Clicking noise when turning.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I am having this exact same issue. Noticed it when going slow in a parking lot and when I turn right I hear it pop just once. Turn left, nothing, back to the right and pop again. Not too bad or loud but I can feel it.

Had my wife turn it while I was in the front and if I put my hands on the JLUR metal bumper you can actually feel it, I can also see the tie rod and components slightly move when it pops. At high speed nothing, turing into a street you feel it but not that bad. Turning in to driveway and you feel it. Sit still and turn and you REALLY feel it.

I marked every bolt on the under carriage for fear of something coming loose and I check it after we are on a trail but that is about once a month at best. It drives perfectly straight, very smooth but any noise I don't know concerns me.

I have a great dealer and service rep so I will post what they find. Probably take it in tomorrow.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I am having this exact same issue. Noticed it when going slow in a parking lot and when I turn right I hear it pop just once. Turn left, nothing, back to the right and pop again. Not too bad or loud but I can feel it.

Had my wife turn it while I was in the front and if I put my hands on the JLUR metal bumper you can actually feel it, I can also see the tie rod and components slightly move when it pops. At high speed nothing, turing into a street you feel it but not that bad. Turning in to driveway and you feel it. Sit still and turn and you REALLY feel it.

I marked every bolt on the under carriage for fear of something coming loose and I check it after we are on a trail but that is about once a month at best. It drives perfectly straight, very smooth but any noise I don't know concerns me.

I have a great dealer and service rep so I will post what they find. Probably take it in tomorrow.
Tell them to pull the cotter pins and tighten the castle nuts on the 4 ball joints up front.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6

Did the dealer find the problem?

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Yes! Dealer found castle nuts were loose and tightened all four. Now that they are done, I have them marked with the paint pen. Free w/ warranty too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking noise when turning. 20210224_163929
which one is the castle nuts is the one on top left?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
which one is the castle nuts is the one on top left?
The castle nuts have the cotter pin through them. They got the name because they look like the top of the look out posts on castles I believe. Once you've finally tightened them down you advance them to the next slot on the castle nut that lines up with the hole in the bolt and then insert the cotter pin to keep the nut from turning.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
The castle nuts have the cotter pin through them. They got the name because they look like the top of the look out posts on castles I believe. Once you've finally tightened them down you advance them to the next slot on the castle nut that lines up with the hole in the bolt and then insert the cotter pin to keep the nut from turning.
Correct! Also, when you line the castle nut to the hole, you shouldn't loosen to get the cotter pin in, tighten it. But make sure to have a torque wrench as well

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Correct! Also, when you line the castle nut to the hole, you shouldn't loosen to get the cotter pin in, tighten it. But make sure to have a torque wrench as well
I any other case I would agree regarding the torque wrench :)
But regarding this situation they seem to WAY under spec the torque for these nuts, hence the clicking. What I did (over 2 years ago now) was simply tighten those nuts until the clicking stopped. They literally clicked while I was tightening them and when they stop clicking I stopped tightening.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I was hearing the described clicking occasionally and then a couple of weeks ago I installed the 2.5" dual sport Metalcloak lift and it became worse. Last weekend I checked the ball joint castle nuts and they were good so I laid under the front end while my wife cycled the steering back and forth. I could hear the clicking/popping but could not tell where it was coming from and nothing looked loose so the search continues. I just rolled 10k miles on the odometer.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was hearing the described clicking occasionally and then a couple of weeks ago I installed the 2.5" dual sport Metalcloak lift and it became worse. Last weekend I checked the ball joint castle nuts and they were good so I laid under the front end while my wife cycled the steering back and forth. I could hear the clicking/popping but could not tell where it was coming from and nothing looked loose so the search continues. I just rolled 10k miles on the odometer.
Put your finger or thumb across all the joints like the draglink and tie rod joints and feel for movement while she turns the wheel. YouTube has videos of what I'm talking about. Also what do you mean by the castle nuts were good? Did you pull the cotter pin, put a wrench on them and try to turn them?

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Put your finger or thumb across all the joints like the draglink and tie rod joints and feel for movement while she turns the wheel. YouTube has videos of what I'm talking about. Also what do you mean by the castle nuts were good? Did you pull the cotter pin, put a wrench on them and try to turn them?
I grabbed the drag link and tie rod while it was being cycled to see if I could feel it but couldn't. I also moved from the driver side to the passenger side but I couldn't narrow it down. Yes, I pulled the pins, put the torque wrench on them and they were all tight. Do you have a link to the youtube video?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The turn the engine on in the video but you can also do it with the engine off, I'd try it both ways.

What torque did you have the wrench set too? Mine were extremely loose and actually clicked while I was tightening them and I just tightened them until they stopped clicking.

Check you track bar as well.

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I went one notch past torque spec and they clicked while turning as well. Noise stopped after. I’d suggest the same.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this today on my 2021 with 3,000 miles. I only did the bottom ones because I didn’t have much time and they were the easiest to get to.

Only tightening those 2 resolved about 95% of my clicking woes when turning. I’ll likely check the top 2 next weekend.
Sponsored