Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
So I was truley on the fence with buying this model. To me there was only one reason not to buy it, and for me it was the biggest. I dont understand why Jeep did not make the Regen "Fully" regen the battery. I mean it will help it stay up on charge a little longer under Max regen, but, not like the other hybrids out there. I DID NOT want to plug in the JEEP. So for me it was a deal breaker. I just decided to get the Eco diesel instead.
It seems your understanding is incorrect regarding both regen and charging. The software will allow up to 95% charging either through e-save + battery charge (which will burn a lot of extra fuel) or an extremely long hill. While the battery indicator shows 1%, it is never allowed to go that low. The system shows 1% when there is actually ~15% charge left in the battery. This is done both the prolong battery life and to allow the electric motors to add to the 2.0L when max acceleration is desired. The diesel will be better when your normal daily drive exceeds 100miles, but I think this platform will provide better efficiency and power for all other uses.

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I’ve used approximately 1/8 tank of gas for 300 miles. not bad for just over 2 gallons of gas!

More stats: I’m not on solar (yet), so it costs me $0.13/kWh here in SE PA. That’s $2.25 if the battery is totally empty... but I believe the battery is supposed to keep about 15% of its charge when kicking over to ICE. FYI: I’m getting 26 miles to a charge...at least that’s what the dashboard says my range is when I turn it on.

Jeep must use some sort of algorithm to estimate mpg. I’m up to 319 miles now with 252 of them on battery. I’m up to 29.4 mpg.
From my UConnect...
I’m not sure why the mpg doesn’t appear here. The 29.4 shows on my dash.

At this rate, my initial tank of gas from the dealership will last until June!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! 679E2D90-C9B1-4DC4-8267-8AA8621D6404

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
yes it does. that's the steel steering box. thank you!
That’s what we want right? Interesting to hear your thoughts on the gladiator knuckles as well. Could just be all around solid with a bit more weight to keep it centered.

I am excited to test. My first long drive will be ~180 miles and the last 30 in mtns. I am thinking all electric initially then hybrid recharge for 2.5hrs and last 20-30 electric. I am sure I was getting ~10mpg going up some steep mtn roads in the JLU v6 previously so it is all how you plan.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what we want right? Interesting to hear your thoughts on the gladiator knuckles as well. Could just be all around solid with a bit more weight to keep it centered.

I am excited to test. My first long drive will be ~180 miles and the last 30 in mtns. I am thinking all electric initially then hybrid recharge for 2.5hrs and last 20-30 electric. I am sure I was getting ~10mpg going up some steep mtn roads in the JLU v6 previously so it is all how you plan.
yes, I am glad it's the steel,steering box. i had read a while back they were moving back to aluminum for the 4xe.

for the steering knuckles i was hoping it would use the Steel ones like the Mojave and I think 492. the 4xe is already using the larger max tow gladiator axles and larger brakes so I was hoping they also added the heavier duty steering knuckles. from what I have read, replacing the knuckles with steel ones like Reid racing etc. makes a big difference in how well the vehicle tracks. I don't think the steering knuckles is near as critical as the steering box though. If you are running 37s or larger the steering knuckles will be more noticeable, but overall I think most should be fine. all 3 of my 3.6 JLURs had the aluminum knuckles with 35s, and it was ok.

Sponsored

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
From my UConnect...
I’m not sure why the mpg doesn’t appear here. The 29.4 shows on my dash.

At this rate, my initial tank of gas from the dealership will last until June!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving the 4xe, thoughts, info and more! 679E2D90-C9B1-4DC4-8267-8AA8621D6404
Ok, now I get it. This wasn't a full tank. That was the point of confusion. Is a "hybrid mile" a pure ICE mile or is that a combination of electric and ICE?

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Ok, now I get it. This wasn't a full tank. That was the point of confusion. Is a "hybrid mile" a pure ICE mile or is that a combination of electric and ICE?
I haven’t driven on e-save, so all hybrid miles are with electric assist. That’s the way I’ll run normally. Even when the battery was “depleted” to <1%, she ran on just electric when in parking lots and in 25 mph residential areas. Not sure how to get pure gas mileage without hybrid, or if that’s even meaningful based on my normal driving.

Hakan

First Name
Hakan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Just out driving my Rubicon4xe. To be nice to the engine I kept it in e-save. A new engine need some miles for good break in. I typically say 100miles and keep revs belov 3000 if possible. Gives smother cylinder walls when not too hard pressure from combustion gases on back of piston ring. And avoiding high piston velocities for the first miles.

Driving I notice it uses electrical motor when starting G from stop and around 10mph the engine starts. Very smooth operation. I more see it on Rev counter and hear engine start, acceleration is still smooth.

The feel is that I have instant torque at every start.
Also on highway the instant torque can be felt. No need to Rev engine and downshift. Acceleration is instant

Run on the high regen mode so lifting off gas pedal makes it brake.
Used to this from my other full electric car. It is a matter of taste what different people like. I find it useful using ony one pedal. Need brake for a full stop though.

Only had time for a 40 mile drive
Very happy with how it behaves

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Do we really need a break in period? I thought it is good to go from the start.

lishmac

First Name
SHLI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
great info, picking up mine end of April, mine is same color and has everything you had except painted fender, thank you for making me more excited and impatient

Sponsored

Hakan

First Name
Hakan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Do we really need a break in period? I thought it is good to go from the start.
Modern manufacturing do need less of break in but for that last extra performance it do help.
I was doing racing for some years and there we had a quick brutal break in. Powerseating. But we also changed piston rings every second race.......

The key is not to Rev too high in the beginning. But once past some hundred miles an occasional full throttle in high gear is beneficial. Basically full throttle on freeway for a few seconds and then let it run easy again for 10 minutes to cool off.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the max miles per tank are you guys getting with using hybrid modes and all electric? Apologize if this has been mentioned before.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It seems your understanding is incorrect regarding both regen and charging. The software will allow up to 95% charging either through e-save + battery charge (which will burn a lot of extra fuel) or an extremely long hill. While the battery indicator shows 1%, it is never allowed to go that low. The system shows 1% when there is actually ~15% charge left in the battery. This is done both the prolong battery life and to allow the electric motors to add to the 2.0L when max acceleration is desired. The diesel will be better when your normal daily drive exceeds 100miles, but I think this platform will provide better efficiency and power for all other uses.
I wish the sales guy would have better explained it to me. I did research, but all the information on it was pointing to it needing to be charged daily. I tried looking for information on it and not allot was told on the recharge or regen systems. Well, maybe my next one will be the 4XE as I really did like it at the time, but the diesel one out at the time.

Jeep-4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Modern manufacturing do need less of break in but for that last extra performance it do help.
I was doing racing for some years and there we had a quick brutal break in. Powerseating. But we also changed piston rings every second race.......

The key is not to Rev too high in the beginning. But once past some hundred miles an occasional full throttle in high gear is beneficial. Basically full throttle on freeway for a few seconds and then let it run easy again for 10 minutes to cool off.
My drive from the dealership will be 100+ highway miles. What's the best way to handle the break in with that kind of drive home.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
My drive from the dealership will be 100+ highway miles. What's the best way to handle the break in with that kind of drive home.
Vary the speed, pull off the road and sit for ~30 min to let things cool down a couple of times (so it gets multiple heating/cooling cycles). If you're really wanting to worry about that sort of thing.
Sponsored