Should Jeep make a 2 door Sahara?

Should Jeep make a 2 door Sahara?

• Total voters

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Funny how some need to express a quick opinion about fellow Sahara owners.

Thing is, Sahara 2-door held its own in sales when it was offered as a JK.

Per FCA “knowing its numbers”, that’s one big assumption. Despite all the rosy press releases about how well Q1 sales went, the reality is FCA lost market share in Q1: FCA sales rebounded at half the rate of the overall market.
Yeah, but the Sahara JK and the Sahara JL aren't targetting the same audience. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the "pretty boy" Jeep (come on, there's no such thing as a pretty boy Jeep...except for the High Altitude). But I guess the Sahara trim is targetting an audience that's looking for a tad more luxury. Which ain't a bad thing at all.

Now, FCA probably has stats for the 2DR showing the audience is too limited for a Sahara trim. Would I consider it if I was looking for a tad more luxury? Probably. But i'd also pick the JLUS instead, to be honest.

I'm only one man, that being said. But frankly, I don't see a lot of those potential units flying off the dealers.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but the Sahara JK and the Sahara JL aren't targetting the same audience. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the "pretty boy" Jeep (come on, there's no such thing as a pretty boy Jeep...except for the High Altitude). But I guess the Sahara trim is targetting an audience that's looking for a tad more luxury. Which ain't a bad thing at all.

Now, FCA probably has stats for the 2DR showing the audience is too limited for a Sahara trim. Would I consider it if I was looking for a tad more luxury? Probably. But i'd also pick the JLUS instead, to be honest.

I'm only one man, that being said. But frankly, I don't see a lot of those potential units flying off the dealers.
Again, that is a lot of assumptions.

There are a number of proven analytical techniques, broadly known as conjoint analysis, automakers use to optimize the number of trims, body type combinations and bundling options, so that it is efficient to produce, maximizes profits for the automaker and is easy to use by the customer.

When I see FCA issuing endless trim levels, and using such a convoluted system for optioning vehicles, my sense is FCA is skipping this important step. After all, it costs money to do these analyses and, if there’s anything we know about FCA is that it likes to be penny wise and pound fool.

So, my guess is FCA made a decision on 2-door Sahara the same way it does most other things of this kind: it pulled it right out of its ass.

:like:

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
All the pretty boys here buy 4 doors.
While I've become accustomed to being called a Handsome Man...

I'll take Pretty Boy.

At near 50 I'd take it as a compliment :CWL:

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it would sell well at all. As it is, the 4 door outsells the 2 door all day long.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Again, that is a lot of assumptions.

There are a number of proven analytical techniques, broadly known as conjoint analysis, automakers use to optimize the number of trims, body type combinations and bundling options, so that it is efficient to produce, maximizes profits for the automaker and is easy to use by the customer.

When I see FCA issuing endless trim levels, and using such a convoluted system for optioning vehicles, my sense is FCA is skipping this important step. After all, it costs money to do these analyses and, if there’s anything we know about FCA is that it likes to be penny wise and pound fool.

So, my guess is FCA made a decision on 2-door Sahara the same way it does most other things of this kind: it pulled it right out of its ass.

:like:
Might be, I don’t know. But my guess is if there was a penny to make out of it, FCA would jump with momentum on the opportunity.

Sponsored

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
... an over three year old thread... My perspective follows:

I’ve purchased three Saharas to date. I prefer them due to the on-road tires, upgraded brakes & “pretty boy” styling (colored fenders & HT). Call me a pretty boy, I’m totally cool with it. I just prefer/enjoy the 2 door Sahara. It’s my quasi-DD & fourth toy, that has now officially replaced my motorcycle(s). Gave up motorcycles this year after thirty years of ownership.
I recently purchased an 80AE - essentially the Sahara. I like my painted fenders, Alpine Audio, & on-road worthy tires & HD brakes. I’m good! YMMV
Cheers/B

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it would sell well at all. As it is, the 4 door outsells the 2 door all day long.
FCA has this general habit of restricting trims and powertrain combinations, and then complaining that there is no demand.

It killed the 300 SRT in N.A., although it continues to offer it in Australia and the Middle East. Same thing with Sahara 2-door: it is offered elsewhere but here.

FCA had been offering the Full-Time 4WD on Rubicons overseas for years; it just started offering it here. We have to thank Ford Bronco for that.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Yes, but it should be retro like the Quadratec Jeep. :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Should Jeep make a 2 door Sahara? quadratec-30th-anniversary-YJL-build-11

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just can't see someone who wants the fancier style and on-road amenities of the Sahara being fine with passengers climbing the Jeep jungle gym to get in the back seat. Pretty sure most of those people would want an actual door for that. I could be wrong but I just don't see that happening often.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That's about it, really. Maybe leather Sahara seats. But again, you can get leather seats in the S. And you can get the 8,4" screen too.

What I meant is: if you're going for the Sahara trim, I guess you want the fancy look that comes with it. Otherwise, why would you pick the Sahara option? That being said, if you want the fancy look, you probably won't want dirty shoes on your seats and you probably won't want the off-road capability. So why would you pick a 2DR Sahara, then?

I mean, is there a demographic out there who'd buy it? Sure. Is that demographic enough for Jeep to make a penny out of it? That, i'm not so sure.

Sponsored

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
If the Sport S offered larger tires and painted fenders, there would be no need for the Sahara in my opinion. However, the cost of adding both to a Sport S puts you very close to the cost of a Sahara. So if you want painted fenders and can live with 32” tires, the Sahara is a good option. Plus you get a few minor extras With the trim.