tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Hey, nice folks!

Want to gauge opinions here... At what point would you stop calling or considering your Jeep or another’s as being “stock”?

I ask for two reasons: general curiosity and the five times I’ve gone wheeling so far (my off-road is open once a month), I’ve told people my Jeep is stock - so go easy on me. I said stock despite the following; rubicon rock rails, steel bumper and winch, and 31.5” BFG AT KO2s. Because of the tires being stock size and no lift, I simply considered it stock.

Since last month though, I’ve swapped out the suspension with rubi shocks and higher spring rate springs from a rubi plus a .75” spacer (netted at least 2”) and swapped out the tires with 33x12 mud terrains. With those mods, I personally would stop calling myself ‘stock’.

What’s your take? Not just for my specific situation, but in general. And I believe it’s relatively important when wheeling with others to gauge how capable their rig is - I’ve appreciated folks who pushed but not taken me places I couldn’t get out of.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well, I'll have you know, I've swapped out my stock antenna for a much better looking shorter antenna...

If you have made modifications that significantly increase the off-road capabilities of your jeep and how well it can handle obstacles, then it is no longer stock. What that entails is a judgement call. I say any of the following are non-stock.

Lift
Larger wheel size (not just different tires)
Winch
Lockers (non-rubi)
Bumper/Stinger

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
My opinion is similar, though to me, changing the tires makes it "modified" . Even though they're the same size as stock, a more aggressive tread design will get you through stuff the stock tires couldn't. If a stock Jeep can't do it, but the modification made it so you can, you're modified.
Likewise, I think any changes apparent to a non-enthusiast also makes it "modified". For example, if someone were to paint their Jeep pink. That's certainly not stock, so it's a modified Jeep even though it's not any more capable. As for off-road conversations it would still be referred to as "stock" because color would be moot. So in the end it's a judgement call, which is dependent on the conversation. Each person has their own take on what is stock and what is modified. To be technical though, I guess once you do anything to it that isn't OEM (no matter how minor), it's modified.

For your particular Jeep (before the current mods), I'd still would have called that modified. With a winch and tires (especially those tires, which are great BTW) you'll be more capable than a stock Jeep. Just my opinion though, which obviously varies from other opinions.

Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I consider stock to be as delivered with only Mopar accessories/parts added which is how my JLUR will stay.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Mine is basically stock. It has the stock Rubicon Wheels/Tires, and suspension added. Plus, several vinyl stickers. Oh, some Westin Rock Rail steps. Also, some added on LED backup lights. Then there are some +100% Halogen Headlight bulbs. Let's not forget some window tinting, and some Weather Tech floor mats.
Other than that, its basically "Stock".

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
That's a tough question to be honest. To me if I see a lifted jeep, larger tires, possibly winch and light beams, etc I would say modified. Seeing a Jeep with ONLY bigger tires than what came with it from the factory I would venture to say stock...with larger tires.

As far as cosmetics (paint, tops, etc) I wouldn't consider that modified. Albeit it's not factory. So that then takes us to look at the past. Say you're shopping for a "stock" CJ or any other vehicle. You would look for something "original" meaning it has not been modified. That would include any and all of the above items.

So it's a judgement call on each person's viewpoint which can differ greatly. To me a stock vehicle is exactly the way it came from the factory. However I have added the Sunrider by Bestop, and the fuel door by MOPAR. But no way in hell am I going to tell someone I modified it because they'd die laughing as I'm riding on the same tires/suspension that it came with and doesn't have a lift, steel bumpers, etc. Can I tackle harder trails with my "modified" Jeep. No. So Maybe THAT's the difference.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The Hello Kitty modified Jeep ;)

stupidjeepfeatured-678x381.jpg
Wow. And here I thought I was being completely ridiculous by saying someone painted it pink. Guess not. I would definitely call that custom or modified. Not in regards to an off-road conversation, but that's definitely not a "stock" Jeep.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I purchased a Rubicon, and I like it the way it is. Tinted windows.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
By all accounts here mine isn’t modified. :angel:

BC3A8B71-F5A7-433D-B5A1-9EB6B16FFC09.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey, nice folks!

Want to gauge opinions here... At what point would you stop calling or considering your Jeep or another’s as being “stock”?

I ask for two reasons: general curiosity and the five times I’ve gone wheeling so far (my off-road is open once a month), I’ve told people my Jeep is stock - so go easy on me. I said stock despite the following; rubicon rock rails, steel bumper and winch, and 31.5” BFG AT KO2s. Because of the tires being stock size and no lift, I simply considered it stock.

Since last month though, I’ve swapped out the suspension with rubi shocks and higher spring rate springs from a rubi plus a .75” spacer (netted at least 2”) and swapped out the tires with 33x12 mud terrains. With those mods, I personally would stop calling myself ‘stock’.

What’s your take? Not just for my specific situation, but in general. And I believe it’s relatively important when wheeling with others to gauge how capable their rig is - I’ve appreciated folks who pushed but not taken me places I couldn’t get out of.

Thanks!
;)Tyler...one of the key principles of investing is a diversified portforlio. While a 5 year window of your choosing will show the stock market rising during that period, it's ups and down make investing solely in it, over graduating from stock, and investing in less risky but less reward paying things like bonds and treasuries and 6 months of emergency cash should...………

wait...somebody's whispering in my ear...……….

Oh stock as in "mods," not "bonds." Sorry;)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
;)Tyler...one of the key principles of investing is a diversified portforlio. While a 5 year window of your choosing will show the stock market rising during that period, it's ups and down make investing solely in it, over graduating from stock, and investing in less risky but less reward paying things like bonds and treasuries and 6 months of emergency cash should...………

wait...somebody's whispering in my ear...……….

Oh stock as in "mods," not "bonds." Sorry;)
Bonds suck. :)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is stock except for Amp Power Steps and a dash cam. I wheel through some woods upstate and the Jeep handles it fine.
I don’t give a crap if people judge it
I don’t give a crap if people call it Mall Crawler
I don’t give a crap if people don’t wave back when I wave.
I still owe 17k on it. If you wanna make a payment then you can judge me.
Sponsored