Sponsored

Willys Edition JL Club Thread

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Ordered a Willys on 02/26/21. It arrived at the dealer a week or so ago. Finally got to pick it up yesterday. It isn't a fancy Sahara or 392, but so far it is everything expected.

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread DSC_0187
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread DSC_0193
Sponsored

Bkaab

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 J10, 88 YJ, 99 TJ, 02 WJ, 06 LJ, 12 KK, 20 JL
I think the Willys is still my favorite trim for the JL so far. If you're getting a Willys (not the Sport) and getting all of the stuff (I see they stripped LED package for 2021), it's an awesome middle ground. Loved the snot out of my 2-door, but with a kid on the way, I went for a 4-door and because I wanted it to feel like a full-on upgrade, went for a Rubicon at the same time.

I'm kinda relieved to hear that about the top and seats. Both considerations I had for my Sarge Green JLUR, but I think you've convinced me that the look isn't worth the extra stress. Mine stays outside 24/7, so staining would be a huge factor for me.
100% agree with that. I really liked the look but it’s a Jeep not a Mercedes so having to treat the Jeep like a Mercedes just to keep from messing up the top and seats isn’t worth it.
The LED light thing is a bummer. I built our Jeep over again this year and to get all the same options cost around $2,000 more then last year.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
100% agree with that. I really liked the look but it’s a Jeep not a Mercedes so having to treat the Jeep like a Mercedes just to keep from messing up the top and seats isn’t worth it.
The LED light thing is a bummer. I built our Jeep over again this year and to get all the same options cost around $2,000 more then last year.
Highly agree. When going for a 4-door, every Willys build that I would have been happy with came too close in price to. Rubicon that I couldn't bring myself to be that cheap. Not to say these things are cheap, but at the time and choosing not to build it were partial factors.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
A similarly optioned Rubi seems to be about $5-6k more. Fairly close for some, miles away for others, to each their own. Personally, the only upgrade that seems a to be a really big PITA/expense if you got it aftermarket is the wide axles. All the rest I wouldn’t mind just building up on my own over time.

You could of course cut out some DD quality of life options in the Rubi to get the price down, but I’d rather build up the off road capability on my own instead of the comforts on my own. Aftermarket seems to often exceed OE quality in terms of wheeling upgrades, but not so much on the comfort upgrades (though their some pretty sweet examples of those in the forum as well).

In the end for me, the reality is that it’s going to be a daily driver with wheeling in the off time, so Willy’s seems the best value for prioritizing those comforts and then building up the rest on my own.

Put another way, with $$ limited, I can live without the lockers for a while, but the comforts and safety groups are a must have if I’m going to hauling the kids around on weekdays.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should qualify all that though by mentioning again I’m looking at the diesel, which comes with the Dana 44’s and rubi suspension anyway, so that’s a bonus.

Sponsored

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A similarly optioned Rubi seems to be about $5-6k more. Fairly close for some, miles away for others, to each their own. Personally, the only upgrade that seems a to be a really big PITA/expense if you got it aftermarket is the wide axles. All the rest I wouldn’t mind just building up on my own over time.

You could of course cut out some DD quality of life options in the Rubi to get the price down, but I’d rather build up the off road capability on my own instead of the comforts on my own. Aftermarket seems to often exceed OE quality in terms of wheeling upgrades, but not so much on the comfort upgrades (though their some pretty sweet examples of those in the forum as well).

In the end for me, the reality is that it’s going to be a daily driver with wheeling in the off time, so Willy’s seems the best value for prioritizing those comforts and then building up the rest on my own.

Put another way, with $$ limited, I can live without the lockers for a while, but the comforts and safety groups are a must have if I’m going to hauling the kids around on weekdays.
I should qualify all that though by mentioning again I’m looking at the diesel, which comes with the Dana 44’s and rubi suspension anyway, so that’s a bonus.
Definitely not meant as a slight to you all. I hope I didn't come off that way. I apologize if so.

I love the Willys trim and would have had no issue going with it again. I just knew for me, I'd always be wondering "what-if" and would likely never do those upgrades on my own. There's plenty of built up Willys in this thread that are more capable than I'll likely ever build my Rubi and I love that.

I think if I hadn't gotten my Willys only a little over a year earlier, I'd have had no issues sticking with the trim. I did my first ever Badge of Honor trail in a bone stock one, so the Rubicon is more of a choice for me out of emotion/personal preference than actual need or usability.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just for comparison purposes, today I found a Rubicon at a local dealer as closely equipped/similar to mine as possible, plastic bumper etc. The sticker was $47k and listed selling price was $44k. That’s $9k more than I paid for mine.

I started out wanting a kinda plain Sport, like my JK was. When I saw the advertised price differences last year between the Sport and the Willys, I could no longer justify the Sport for just $2k less.

I liked and still like the Willys as is. A JLUR or suspension will be the only suspension mod I do, but not until I need tires. I’ll probably go with replacement bumpers at some point to.

captainmac44

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport
Ordered a Willys on 02/26/21. It arrived at the dealer a week or so ago. Finally got to pick it up yesterday. It isn't a fancy Sahara or 392, but so far it is everything expected.

Looks amazing! Congrats!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
technically, it's just the shocks that are shared with the Rubicon, not the springs.

the only thing that the Rubicon had that i might have liked more than the Willys was the slightly wider axles.
the funky Anti-Sway bar disconnect, lockers, and the Red dashboard were all non-starters for me. and personally, i prefer the yellow front turn signals and standard tail lights more than the white front turn signals and the weird-looking LED tail lights.

enjoy the klatta. the diesel rocks!

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
Definitely not meant as a slight to you all. I hope I didn't come off that way. I apologize if so.

I love the Willys trim and would have had no issue going with it again. I just knew for me, I'd always be wondering "what-if" and would likely never do those upgrades on my own. There's plenty of built up Willys in this thread that are more capable than I'll likely ever build my Rubi and I love that.

I think if I hadn't gotten my Willys only a little over a year earlier, I'd have had no issues sticking with the trim. I did my first ever Badge of Honor trail in a bone stock one, so the Rubicon is more of a choice for me out of emotion/personal preference than actual need or usability.

I feel I really lucked out getting a 2020-ordered MY21 Willys. Really wanted the LED lights, saw minimal use of lockers in the long run (not hugely worried on resale, as hoping to keep it long term). If I had to order now though, might take a different direction - kids (9 / 11) already complaining that the Willys doesn't have the rear center armrest like our GTI had. We almost went Freedom Ed just for that - cheapest factory non-Katzkin leather / cheapest rear center armrest. Kids will stop complaining once the doors come off. Overall, I still feel like it's a good, factory value proposition for someone with no time/patience/$ (or a legit use case necessarily) to execute their own build, but still want a step up in some of the hardware>

Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
So when and why were the LED lights removed from the package? That's one of the better selling points of a Willys for me.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Not at all! Just my reasoning, going over and over it all in my head before purchasing.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No telling why the LEDS were taken out of the pkg. Just looked, it’s now a $1040 option for the LED headlight and foglight pkg!

Around here, Willys seam to be out selling all other trims. If one shows up on the lot, it’s gone in a short time.

As far as resale, have any of you seen what a used JL or even JK Sport sells for? A Rubicon has better resale because it cost more to begin with. I would bet that a Sport retains a higher percentage of it’s sale price though.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
No telling why the LEDS were taken out of the pkg. Just looked, it’s now a $1040 option for the LED headlight and foglight pkg!
Latest order guide (March) still shows LED headlights and fog lights as packaged with the Willys (not Willys Sport) trim. May be a configurator error....

May want to verify with a dealer if ordering.
Sponsored