want it hard wired into my house, and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to have a Nema 14-50 plug or 6-50 plug installed. I have done searches on Google about their difference and there are as many opinions as you would expect but I am not finding a clear answer.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's still a U-Joint. The part for it appears identical to all other years/models of JL. I'm not the expert but my understanding is you don't want the U-Joint to actually be the strongest component in order to facilitate it being the part the DOES break first.

2018 JL:

View attachment 447511

2021 4xe:

View attachment 447512
I can't see the photos, but the one posted in this thread was not the same as my 2018, 2019, or 2020 JLUR. there was no boot, the u-joint was clearly visible. the 4xe appears to use a CV style. ( I think I remember overseas Rubicon's using CV, but not in the US)

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
What level 2 ev charger are people buying and installing for the 4Xe? I am looking to have an outlet installed as I don't want it hard wired into my house, and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to have a Nema 14-50 plug or 6-50 plug installed. I have done searches on Google about their difference and there are as many opinions as you would expect but I am not finding a clear answer.
Hey AmarilloJLU - you should start a separate thread on this one. I know I'll be watching it!

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

2018 JL:

2021 4xe:

ok, now I can see the images. I did not have the boot on any of my Rubicon's, or any others I know. that's nice to have the boot to keep the grime out.

OP
OP
Kremz

Kremz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I can't see the photos, but the one posted in this thread was not the same as my 2018, 2019, or 2020 JLUR. there was no boot, the u-joint was clearly visible. the 4xe appears to use a CV style. ( I think I remember overseas Rubicon's using CV, but not in the US)
I re-added the photos. They have a part number and it's the same across all 2021 models it appears. I think they literally just added a boot to cover it?

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
I'm in the same situation but am considering hard wiring. My understanding is anything above 40 amps requires hard-wiring so I'm considering that route, though I would prefer plug-in. The 4xe won't take advantage of anything over 40 right now but I'm considering future capabilities and don't want to pay for the electrical installation twice. I'm looking at the Chargepoint Home Flex charger which supports up to 50 amp charging. I'm new to all this so if anyone has better info on this it would be great to hear.

Sponsored

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Thanks for the info. I’ll keep it in mind on my drive back. What is the purpose of cooling down multiple times?
You're heat cycling the engine, as much as practicable on a long drive. Get it up to operating temp, let it cool down, etc. Strictly speaking it's not necessary anymore. I'm a proponent of "drive it like you stole it" right off the lot personally. It can be a very contentious topic.

Clipper Creek, highest current you can afford.
https://store.clippercreek.com/residential

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
First check to see if your state or power company offer rebates for specific chargers. That may sway your decision.

jjbardis74

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
I could be wrong but I think if you have the full time 4 wheel drive then you get CV joints and if you dot then you get the U joints. Also I think most of the orders if done before January then everyone got the full time 4wheel drive.

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
First check to see if your state or power company offer rebates for specific chargers. That may sway your decision.
I have looked into that and they do not have any rebates at the time, just the federal tax credit for purchase and install. I wish they had a rebate