Sponsored

7” to 8.4” upgrading screen size success

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
hi. I upgraded from 7 inch to 8.4 inch from infotainment. My USB2 doesn’t activate CarPlay,it’s charge one. Your CarPlay is working on USB2?
This is a known limitation on this upgrade. Mine behaves the same.
Sponsored

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
This is a known limitation on this upgrade. Mine behaves the same.
Interesting. I wonder if that’s how the 8.4 inch is supposed to behave. Maybe the 8.4 inch draws more power, and given that the Sport Trim only has 2 USB ports, the last USB is programmed to be charge one? Just a thought.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I'm still debating on where the best place to buy an 8.4" would be. I have a Sahara JL, that has a 7" in it now with Sirius. I'd love to add an 8.4" and get TRavelink and then add the WIFI antenna to get the hotspot service. My jeep also has the Aux switches installed.

Theres some on ebay that are used units for around $1000. Or I could spend a little more and get one from one of the Mopar resellers. I'm trying to confirm that if I buy from the Mopar guys, will I be able to add in the WIFI antenna and get the hotspot? I'm not worried about Guardian.

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
just wondering anyone who did the 7 " to 8.4" have any luck activating the offroad pages if you had them on the instrument cluster already ? thanks
I used my Tazer JL to add offroad pages to my 8.4" screen. Went from a 7" to the 8.4" screen.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
I'm still debating on where the best place to buy an 8.4" would be. I have a Sahara JL, that has a 7" in it now with Sirius. I'd love to add an 8.4" and get TRavelink and then add the WIFI antenna to get the hotspot service. My jeep also has the Aux switches installed.

Theres some on ebay that are used units for around $1000. Or I could spend a little more and get one from one of the Mopar resellers. I'm trying to confirm that if I buy from the Mopar guys, will I be able to add in the WIFI antenna and get the hotspot? I'm not worried about Guardian.
May I ask a couple of questions? What is your reason for wanting the wifi option? What do you plan to use the wifi for?

Sponsored

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
May I ask a couple of questions? What is your reason for wanting the wifi option? What do you plan to use the wifi for?
Thats a valid question. I want to activate the ATT hotspot plan for the Jeep. I have a 4 year old and we had WiFi hotspot in our Tacoma through ATT and the prebuy plans are really cheap and keeps that data off our phone plans.

we ended up using the WiFi more than I realized and we miss having it in this Jeep. having the hotspot just come on and be available on the ignition and be totally unlimited without affecting our phone plans or battery was convenient.
I wish we would have held out for a wrangler that had the 8.4 radio but we didn’t know the 7 inch didn’t have the same features.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a valid question. I want to activate the ATT hotspot plan for the Jeep. I have a 4 year old and we had WiFi hotspot in our Tacoma through ATT and the prebuy plans are really cheap and keeps that data off our phone plans.

we ended up using the WiFi more than I realized and we miss having it in this Jeep. having the hotspot just come on and be available on the ignition and be totally unlimited without affecting our phone plans or battery was convenient.
I wish we would have held out for a wrangler that had the 8.4 radio but we didn’t know the 7 inch didn’t have the same features.

Okay gotcha. I was able to get mine working. However it took multiple units to achieve it. I ended up with a radio that had previously activated and therefore had a mobile number associated with the radio. I have since turned it off. It just wasn't much of an added benefit for me in the long run. I added the lte antenna and everything. There are lots of aftermarket option to add this ability. Mobile hotspots from your carrier. Plus just the hotspot option on your own mobile phone. It took me months to find the right rep that would activate the service for me because it was not associated with my vin.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Okay gotcha. I was able to get mine working. However it took multiple units to achieve it. I ended up with a radio that had previously activated and therefore had a mobile number associated with the radio. I have since turned it off. It just wasn't much of an added benefit for me in the long run. I added the lte antenna and everything. There are lots of aftermarket option to add this ability. Mobile hotspots from your carrier. Plus just the hotspot option on your own mobile phone. It took me months to find the right rep that would activate the service for me because it was not associated with my vin.
Oh no. I’m kinda worried about that. I bought a new unit that came from a mopar parts wholesaler so it’s never been installed. I’m betting that the WiFi won’t work since the jeep isn’t coded for that option. I haven’t installed it yet, waiting on the lte antenna and cable to get here first. I’m also hoping to add travelink.

did you work with a dealer to get the WiFi option activated or att or both?

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

I agree, the Wifi option is really nice with kids (I have a 1yo, 3yo and 5yo) and my raptor had it.

Fortunately my wife's escalade has it and we take that on trips

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Does anyone know the sales codes I need to ask a dealer to flash to the jeep to add the WiFi option and possibly travel link?
I’ll search around the local dealers and ask them if they will do this for me.

Sponsored

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Does anyone know the sales codes I need to ask a dealer to flash to the jeep to add the WiFi option and possibly travel link?
I’ll search around the local dealers and ask them if they will do this for me.
I am currently trying to figure out how to get the sales code for mine as well. I purchased my 8.4" screen from "All Mopar Part"
Will update you on if I am able to get it from them.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I am currently trying to figure out how to get the sales code for mine as well. I purchased my 8.4" screen from "All Mopar Part"
Will update you on if I am able to get it from them.

If I find out the sales codes we'll need, I'll be sure to share them here as well, just in case one of us comes up lucky before the other!

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh no. I’m kinda worried about that. I bought a new unit that came from a mopar parts wholesaler so it’s never been installed. I’m betting that the WiFi won’t work since the jeep isn’t coded for that option. I haven’t installed it yet, waiting on the lte antenna and cable to get here first. I’m also hoping to add travelink.

did you work with a dealer to get the WiFi option activated or att or both?
I bought radios off of the forums. Dealers are no help at all.
If I find out the sales codes we'll need, I'll be sure to share them here as well, just in case one of us comes up lucky before the other!
I have the sales code at it at one point I can’t Remember what it was now. But it did not help in activating the Wi-Fi service whatsoever

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I bought radios off of the forums. Dealers are no help at all.

I have the sales code at it at one point I can’t Remember what it was now. But it did not help in activating the Wi-Fi service whatsoever
Was the dealership able connect your radio to your VIN with the sales code? Thats what Im trying to do so I can update it OTA.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I think that if you buy any 8.4 UAQ radio and install it into JL that has the 7", you are going to need to do some things to enable all the features:

1. For Sirius Travelink and Sirius Traffic you'll need to code the BCM to activate this feature in the radio, and then call Sirius to pay for a subscription once the feature has been turned on in the UAQ radio. You can either use a Tazer or some other security Gateway bypass to do this. The other option is to have the dealer "flash" the BCM with the sales code for these features.

2. For Wifi, the BMC will need to be flashed to allow this feature to be shown on the radio. You'll also need the LTE antenna installed on the sound bar. I havent found a security bypass and programmer that will enable this like we can for Travelink/traffic. So, we are totally reliant on the dealer to flash these sales codes in the Jeeps BCM. Once the wifi option is provisionined in the UAQ radio, you can get the LTE activated by ATT.

The reason: When the UAQ radio is installed, it will look at the CAN bus to see what sales codes it should provision, and it gets those from the BCM. I think dealers can flash any sales code to the BCM, but its gonna take a dealer thats willing to do this. If we have the sales codes, we might could make it an easier task for the dealer, instead of them looking this up and trying to do it.
Sponsored