Sponsored

That 6MT transmission: I really like it!

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Hello there, bonjour.

Before ordering, i've read many times that the 6MT transmission was kind of messy or cumbersome to deal with.

Two weeks after delivery, i'm sincerly wondering why these comments were made. That 6MT's just fine! Okay, I admit the 5th and the 6th gear are useless when you're not on the highway. But i'm curious to know why or how some folks didn't like it.

Oh. One negative: no dead pedal is kind of frustrating at the beginning. But I got used to it just fine.

So, if you're one of those who regret that 6MT option, what's the issues you came up with?
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
No complaints besides the clutch grenading after the first 1000 miles in the middle of nowhere and then the tow truck breaking down. That and the stock 3:45 diff gears on the Sport.

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
Hello there, bonjour.

Before ordering, i've read many times that the 6MT transmission was kind of messy or cumbersome to deal with.

Two weeks after delivery, i'm sincerly wondering why these comments were made. That 6MT's just fine! Okay, I admit the 5th and the 6th gear are useless when you're not on the highway. But i'm curious to know why or how some folks didn't like it.

Oh. One negative: no dead pedal is kind of frustrating at the beginning. But I got used to it just fine.

So, if you're one of those who regret that 6MT option, what's the issues you came up with?
I didnā€™t like 1st gear starting until it broke in a little and I got used to it. Also Loving it now. What rpms do you start off in first gear? Just curious because Iā€™m still tweaking my starting.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I didnā€™t like 1st gear starting until it broke in a little and I got used to it. Also Loving it now. What rpms do you start off in first gear? Just curious because Iā€™m still tweaking my starting.
If only I was looking at my gauge when I'm taking off...

By the sound of the engine, i'd say around 2500rpm when I take it cool and 4000rpm when I want to rip it. But yeah, i'm not looking at my rpm gauge that often.

Since it's still brand new, I take it cool.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
If only I was looking at my gauge when I'm taking off...

By the sound of the engine, i'd say around 2500rpm when I take it cool and 4000rpm when I want to rip it. But yeah, i'm not looking at my rpm gauge that often.

Since it's still brand new, I take it cool.
i love this gearbox, its 100x better than the gearbox i had in my 2018 wrx, for comparison

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
i love this gearbox, its 100x better than the gearbox i had in my 2018 wrx, for comparison
I also had a WRX in the past (2016) and that 6MT was a pig to deal with. Fun, of course, but very picky.

JL's rev hang is much easier to deal with, I agree with you.

Some folks who own a 2020 WRX say Subie worked a lot on that transmission to minimize that neverending rev hang, however. Never drove it but it seems Subie got a grip on it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
No regrets, but I am going to ask the dealership to bleed it when I go in. I have consistency issues with mine. The bite point can move around on me.
Also, I launch/balance at around 1500 on daily driving. That might be why Iā€™m so sensitive to the bite point moving.
I do wish these were geared down further. Iā€™m planning 5.13ā€™s now, and will probably do it before I move up to 37ā€™s even if it takes a few months to instal the lift and get the new tires. Like you said, 5/6 are pretty useless. My other car goes into 6th before 30, so quite the change.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Also love mine, and agree on the sport gearing not being great, but that's going to be one of the first things I replace!

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Two years in and Iā€™m still trying to find the sweet spot for reverse, otherwise zero complaints here with the 6 forward gears.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love mine. I'm regeared to 4.88's and no complaints. I will say though, I don't get the fascination with a dead pedal. (both from the MT and AT people). Like, where do you put your foot? The dead pedal gets in the way of where I want my foot to be. Had a loaner vehicle recently that had one (not a Wrangler) and it drove me nuts.

An auto would certainly be more convenient for on-road driving, but I have to have a manual for off-roading. It is such an advantage off-road. (At least rock crawling)

Sponsored

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
I had made my mind a long time ago to order a JL with the V6 and the manual gearbox.
I test drove a V6 manual last week-end and it changed my opinion completely:
- my biggest concern is that there is no room for my left foot, and that even if I left my foot permanently on the clutch pedal (which you're not supposed to do), it would still be in a very un-natural and unpleasant position; I also tried to leave my foot closer to seat - not good either - slows down the reaction time, bad for the knee, bad for the spine.
- the second issue was that there seems to be a big gap between the demultiplication of the 3rd and the 4th gear - basically you just have to drive with gears 1-2-3 when you're not on a country road or the freeway.
Apart from that, the gearbox is really good (short throws, quick shifts possible) - but I'm going to buy a 2.0L T.

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
I too miss the dead pedal (sorry @MarkY3130). But other than that, my two weeks of ownership have been so much fun!

As for reverse, I tend to not even touch the gas when backing up. Get it rolling a bit then drop out of reverse. Its too tall in my opinion.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Love mine. I'm regeared to 4.88's and no complaints. I will say though, I don't get the fascination with a dead pedal. (both from the MT and AT people). Like, where do you put your foot? The dead pedal gets in the way of where I want my foot to be. Had a loaner vehicle recently that had one (not a Wrangler) and it drove me nuts.

An auto would certainly be more convenient for on-road driving, but I have to have a manual for off-roading. It is such an advantage off-road. (At least rock crawling)
How can a dead pedal be in the way of where you want your foot to rest? If thatā€™s where you want your foot, by definition, thatā€™s where the dead pedal should be. I mean, am I missing something? Itā€™s like saying Ā« that fridge casing in my kitchen drives me nuts: itā€™s in the way of where I wanted my fridge! Ā»

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

my only gripe is reverse lurching and the crummy 3.45 gear ratio. the JLU needs 3.73 stock or 4.10. i finally swapped to rubicon axles with 4.10 and 33's its so much nicer to drive than it was when i bought it

Jorginho 113

First Name
Jorginho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 6-Speed
On my personal opinion! Iā€™m glad I got 6speed! Didnā€™t test drive the automatic and Iā€™ve read itā€™s really really good but oh man! Manual in jl platform -Itā€™s so good and lots of fun! yea no room for dead pedal but it so much fun to drive I forget about my left foot position lol. Now that I have it, I wouldnā€™t even consider driving the automatic with the JLs. Zero regrets!!

AF11249A-9FB5-46B8-97F5-BD4292F6B1BD.jpeg
Sponsored